news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Ian Duncan Smith talking about "helping the poorest in our society" is possibly the most hypocritical thing I've ever seen in my life!

The basic idea behind Universal Credit isn't a bad one. Having just one benefit that covers everything instead of lots of different benefits should both be easier for people applying and save money as requires less bureaucracy. The final implementation of it was a disgrace that fucked over lots of people, but I honestly think IDS started with good intentions and Cameron was trying to get him to squeeze an unrealistic amount of savings out of it. I don't think he was happy with how it turned out and he resigned when he was asked to make cuts to disability allowance at the same time the government was giving tax benefits to high earners.

Rather differentiates him from the current cabinet that he was willing to resign on a matter of principal. Even though I wasn't a fan of IDS or May I don't find it hypocritical them slagging Boris as I honestly think they have higher standards and an appreciation for the responsibility that comes with their roles that Bojo has never had.

32 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

The basic idea behind Universal Credit isn't a bad one. Having just one benefit that covers everything instead of lots of different benefits should both be easier for people applying and save money as requires less bureaucracy. The final implementation of it was a disgrace that fucked over lots of people, but I honestly think IDS started with good intentions and Cameron was trying to get him to squeeze an unrealistic amount of savings out of it. I don't think he was happy with how it turned out and he resigned when he was asked to make cuts to disability allowance at the same time the government was giving tax benefits to high earners.

Rather differentiates him from the current cabinet that he was willing to resign on a matter of principal. Even though I wasn't a fan of IDS or May I don't find it hypocritical them slagging Boris as I honestly think they have higher standards and an appreciation for the responsibility that comes with their roles that Bojo has never had.

Bedroom tax. PIP being slashed. Draconian health checks on the sick and disabled. All happened on his watch. Awful man.

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Not sure how the maths squares with them not having had 54 letters yet?

I have a feeling the pic of Spaffer and the can of beer will leak tomorrow. We all know it exists and the timing for it will be perfect. 

More letters will come then. Hopefully about 300

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I have a feeling the pic of Spaffer and the can of beer will leak tomorrow. We all know it exists and the timing for it will be perfect. 

I was a bit gutted it didn't emerge in the Sundays, though luckily I had a post-dry Jan hangover to distract me.

Anything of particular significance I should know about happening tomorrow?

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

I was a bit gutted it didn't emerge in the Sundays, though luckily I had a post-dry Jan hangover to distract me.

Anything of particular significance I should know about happening tomorrow?

The pattern seems to be DC revealing information just in time to hit the papers just before PMAQs

• Upvote 1

when i heard the story this morning that the treasury wouldn't sign off the nhs rescue plan, i said to the wife that it sounded like a spaffer-planted anti-sunak story and i'm even more convinced of that right now. spaffer is worried about a confidence vote.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

maybe newspapers already have picture but there is an embargo because of the police investigation?