news & politics:discussion

zahidf

looks like we're going to get road pricing something is needed when no one will be using petrol and paying lots in tax., lets hope we go for a simple system thats easy to roll out. there seem to be holes in the more complex systems.

20 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Major to be fair at least held the office with some level of respect and decency. 

Yea I think so

Those around him didn't and after his speech about being the party that would uphold decency it was a very easy attack for Blair.

Public like to really pick apart people who hold high ideals.

He also stopped an add campaign which depicted Blair as the Devil, as he knew of his strong Christian beliefs, wouldn't get that from this lot

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

is that that bad? £40/year doesn't seem that much...obviously unlucky for those who didn't get the original £200.

To me the worse thing with all this is it doesn't provide enough help for poorer households....and also there could be problems with this loan thing if energy prices remain high into next winter...

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

is that that bad? £40/year doesn't seem that much...obviously unlucky for those who didn't get the original £200.

To me the worse thing with all this is it doesn't provide enough help for poorer households....and also there could be problems with this loan thing if energy prices remain high into next winter...

It’s not good at all. £200 is barely going to do anything for those less off and then 6 months later it has to start being paid off regardless of if you have even benefitted or needed it. This ‘support’ doesn’t even come into effect till October so what happens in the short term?

This just seems like a way to hand more money to the energy firms. 

24 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s not good at all. £200 is barely going to do anything for those less off and then 6 months later it has to start being paid off regardless of if you have even benefitted or needed it. This ‘support’ doesn’t even come into effect till October so what happens in the short term?

This just seems like a way to hand more money to the energy firms. 

apparently this £200 isn't going to arrive till the autumn....april is going to be rough.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

apparently this £200 isn't going to arrive till the autumn....april is going to be rough.

thatys £200 we're each leaning to ourselves.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Is it just me or does that work out really well for couples that are currently living separately, but about to move in together? Between them they'll get £400, but only have to pay back £200.

Though for people living at home with their parents that move out after the £200 is given they'll be paying back money they never got. 

Or is it tied to individuals rather than houses?

2 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Is it just me or does that work out really well for couples that are currently living separately, but about to move in together? Between them they'll get £400, but only have to pay back £200.

Though for people living at home with their parents that move out after the £200 is given they'll be paying back money they never got. 

Or is it tied to individuals rather than houses?

There’s all sorts of issues with this. It would be a good move to die before you pay it back, except for the dying part. Emigrate maybe.

I think it would have been better to simply subsidise those that really need it, and pay it back through taxation. 

It also seems clear that there is no security with fossil fuels, so more diversification into various renewables would make fiscal sense, not to mention environmental sense.

14 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

There’s all sorts of issues with this. It would be a good move to die before you pay it back, except for the dying part. Emigrate maybe.

I think it would have been better to simply subsidise those that really need it, and pay it back through taxation. 

It also seems clear that there is no security with fossil fuels, so more diversification into various renewables would make fiscal sense, not to mention environmental sense.

on your last point...that is mid/long term solution...this needs a short term fix. I agree with just give money to people struggling with bills and pay back through some sort of wealth tax and/or windfall tax on shell and co...but this is a tory govt and sunak is a tory chancellor despite the nice smile.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

on your last point...that is mid/long term solution...this needs a short term fix. I agree with just give money to people struggling with bills and pay back through some sort of wealth tax and/or windfall tax on shell and co...but this is a tory govt and sunak is a tory chancellor despite the nice smile.

Labour had some of the solutions but that would mean big companies paying more instead of us so nah can’t do that.