news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So is it £200 per house ? 

If its per house then its going to be utterly pointless.  As someone living on their own will get £200 vs a family of four with much bigger bills only getting £200 ??   It must be "up to £200 means tested" ? surely ? 

Yes, but a person living on their own pays far more council tax (on a per person basis) than anyone who co-habits. Us loners have been getting shafted since council tax was introduced.

The single person rebate gives you 25% off.

The fact is, the single most decisive factor in determining how much council tax anyone pays is how many people live with, which is ridiculous. A single person living in a Band C property pays the same actual tax as someone in a household of 3 in a Band H (the top band) property.

That said, I don't know how this rebate will be calculated. I personally think that all local taxes and related rebates should be means tested.

Is that it? Is that all the ‘help’ we are getting?

I can’t believe Sunaks response to rising energy bills is a loan, brilliant. Good one mate.

Taking that aside the £200 ‘help’ isn’t coming till October which is 8 months away. 

The council tax rebate sounds good but will be swallowed up by the NI increase and for those on UC, it looks like the rebate will be less than the UC cut last Autumn.

What a joke. 

They could add a windfall tax to the energy companies or even just ensure the large energy companies actually pay their tax in the first place. But no we get a loan, screw the large blue chip firms it’s us plebs that have to pay it back in the end, thanks Chancellor. 

And with the Base rate just doubled as well, that means a lot of people's mortgage repayments will go up. But also generally the cost of borrowing will increase, which will definitely hit the poorest most. 

This rise seems nonsensical to me. It is apparently to cool inflation, but at the moment that is driven by energy prices and supply chain issues, not a surfeit of consumer credit.

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Well I've just had my energy company (Octopus) try to slap me with a £200 A MONTH increase for heat and power a two bedroom flat.

They can go fuck themselves.

Ouch! Is that down to a price rise? Or is it your direct debit increasing because it was set too low previously? 

56 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

There is only so much he can do though.  A labour government couldn't do much more.  There is only so much we can do to shield us from the realities of the worlds energy markets.  And we also have the HUGE bill from Covid to repay so the NI increases are required.  And remember how supportive you was of lockdowns and you said you couldn't care less about the economic costs.  Those things are now a reality sadly.  The debt from Covid has to be repaid so we have very fews options on reducing tax burdens more than this.

Not writing off £8.7 billion on unusable PPE would be a start.