news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think Thatcher is worshipped in today's tory party...stupid fuckers.

I understand that - but literally, in the two weeks leading up to the 1990 leadership challenge that sunk her, Labour were 15-20% ahead in polling. When she resigned, the polls switched overnight into a Tory lead - it was that big and immediate a difference. I can't see how invoking her resignation as "this is why you should rally behind Boris" would make sense to anyone with a vague awareness of history.

54 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They won an 80 seat majority while being led my a load of Eton and Oxford educated toffs same as they always are

Yeah, but the Brexit electoral reality distortion effect is now far less of a factor. The Tories haven’t really got anything to replace this to unify the weird coalition that voted for them in 2019.

Yes there are many other factors at play, but IMO this is one of the most significant - and one the Tories are most worried about. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, incident said:

I understand that - but literally, in the two weeks leading up to the 1990 leadership challenge that sunk her, Labour were 15-20% ahead in polling. When she resigned, the polls switched overnight into a Tory lead - it was that big and immediate a difference. I can't see how invoking her resignation as "this is why you should rally behind Boris" would make sense to anyone with a vague awareness of history.

They don’t really believe it, they are just making stuff up to suit Johnson’s agenda. It’s like how they harp on about the Queen but will happily lie to her and party on the eve of her husband’s funeral. Everything they say or do is based on lies.

15 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Yeah, but the Brexit electoral reality distortion effect is now far less of a factor. The Tories haven’t really got anything to replace this to unify the weird coalition that voted for them in 2019.

Yes there are many other factors at play, but IMO this is one of the most significant - and one the Tories are most worried about. 

Johnson also managed to give off the effect that he’s not a toff and is a man of the people. He is literally playing a part that is the opposite of that. Which is why he can reach parts of the electorate no other Tory can.

Hidden by the partygate furore. Has anyone else noticed that the much lauded Brexit free trade agreement with Australia, sold on the promise of cheaper wines, is about to be dismantled by new UK alcohol tarriffs....to the net disadvantage of an extra 40p on a £5 bottle.

Apologies if this has already been posted here, I've just seen it.

From Popbitch.

Obviously it's handy when the government you're opposing becomes totally engulfed in scandal (not to mention an active police investigation) but Boris Johnson isn't the only person who's been helping Keir Starmer boost his profile this last little while.

We hear Starmer has apparently been getting a bit of outside assistance recently, helping to train him up for media appearances. From Dermot O'Leary.