Jump to content

Glasto politics: Non covid news


zahidf
 Share

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Can you think of anything else because I was really struggling beyond the stuff Attenborough does...  I think it would still be made without the BBC - there is plenty of excellent stuff out there beyond the BBC.

So we could talk about Glastonbury coverage … coverage of the big sporting events , I also enjoy shows such as question of sport and match of the day is still excellent … Mind you other than sky sports I don’t have any of the other paid services which is probably unusual these days … I’d say personally I think the licence fee is good value for money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

You are on a Glastonbury Forum so there is an obvious one 😃

If you are just talking  TV then I reckon a lot of comedy, I enjoy have I got New for You, QI, Mock the week etc and some on BBC 3. Not sure if it is still the case but they allow concepts in and to grow, whereas more commercial companies may not go for it in the first place. So This Country being a recent one, something like little Britain that was nurtured on radio and then brought on in the not so distant past. I wonder if that side would be lost

I really hate the TV coverage to be honest.  Winds me up greatly when they do their little private sessions - that isn't Glastonbury and been more and more of a feature.   I really don't get anything from watching a festival on TV - being there is what its all about.

The rest of the stuff you say for me isn't all that great and similar stuff is done by others.

Edited by Barry Fish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

 

Such a stupid argument from JHB. I don't have kids, but my taxes pay for schools. I don't drive, but my taxes pay for roads. I don't watch EastEnders, can I get a discount on my TV licence? FFS.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

So we could talk about Glastonbury coverage … coverage of the big sporting events , I also enjoy shows such as question of sport and match of the day is still excellent … Mind you other than sky sports I don’t have any of the other paid services which is probably unusual these days … I’d say personally I think the licence fee is good value for money. 

All of that could be done by others and if people want it can then pay for it.

Other than Wimbledon and a bit of Rugby - what does the BBC cover these days ?   They couldn't even do the Olympic properly this time around due to commercial licensing issues they couldn't compete for...  So they got a single feed to tick box the lawful requirement...

Edited by Barry Fish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

Such a stupid argument from JHB. I don't have kids, but my taxes pay for schools. I don't drive, but my taxes pay for roads. I don't watch EastEnders, can I get a discount on my TV licence? FFS.

Not sure the education system and Strickly come dancing are quite the same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Barry Fish said:

All of that could be done by others and if people want it can then pay for it.

Other Wimbledon - what does the BBC cover these days ?   They couldn't even do the Olympic properly this time around due to commercial licensing issues.

Euros … World Cup … ok split with itv … it also has produced some great stuff over the years which has been exported over the planet … Shows like Top gear , Natural history stuff … the content many of us have grown up with … some obviously now sold … take away that creative content we are left with utter drivel . And I’d question if other providers could equal it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I adore the BBC. I always say that Great Britain has 3 things to be truly proud of the BBC, the NHS and Glastonbury. The tories seem intent on ruining 2 of the 3. 

People forget just what a huge range of stuff the BBC provides us with. It's not just TV, it's their range of radio stations, their website, the iPlayer and really they do a remarkable job. Is it flawless no absolutely not and in recent years I have been frustrated at times by their news coverage etc but I have always been careful of how I criticised because I saw this coming. They are doing the exact same with the NHS. I've had some pretty shitty experiences of the NHS in the last 2 years but again it doesn't mean I want the entire thing dismantled because the alternative is sooooo much worse. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Such a stupid argument from JHB. I don't have kids, but my taxes pay for schools. I don't drive, but my taxes pay for roads. I don't watch EastEnders, can I get a discount on my TV licence? FFS.

Thats what you get with JHB and people like her. They claim to love this country yet seem to want to tear up many of the institutions that help make this country good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I really hate the TV coverage to be honest.  Winds me up greatly when they do their little private sessions - that isn't Glastonbury and been more and more of a feature.   I really don't get anything from watching a festival on TV - being there is what its all about.

The rest of the stuff you say for me isn't all that great and similar stuff is done by others.

Aye, live gigs on TV tend not to be for me. Gets good viewing figures mind. 

The rest of the stuff is is obviously personal preference. I am unsure that other people do it though, I don't really see other broadcasters trying out new comedy and allowing this to grow in a less forced way. Yet to find another broadcaster that does stuff like introducing for up and coming bands, happy to be told of these others though so I can have a look/listen

Edited by fred quimby
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I adore the BBC. I always say that Great Britain has 3 things to be truly proud of the BBC, the NHS and Glastonbury. The tories seem intent on ruining 2 of the 3. 

People forget just what a huge range of stuff the BBC provides us with. It's not just TV, it's their range of radio stations, their website, the iPlayer and really they do a remarkable job. Is it flawless no absolutely not and in recent years I have been frustrated at times by their news coverage etc but I have always been careful of how I criticised because I saw this coming. They are doing the exact same with the NHS. I've had some pretty shitty experiences of the NHS in the last 2 years but again it doesn't mean I want the entire thing dismantled because the alternative is sooooo much worse. 

I saw a tweet earlier about the recipes on their site - and how there’s no faffy intro on them. It’s a fine resource.

Throw in the children’s TV - remember them showing educational shows at the start of the pandemic - and there’s so much to be proud of.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I saw a tweet earlier about the recipes on their site - and how there’s no faffy intro on them. It’s a fine resource.

Throw in the children’s TV - remember them showing educational shows at the start of the pandemic - and there’s so much to be proud of.

maybe if it was a subscription streaming service it would actually do very well and be a big problem for other streaming services which currently don't actually make money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I saw a tweet earlier about the recipes on their site - and how there’s no faffy intro on them. It’s a fine resource.

Throw in the children’s TV - remember them showing educational shows at the start of the pandemic - and there’s so much to be proud of.

Dear lord - listening to you two its like no other country exists or has reasonable TV 🙂 

All you are missing is a few flags in the the background (all the rage these days)

Edited by Barry Fish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Aye, live gigs on TV tend not to be for me. Gets good viewing figures mind. 

The rest of the stuff is is obviously personal preference. I am unsure that other people do it though, I don't really see other broadcasters trying out new comedy and allowing this to grow in a less forced way. Yet to find another broadcaster that does stuff like introducing for up and coming bands, happy to be told of these others though so I can have a look/listen

I think the justification to enforce the license fee is very much a thing of past.

Other than the quality of Children's TV I can't think of a single thing the BBC are doing others can not or are not...  Most Children TV is now done by production companies outside of the BBC anyway.

Would the country suffer if the  had to show highlights just like ITV ? 

Edited by Barry Fish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't get this ?  He was working so he was fine to travel ?

He was telling people not to travel to second homes, then travelled to his second home. It's the sort of thing that isn't a big deal on its own it make sense for the PM and his family not to be staying in the flat above the only open nightclub in the country but it's just another part of them ignoring their own rules.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

He was telling people not to travel to second homes, then travelled to his second home. It's the sort of thing that isn't a big deal on its own it make sense for the PM and his family not to be staying in the flat above the only open nightclub in the country but it's just another part of them ignoring their own rules.

Its not a "home" as such though is it... They are all offices in some form or another.  

I am with everyone on party gate - but this one doesn't stick if you engage your brain and sprinkle a little bit of reality  on the life of being the PM...

The focus on his wife I find a bit ghoulish.  She isn't elected and I don't really expect anything from her beyond a normal citizen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Its not a "home" as such though is it... They are all offices in some form or another.  

I am with everyone on party gate - but this one doesn't stick if you engage your brain and sprinkle a little bit of reality  on the life of being the PM...

The focus on his wife I find a bit ghoulish.  She isn't elected and I don't really expect anything from her beyond a normal citizen.

If the flat in Downing Street isn't a home why all the brouhaha over redecorating the place?

As I said it isn't a big deal on it's own but it does chime with what we know about ignoring rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...