news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It definitely feels like the whole thing is losing momentum a bit. Could do with another bombshell dropping or something.

Yeah it does in terms of rebellions … I don’t see what these MPs think this report is going to find that will make them change their minds either way … quite possible that a credible alternative hasn’t come forward because they don’t want the PM job at this stage ? 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah it does in terms of rebellions … I don’t see what these MPs think this report is going to find that will make them change their minds either way … quite possible that a credible alternative hasn’t come forward because they don’t want the PM job at this stage ? 

They’re just buying time to decide what’s best to do. Once the report is out they have to decide to back him or dump him.

I don’t think it matters if there’s anything new in there. They can simply say they were following due process.

1 minute ago, Justiceforcedave said:

They’re just buying time to decide what’s best to do. Once the report is out they have to decide to back him or dump him.

I don’t think it matters if there’s anything new in there. They can simply say they were following due process.

Yeah I agree but would have thought that if he’s going to be ditched that momentum and numbers would have organised themselves by now … the report won’t actually change anyones views …. 

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It definitely feels like the whole thing is losing momentum a bit. Could do with another bombshell dropping or something.

It’s definitely not losing momentum, just look at the stories last night play The Times article I posted where Sue Gray has details of who’s clocked in and out of No 10. Plus No 10 also think that the PPS Reynolds will turn on them to save his own skin. It’s just a lull before the weekend but things are moving in the background still.

It would be delicious after all this time of Johnson turning on people if someone does him in by turning on him. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

It’s definitely not losing momentum, just look at the stories last night play The Times article I posted where Sue Gray has details of who’s clocked in and out of No 10. Plus No 10 also think that the PPS Reynolds will turn on them to save his own skin. It’s just a lull before the weekend but things are moving in the background still.

It would be delicious after all this time of Johnson turning on people if someone does him in by turning on him. 

I meant more in terms of media coverage and chatter about it more broadly. Mind you the Ukraine news is rightly taking precedence.

1 minute ago, Ommadawn said:

I might be wrong but I don't think Boris even has to release the report in full. I was reading that he can redact anything he doesn't agree with.

Wow … will a redacted report drive more I’ll feeling and rebellion though ? I mean his mps probably will feel the heat from constituents if it’s all hidden away 

6 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Thicko Raab ducked the question "Will the report be published in full?" Eventually he said "it's up to the prime minister", which doesn't bode well!

Are the media and opposition going to allow him to mark his own homework this time? Is “report says ive done nothing wrong. No you can’t read it” really going to fly? 

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I meant more in terms of media coverage and chatter about it more broadly. Mind you the Ukraine news is rightly taking precedence.

I think it’s a combination of the weekend and the Ukraine news. It’s also a thing of there being so many scandals and bad news for the government that some of it gets shifted down the agenda.

I still think the Sue Gray report will be kinda useless although there is some hope if she’s now been talking to key witnesses like Cummings and others. 

13 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Are the media and opposition going to allow him to mark his own homework this time? Is “report says ive done nothing wrong. No you can’t read it” really going to fly? 

Some of the media will let that fly (The Sun, Express) but the rest and the opposition parties will go in hard as this will be their time to put enough pressure to get a VONC by the Tories. 

Equally Labour haven’t ruled out a VONC in the Commons either. 

Gordon Brown was a key part in saving the global economy back when the Crunch hit with many words leaders touting his ideas as the ones that got the recovery moving. There were many good economic policies that Brown implemented that helped many lives of the less fortunate. Even if you don't like him you surely agree he would be infinitely better than Johnson.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Gordon Brown was a key part in saving the global economy back when the Crunch hit with many words leaders touting his ideas as the ones that got the recovery moving. There were many good economic policies that Brown implemented that helped many lives of the less fortunate. Even if you don't like him you surely agree he would be infinitely better than Johnson.

brown had a strong sense of public service, that's absent from spaffer.

Just now, Neil said:

brown had a strong sense of public service, that's absent from spaffer.

Brown also has a good respect for the rules so we wouldn't be seeing multiple breaches of the Ministerial Code and parties in No 10, clearly Johnson has no such respect.

34 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Disagree. Asset stripping, ie gold reserves sale, and PFIs enabled them to ratchet up current account spending in order to meet his daft golden rule, only he didn’t, not really, he just moved the debt elsewhere. Like with tuition fees. Just smoke and mirrors. Plus the emphasis on a financial services lead economy and overseeing the deregulation of that industry certainly increased exposure to the eventual crash.

That continuation along the path laid out by Thatcher away from manufacturing from service jobs (largely based in the south east) also caused widespread inequality and left behind towns - which ultimately gave us Brexit - a consequence of the feeling that new era of the free market and globalisation had not delivered for a lot of industries, towns and people.

So yeah. Pretty bad. Blair and Brown were basically a pair of snake oil selling good time Charlies - buoyed on the crest of the global boomtime when they took power but then pursued short termist policies that ultimately weakened the economy.

471AA040-6A8A-4F93-B763-4F50E99E1497.jpeg

Edited by mattiloy
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Gordon Brown was a cool fucker. 

I'm not sure if he was cool or not but he was certainly an effective Chancellor that improved the lives of many and as I said helped the economy recover after there financial crash. It's a shame that his reputation became this grumpy, unapproachable man as from what I've read he was a genuinely nice person that cared about people. You can see that in the clip I posted above of him raising concerns about the conditions in Afghanistan at the moment.

• Upvote 1