Glasto politics: Non covid news

zahidf

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

1 month is better than 6 months or whatever it is now, isn't that the point? and as with many parts of the NHS, needs more staff...

there is a saying "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" or something like that...

So yes its better - but a month is still far to long to call it a solution in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Absolutely but I think the key will be in the detail. It may be a month for an an assessment rather than treatment, which is not the same thing.

I’m totally behind the message but I’m always a bit cynical about politicians claiming parity for mental health services, when there’s been chronic underinvestment for decades. 

yeah, there's no easy fix...all very complicated in many ways....is mental health deteriotating? or are we just more inclined to get help now?...probably both I guess...but something needs to be done...

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its awful - its even worse for young people...

Agreed, the wait times just exaggerates the issue at a younger age. Ideally we would treat straight away but we have to build up to that I suppose. 

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Some of the policies announced by Labour today for healthcare seem pretty decent. Whilst a months waiting time for mental health is still too long, it is infinitely better than the 6 month plus wait we experience now. 

Im still wondering where these 7500 staff will magically appear from.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Agreed, the wait times just exaggerates the issue at a younger age. Ideally we would treat straight away but we have to build up to that I suppose. 

the demand is massive...so they have to priotitise. I know from experience that if it's urgent they really are on it and are brilliant...but if physical health not immediately at risk then you just have to wait. Also...postcode lottery and all that...and I don't think Manchester is as bad as other places. It is lack of staff to meed demand, pure and simple.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

the demand is massive...so they have to priotitise. I know from experience that if it's urgent they really are on it and are brilliant...but if physical health not immediately at risk then you just have to wait. Also...postcode lottery and all that...and I don't think Manchester is as bad as other places. It is lack of staff to meed demand, pure and simple.

That’s fair and is probably partly the issue. For most (including mine) their mental health issues weren’t urgent so they were further down the queue but they were still important to the wait impacted the person. 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That’s fair and is probably partly the issue. For most (including mine) their mental health issues weren’t urgent so they were further down the queue but they were still important to the wait impacted the person. 

yeah, definitely...not downplaying what you or anyone is going through...just how they prioritise. A kid has anxiety or ocd, she waits...a kid has anorexia or is self harming, she's at the front of the queue.

Edited by steviewevie

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, definitely...not downplaying what you or anyone is going through...just how they prioritise. A kid has anxiety or ocd, she waits...a kid has anorexia or is self harming, she's at the front of the queue.

I didn’t take it as you downplaying my experience mate, it’s probably accurate what you suggest. Mental health treatment has been underfunded for years which does definitely need to change. 

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This might actually help Johnson with his backbench MPs, and maybe even with some of the public...

20220115_224358.jpg

I dunno, he seems pretty hated now. As hated as Corbyn was and generally those levels of dislike aren’t recovered from. 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I dunno, he seems pretty hated now. As hated as Corbyn was and generally those levels of dislike aren’t recovered from. 

Yeah true, but may give MPs another reason not to ditch him....

Also Starmer everywhere tonight calling for Johnson to go might be another reason for MPs to get behind Johnson...and Johnson staying put might be good for labour in long run (or might not).

Edited by steviewevie

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah true, but may give MPs another reason not to ditch him....

Also Starmer everywhere tonight calling for Johnson to go might be another reason for MPs to get behind Johnson...and Johnson staying put might be good for labour in long run (or might not).

Starmer hasn’t really got any choice now, after all the revelations he HAS to call for Johnson to resign. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Starmer hasn’t really got any choice now, after all the revelations he HAS to call for Johnson to resign. 

Yeah, definitely. Johnson is damaged goods, I reckon he'll go at some point soon but he might want to resign of his own accord, say he got Brexit done and covid done....but then again with Johnson who knows. Hopefully the damage this is all doing to the Tory party and govt lasts...

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I still think he should call a Vote of No Confidence. Tories won't vote for a general election so will have to back Boris. Longer he's in charge I think the worse the Tories will do in next election.

Tories stayed in power for a long by changing leader whenever they get unpopular. A VONC backs them into an awkward position. Back your leader or have an election