Jump to content

Glasto politics: Non covid news


zahidf
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

story is ongoing...best to let it play out...but labour aren't being silent about it.

Let it ride out so it's not at front and center of anyones minds before piping up?! What sort of tactic is that?

The leader of the opposition needs to be leading the charge ffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The stock response from the ministers doing the news circuit is as usual laughable...

"I didn't go"

"I won't be drawn on if I would of gone"

"there is an investigation"

Typical bollocks lol

Just waiting for

"Fuckers never invited me"

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Let it ride out so it's not at front and center of anyones minds before piping up?! What sort of tactic is that?

The leader of the opposition needs to be leading the charge ffs.

It's ongoing...they are being investigated by this Gray person, and then we'll see. Starmer can call for Johnson's resignation, but that will just more likely make tory MPs be more supportive of Johnson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I meant if Dowden is saying we could only meet one person outside for exercise whilst a party was going on or being organised then if he had any self respect he would go.

If I was in his shoes I'd be calling for Boris and all those at the party to resign. I'd be angry at them rather than disappointed in myself. I'm presuming he wasn't at the party as his name hasn't been listed, if he was, then he definitely should go.

If there was a hundred there, being realistic I can't see them all resigning, but hopefully this is the final straw that brings Boris down. It seems like there have been so many scandals now even the Tories can't be happy with him. And they are normally ruthless at getting rid of anyone that they perceive to be holding the party back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

“Leading” 🥴

I find it strange you are obsessed with attacking Starmer, who hasn't broke the law, when the Tories have repeatedly broken the rules they set. Furthermore they are corrupt, both syphoning off public money to there mates as well as taking cash/house decorating services.

How can you think Starmer is the bad guy and never have anything negative to say about Boris Johnson and the Tories? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

If I was in his shoes I'd be calling for Boris and all those at the party to resign. I'd be angry at them rather than disappointed in myself. I'm presuming he wasn't at the party as his name hasn't been listed, if he was, then he definitely should go.

If there was a hundred there, being realistic I can't see them all resigning, but hopefully this is the final straw that brings Boris down. It seems like there have been so many scandals now even the Tories can't be happy with him. And they are normally ruthless at getting rid of anyone that they perceive to be holding the party back.

No proper evidence yet, but by all accounts there were about 40 there, including Boris Johnson, and it was outside. It could be the final nail for Johnson, just have to see how plays out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I find it strange you are obsessed with attacking Starmer, who hasn't broke the law, when the Tories have repeatedly broken the rules they set. Furthermore they are corrupt, both syphoning off public money to there mates as well as taking cash/house decorating services.

How can you think Starmer is the bad guy and never have anything negative to say about Boris Johnson and the Tories? 

I don’t think he’s the bad guy.

I just don’t think he’s got the right tactics in how to use this to both his and the Labour party’s favour.

The public are quite rightly furious about this, it’s been widely reported on in the news and he’s literally sent a tweet.

We’ve had more meaningful actions from Ed Milliband than from Starmer.

If you’re the leader, you should lead from the front. The public need to believe in the leader as well as what the party stands for and Starmer isn’t quite cutting the mustard at the moment.

I can guarantee it’ll be the same dribble at PMQs tomorrow and we’ll all wish Rayner would be opposite the PM rather than Starmer himself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I don’t think he’s the bad guy.

I just don’t think he’s got the right tactics in how to use this to both his and the Labour party’s favour.

The public are quite rightly furious about this, it’s been widely reported on in the news and he’s literally sent a tweet.

We’ve had more meaningful actions from Ed Milliband than from Starmer.

If you’re the leader, you should lead from the front. The public need to believe in the leader as well as what the party stands for and Starmer isn’t quite cutting the mustard at the moment.

I can guarantee it’ll be the same dribble at PMQs tomorrow and we’ll all wish Rayner would be opposite the PM rather than Starmer himself.

I think Bojo does better against Rayner than Starmer...he loves the shouty stuff..can't stand the clever forensic stuff...especially when he's guilty as fuck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

If I was in his shoes I'd be calling for Boris and all those at the party to resign. I'd be angry at them rather than disappointed in myself. I'm presuming he wasn't at the party as his name hasn't been listed, if he was, then he definitely should go.

If there was a hundred there, being realistic I can't see them all resigning, but hopefully this is the final straw that brings Boris down. It seems like there have been so many scandals now even the Tories can't be happy with him. And they are normally ruthless at getting rid of anyone that they perceive to be holding the party back.

Well he would have to resign his ministerial position first, surely? Would be a bit weird to remain in the government and call for its leader to resign at the same time. Ministers resigning would send a really strong message but they are too much in it for themselves. Also I strongly suspect any senior members of government who weren't there know they have other transgressions that will easily be brought up against them so it's a dangerous move.

I wondered back in May 2020 why Boris defended Cummings so vigorously despite the damage it was doing to him. But this makes it seem a lot clearer- Cummings could easily have dropped this bombshell then if he wanted.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's ongoing...they are being investigated by this Gray person, and then we'll see. Starmer can call for Johnson's resignation, but that will just more likely make tory MPs be more supportive of Johnson.

This is really dry and  boring so apologise in advance but I was mistaken about the six month time bar for such offences.

It looks as though the original Coronavirus Act 2020 provisions were, and still are, subject to the six month time bar as summary offences, in line with all other summary offences.

Except one category:

It looks like the Statutory Instrument Health Regulations, under the Public Health (Control of Diseases) Act 1984 (which I was banging on about for ages when  people were hoping the CV Act would be lapsed) actually has a specific exemption from the Magistrates Court Act which normally governs all summary offences. So offences like these parties etc.  technically could be prosecuted which is something I was unaware of - happy to say I was mistaken.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/coronavirus-health-protection-coronavirus-restrictions-england-regulations-2020

Prosecutors are reminded that the issuing of criminal proceedings is likely to have been a matter of last resort.

Offences under the Coronavirus Regulations are not governed by the 6 month time limit (from the offence date) set out in section 127(1) of the Magistrates' Courts. The Regulations are made under the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984 and section 64A of this Act states that the time limit for proceedings is:

·         before the end of the period of 6 months beginning with the date on which evidence which the prosecutor thinks is sufficient to justify the proceedings comes to the prosecutor's knowledge; and

·         within 3 years of the date of the commission of the offence.

Since offences under the Coronavirus Regulations are usually charged by the police, in most cases the police officer will be “the prosecutor” for the purposes of this statutory time limit provision. It should be noted that:

·         Where an offence is charged 6 months or more after the date of the breach, the police officer who makes the charging decision should produce a certificate to state the date on which evidence which they think is sufficient to justify the proceedings came to their knowledge.

·         The relevant date will depend on the review process operated by the particular police force. For instance, in cases where a FPN is issued, the relevant date could be any of the following: the date of breach; the date when the FPN was issued; the date after the expiry of the 28 day period for payment of a FPN; or later, when an evidential review for charging purposes is completed.

However, the police policy that retrospective breaches won’t be looked at for a variety of reasons is obviously still in place (in my mind quite rightly). That was apparently based on the premise that enforcement of the regs was a last resort and simply designed to as a health control measure to help prevent the spread of covid. Retrospective breaches wouldn’t really help that at all as the risk has already passed. All of the current cases going through the courts for that period are apparently where an FPN was issued at the time of the offence or non payment of fines etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This blatant lying by Johnson is just typical of his attitude to being PM.  It’s very much the rest of you do what I say, not as I do.  He will find it hard this time to bluster, prevaricate and joke his way out of this, no matter how much Latin and ancient Greek shite he spouts.   The opposition will try and land a few blows on him but it will be his own party that he has to watch out for .  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...