news & politics:discussion

zahidf

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Meanwhile...

American democracy is in deep shit. The democrats are not taking seriously how close they came to outright ending democracy at the last election and are sitting on their hands and talking about unity .

The warning signs are there. January 6th isn’t going to be an isolated event. The amount of Americans believing the “big lie” is terrifying. 

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

American democracy is in deep shit. The democrats are not taking seriously how close they came to outright ending democracy at the last election and are sitting on their hands and talking about unity .

The warning signs are there. January 6th isn’t going to be an isolated event. The amount of Americans believing the “big lie” is terrifying. 

all great empires implode in the end.

Just now, JoeyT said:

I really do think Cons will see a big bounce back in polls if they avoid putting in restrictions again. It's becoming clear now this will be their main play moving forward. 

I think it will work. Plead ignorance over the next 6-8 weeks and then maybe another booster campaign for Easter and then we’re all in line for ‘Boris’s British Bonanza Summer’

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I really do think Cons will see a big bounce back in polls if they avoid putting in restrictions again. It's becoming clear now this will be their main play moving forward. 

Starmer never said anything about more restrictions, just supported plan B and said they would support any more if they were needed. But I'm sure Johnson will try and spin it like that the desperate twat.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer never said anything about more restrictions, just supported plan B and said they would support any more if they were needed. But I'm sure Johnson will try and spin it like that the desperate twat.

I don't think the majority of people will even realise that's the case though.

The only way Labour will avoid being overtaken in the polls again is if the current plan goes really tits up which is looking unlikely.

Anything other than that is a success for Johnson and the tories.

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The only way Labour will avoid being overtaken in the polls again is if the current plan goes really tits up which is looking unlikely.

At moment it doesn't look that great...but I'm sure Johnson will claim victory, and to be fair the booster campaign has been mostly successful and fortunately omicron is milder...but public services are looking like they're going to be pretty fucked this winter...

Starmer/Labour never called for more restrictions, they just supported the restrictions that were needed at the time. It’s telling that Johnson’s only tactic is to rely on the vaccination program, he has nothing else.

Johnson really struggles when he’s against a woman in the Commons.

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

or if they need hospital care inn the next few weeks or if they have vulnerable people they need to try and look after .... or if the cost of living crisis hits hard ... its not quite as simple as the one thing ... people have different priorities at the moment ... yeah some people will be jumping for joy they can go to the pub ... but as it happens we have restrictions on the quiet because of the huge numbers isolating 

Just now, steviewevie said:

At moment it doesn't look that great...but I'm sure Johnson will claim victory, and to be fair the booster campaign has been mostly successful and fortunately omicron is milder...but public services are looking like they're going to be pretty fucked this winter...

On that note (last post here as I know there is a covid thread elsewhere!), I was in a meeting earlier and someone in it said 2 interesting things regarding the NHS which I assume if it's happening there will possibly be happening elsewhere and soon across all public services:

- Her sister who is involved in some sort of planning role at a hospital in Bristol told her they have been asked to prepare for using asymptomatic staff as a contingency plan.

- The radiologist department have already been asked to attend work if asymptomatic having tested positive.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

On that note (last post here as I know there is a covid thread elsewhere!), I was in a meeting earlier and someone in it said 2 interesting things regarding the NHS which I assume if it's happening there will possibly be happening elsewhere and soon across all public services:

- Her sister who is involved in some sort of planning role at a hospital in Bristol told her they have been asked to prepare for using asymptomatic staff as a contingency plan.

- The radiologist department have already been asked to attend work if asymptomatic having tested positive.

I'm sure vulnerable hospital patients will be overjoyed.

The cost of living crises will indeed cause further pain on people, we’ll see if the lack of any new restrictions causes a rise in the polls or if Johnson is so tainted by all the scandals that people are fed up of him.

Covid hasn’t exactly been handled very well over the past few weeks, hospitals are at breaking points under this government’s watch, no one else’s. 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The cost of living crises will indeed cause further pain on people, we’ll see if the lack of any new restrictions causes a rise in the polls or if Johnson is so tainted by all the scandals that people are fed up of him.

The gas price cap gets reset on April 1. It is predicted that this will mean a 50% rise in prices for most consumers. It's hard to see that not being a huge problem for the govt when it occurs, though so far no word on any mitigation.