news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Tonight’s new year tv in Scotland has been taken over by the snp so I will be hunkered down illicitly watching Jools.  Meanwhile here is Fuhrer Sturgeons tv listings 

2A572C11-7FF5-4FBC-8DE2-C22CD5279626.thumb.jpeg.1a9369cc4a800ae5ecd57f7f32a23861.jpeg

prefer to watch that than some of the shite on offer...can we get that in Engerland?

Edited by steviewevie

On 12/29/2021 at 4:05 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Sturgeon, our supreme leader, has just spent over an hour telling us nothing has changed and avoiding giving a straight answer to every single question she was asked. Kim Jong Un could learn a lot from her. 

I hope in my lifetime Scotland comes together and there is a mass awakening which purges the SNP. Unlikely though.

So..2022...predictions....

1. Bojo still PM by this time next year?

2. If #1=no...Truss or Sunak or someothernutter?

2. Macron to win? (and if not how far to the right will new president be?)

3. Republicans to win both houses in US kicking off the end of the world?

4. Queen is dead?

5. Starmer to unite labour around his vision for building back britain better back building?

6. United Ireland?

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

And of course the final word of 2021 goes to Baz Fish.

Anyway, happy new year. Next few weeks could be rough if you work or need treatment in a hospital, but fuck'em. 

if you work anywhere tbh and fit into a vulnerable category .... the vaccines are good but hey I still dont fancy seeing people ill or being ill myself  ... I hope people meanwhile dont get shitty when appointments get cancelled , phone calls go unanswed or people dont get served in supermarkets with empty shelves or home deliverys dont arrive whilst people are isolating because the drivers arent available   ... already seeing this in my store as we cant get people to cover the absence and we have low case rates by comparison . Boris herd immunity policy ... will see if it works ... in a week or 2 or just causes another mutation that requires another booster . happy New year Stevie 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:04 PM, steviewevie said:

Moving on to current politics...sort of (actually historic bad politics) check out this petition. Can't believe...well can believe..that it's got over 100k signatures in 12 hours. Tony Blair the war criminal getting the highest civic honour possible....

I've signed it.  

https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-minister-tony-blair-to-have-his-knight-companion-of-the-most-noble-order-of-the-garter-rescinded?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_31890838_en-GB%3A6&recruiter=238202266&recruited_by_id=61663d90-ba83-11e4-860d-6549c3352738&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=a415ed8847474cbdbd9f2a8ebbf0662e

Edited by Pinrut

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Give there isn't a single European country not facing the same issue with many taking more restrictive measures - its the concept there was much of a choice to be had other all of this which is the weak point in your thinking.

Give the focus on vaccines I think calling it a herd immunity policy also isn't fair.

herd immunity can be achieved using both vaccines and infection, can't it? That's what they're trying to do...getting enough immunity in the population that covid no longer causes health care services to be overwhelmed...and we're probably on our way to achieving that with boosters..but could be a rough few weeks.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

herd immunity can be achieved using both vaccines and infection, can't it? That's what they're trying to do...getting enough immunity in the population that covid no longer causes health care services to be overwhelmed...and we're probably on our way to achieving that with boosters..but could be a rough few weeks.

nail .... head .... slowing the wave might have been advantageous around things not collapsing around us .... but hey its too late now ..... hope people dont die as a consequence of a stretched nhs . 

but back to politics ... yeah im signing the Blair petition .... I mean its just amazing he gets rewarded .....

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

We are definitely past the point of no return now but it seems that the government took a gamble with Omicron  and it looks like one that isn’t going well. Contingency plans are being drawn up as too many healthcare workers are off and services can’t be met.

There are also very strange priorities given to what people can and can’t do at the moment but that’s a different matter. 

47 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Again... look at other countries who went further than us and faired no better.  This new variant is much more like flu (spreads well and isn't as deadly)  and is spreading as such.  Just the usual government battering rhetoric 

so far all covid variants have been more infectious than flu, omicron is a hell of a lot more infectious.

Anyway, this is non covid thread so bog off.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

wonder how many times this politics for all has been used as an apparently legit source on these boards 

It got used too often as a legit source of news when it was mainly click bait. I wonder why it’s stopped. 

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

but back to politics ... yeah im signing the Blair petition .... I mean its just amazing he gets rewarded .....

It’s the timing of it that intrigues me. It’s an award you have to be nominated for. Why suddenly has someone decided he needs to be given a new honour right at this particular moment in time. It’s been years since he was PM. He hasn’t really done that much recently apart from add the odd controversial opinion. 

It’s almost as if the people in charge want the news cycle directed somewhere else 🤔

21 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s the timing of it that intrigues me. It’s an award you have to be nominated for. Why suddenly has someone decided he needs to be given a new honour right at this particular moment in time. It’s been years since he was PM. He hasn’t really done that much recently apart from add the odd controversial opinion. 

It’s almost as if the people in charge want the news cycle directed somewhere else 🤔

Mu understanding is that the honour was awarded by the Queen and not by the Government.
Have signed the petition.