news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, same with my dad. The theory is it was just poorer, northern working classes voting for brexit isn't true...a lot of support for brexit was home counties middle class.

Very much so. That's the Tories' traditional base as well.

So did Truss campaign for Remain? Surely that will hurt her? Or is just ancient history?

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Very much so. That's the Tories' traditional base as well.

So did Truss campaign for Remain? Surely that will hurt her? Or is just ancient history?

She did campaign and said she didn’t want her daughter to have less rights. That’s forgotten though because she has pencilled these supposedly great trade deals that are exactly the same as we previously had.  

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

If I went in with that attitude no one would want to talk to me. People really don’t like thinking they’ve been hoodwinked.

I sometimes wonder if the general public was a bit more aware of the truth they might start challenging who is in power. My grandad who has only ever voted Tory his entire life is completely sick of Johnson. He said to me yesterday that people need to use their vote wisely (which is surprising coming from him).

However, I’m not naive to recognise that if Boris is swapped out with someone mildly less offensive to him, he will probably continue to vote Tory.

somewhere there's an alternative world were Corbyn became PM that's Piers Corbyn.

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It does seem to be these kind of people that do well these days. Changeable principles and a distinct lack of personal ideology.

they probably need to play the right wing card to win the leadership...then shift to centre a bit to win a GE. I guess this is kind of what Starmer did but opposite.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

they probably need to play the right wing card to win the leadership...then shift to centre a bit to win a GE. I guess this is kind of what Starmer did but opposite.

Yeah makes sense. Realistically, when do people see the leadership election happening? Few months time? Get the next few months of Covid shit out of the way with? Sure no one is keen to take that on.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah makes sense. Realistically, when do people see the leadership election happening? Few months time? Get the next few months of Covid shit out of the way with? Sure no one is keen to take that on.

There's local elections in spring, if tories do badly then maybe there will be a challenge then.

Local elections could be quite interesting. 

you will have the NI increase just kicking in, next year’s council tax will be going out with an increase for social care. 

also the energy price cap would have changed putting bills up, along with general inflation it’s going to make people fee a lot poorer. 

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Local elections could be quite interesting. 

you will have the NI increase just kicking in, next year’s council tax will be going out with an increase for social care. 

also the energy price cap would have changed putting bills up, along with general inflation it’s going to make people fee a lot poorer. 

Yeah, could screw up any chance sunak has of becoming next leader too