news & politics:discussion

zahidf

31 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I keep wondering why Truss is so liked amongst Tories. Just don't get it. 

Then you see a list like that. 

Actively, I still don't get it

Because she’s weatherspoons ready and that’s all the current vote leave government care about at the moment

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Because she’s weatherspoons ready and that’s all the current vote leave government care about at the moment

I think she was seen to have done a good job negotiating post brexit deals...

I have no idea if she'd be any good as PM .in terms of actually being a serious politician she can't be any worse than the current clown we have in charge...but she could pivot policy to the right, which could be important with the amount of public spending promised on health, social care, and in the long term net zero. She actually has a kind of interesting back ground...lefty parents, young lib dem republican...and then started on the path to the right at Oxford Uni.

I actually think tories might be running out of road, future not looking too great, brexit bollocks etc...just need opposition to some how work out some sort of coalition...and hope labour can start clawing back seats in Scotland and red wall.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

what is weatherspoons ready?

Easy answers to complex problems. Little England rhetoric. it’s best Explained in anecdotes. Daily Mail headline fodder. Britain would be better if it wasn’t for all them foreigners ruining everything.

Brexit? Don't worry about that we got that done

Don’t look under the bonnet 

“We import nine-tenths of all of our pears.”

"We import two-thirds of our cheese… I think that’s a disgrace”.

Easy hooks for little England that get her on her side. Rule Britannia. Britannia rules the waves. Britannia doesn’t need to import anything else from the rest of the world we are fine as we are… we need to focus more on looking after our own.

It’s like a jukebox of hooks which help brexiteers sleep at night. Perfect weatherspoons ready PM.

British jingoism will solve all issues and all it takes is some ruddy good British spirit to become world emperors again.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

there was a story on the guardian the other day that said 62% of leave voters thought the brexit deal was shit, which raises the qu7estion, how did the other 48% think it wasn't shit?

Edited by Neil

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

there was a story on the guardian the other day that said 62% of leave voters thought the brexit deal was shit, which raises the qu7estion, how did the other 48% think it wasn't shit?

The same people that could never give a reason over than ‘sovereignty’ as to why they wanted in the first place probably?

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

Has it been noticably shit? I mean, everything is shit because of covid which probably masks brexit shitness to some degree. I think the shitness of brexit will be realised more when covid issues are not the main problem anymore...and even then it might not be noticebly shit for many people...but definitely won't be the sunlit uplands as promised.

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

Probably didn’t read up about it or were just apathetic to the situation. 

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

were probably too drunk while reading about spitfires.

A lot of people sadly lead pretty shit lives as it is. Unstable job, they struggle to make ends meet, and they lack the skills to bring themselves out of their situation. If someone votes Brexit who is already in hard times (and times remain hard) they won’t really notice anything. 

A lot of people voted for Brexit to make things harder for foreigners in Britain, and it has, so to them Brexit is a success. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

A lot of people sadly lead pretty shit lives as it is. Unstable job, they struggle to make ends meet, and they lack the skills to bring themselves out of their situation. If someone votes Brexit who is already in hard times (and times remain hard) they won’t really notice anything. 

A lot of people voted for Brexit to make things harder for foreigners in Britain, and it has, so to them Brexit is a success. 

The reverse is also true when it comes to Brexit. People like my dad and my partner's dad who voted for it have very comfortable lives - retired, own their own house - and are likely cushioned from a lot of fallout.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

One thing I always notice when I come home and visit family at Christmas is how little some people read the news or have a general awareness of what’s going on. Public apathy is how the Tories get away with everything.

find something you know they wont like to bang on at them with, how about all of the ways the tories have re-opened the door to immigrants?

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

find something you know they wont like to bang on at them with, how about all of the ways the tories have re-opened the door to immigrants?

If I went in with that attitude no one would want to talk to me. People really don’t like thinking they’ve been hoodwinked.

I sometimes wonder if the general public was a bit more aware of the truth they might start challenging who is in power. My grandad who has only ever voted Tory his entire life is completely sick of Johnson. He said to me yesterday that people need to use their vote wisely (which is surprising coming from him).

However, I’m not naive to recognise that if Boris is swapped out with someone mildly less offensive to him, he will probably continue to vote Tory.

Edited by Matt42

51 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The reverse is also true when it comes to Brexit. People like my dad and my partner's dad who voted for it have very comfortable lives - retired, own their own house - and are likely cushioned from a lot of fallout.

yeah, same with my dad. The theory is it was just poorer, northern working classes voting for brexit isn't true...a lot of support for brexit was home counties middle class.