news & politics:discussion

zahidf

42 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Me too, I'm opposed to a monarchy politically, but also on a personal level- the whole things creepy, it turns the public into these weird stalkers, where they pretend someone else's baby (who they have absolutely no relationship to) is somehow also theirs and that following this child as they grow up in fancy captivity, taking joy or fury at their restricted life choices, expecting to see their wedding and fawning or demonising them is somehow perfectly fine behaviour. Plus all that curtseying or bowing to other people and calling them 'maa' m' or whatever and all that, it's embarrassing. 

Yep everything about it sets me on edge. I also think having a real hierarchy in a family absolutely guarantees dysfunction. Growing up knowing you are absolutely not as important as your sibling is just fucked up. 

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Agreed, but think that will all change when the Queen passes away and it’s handed over to Charles.
I think the reason why the royals are held in such high regard by so many is purely driven by the Queen being such a likeable personality - she’s like a great grandma for the whole country. 

what the queen does very well is have zero personality.

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

It's taken a mixed race person to show my basic problem with the whole concept of a monarchical system. The Royal Family are basically slaves, incredibly privileged slaves no doubt but if you have a child you can tell them they can do or be anything but they can't they are trapped in that family. We pay for them we feel we own them. That has no place in today's society. They are people in handcuffs and the fact that those handcuffs are gold and diamond encrusted doesn't help them any. It's an institution that needs to be removed completely. 

No not slaves, more like actors or performers, they have to do a few "gigs" every year and it's a job they're born into but they do have the choice as we've just seen, they can walk away. The bit of "public duty" they do is more than well rewarded.

"It's an institution that needs to be removed completely." we all seem to agree on that!

7 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

No not slaves, more like actors or performers, they have to do a few "gigs" every year and it's a job they're born into but they do have the choice as we've just seen, they can walk away. The bit of "public duty" they do is more than well rewarded.

"It's an institution that needs to be removed completely." we all seem to agree on that!

Meghan was an actor and didn't have the same issues at all. Maybe slavery is a step too far but it is a prison sentence. A gilded cage is still a cage. They aren't allowed to vote, talk about politics, the women are basically clothes horses. 

32 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Meghan was an actor and didn't have the same issues at all. Maybe slavery is a step too far but it is a prison sentence. A gilded cage is still a cage. They aren't allowed to vote, talk about politics, the women are basically clothes horses. 

"They aren't allowed to vote, talk about politics" Ha! you do know it's "Her Majesty's Government"? The illusion that the government is in the service of the people is the biggest con going. Do you think the royal family care who is in power? It makes zero difference to them, politicians and Prime Ministers come and go, nothing changes for the royals. Here's what Jimmy Saville (you remember, friend of Charles) said about politics,

“Politics is, with due respect, a bit of a non-event for me,”  “People who are affected by politics fly at 747 level; I fly at Concorde level. Even when I was skint I flew at Concorde level, so what happens down here don't mean shit to me." (Saville was a high level freemason, hobnobbed with Thatcher, royalty, the Pope).

Politics are for the small people, those with the real power aren't affected by anything the politicians do.

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

"They aren't allowed to vote, talk about politics" Ha! you do know it's "Her Majesty's Government"? The illusion that the government is in the service of the people is the biggest con going. Do you think the royal family care who is in power? It makes zero difference to them, politicians and Prime Ministers come and go, nothing changes for the royals. Here's what Jimmy Saville (you remember, friend of Charles) said about politics,

“Politics is, with due respect, a bit of a non-event for me,”  “People who are affected by politics fly at 747 level; I fly at Concorde level. Even when I was skint I flew at Concorde level, so what happens down here don't mean shit to me." (Saville was a high level freemason, hobnobbed with Thatcher, royalty, the Pope).

Politics are for the small people, those with the real power aren't affected by anything the politicians do.

For someone like Meghan Markle politics is important being able to talk about the inequalities of race and gender. Being able to have a fully formed opinion and voice it. I accept there are millions of people who'd happily take the cash and there are people who don't care about these things no matter how much money they have but Meghan is someone who wrote to CEO's at the age of 12 because she didn't like laundry and washing up adverts being referred to as the job of women. 

If I look at my sister in law and myself, my  sister in law would have an I'm alright Jack attitude and if she could have the money etc she wouldn't care less about anyone else but I couldn't I speak up about inequality even if it doesn't affect me. Being silenced would be hell to me. 

• Upvote 1