Glasto politics: Non covid news

zahidf

22 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Here you go 

Wow - if I was her - I would be hiding under a rock right now....  You escalate our politics to the level of calling people scum and this is where it leads.

Not saying there is a direct connection but that level of hatred in democracy is no good.

Edited by Barry Fish
  • Downvote 2

Lots of blind eyed red flag waving supporters pointing out that Rayners words probably didn't directly result in this (probably true).

We can't ignore though we have a deeply divided political system where a wannabe future PM of the country openly calls the sitting one Scum - plus add into the mix the toxic mess of Brexit / Independence and then Covid and all the divisions that has brought.

The idea that atmosphere plays no part in what happened today will be shocking if not true.

Obviously horrible news.

But I think pointing the finger at Rayner is not only unfair to her, but also serves to help silence critics of the Tories. Don't forget that over the years, BJ's words have been far worse in terms of racism, homophobia etc. and have certainly been as divisive as anything any other politician is responsible for.

If an atmosphere of division contributed to this horrible event (and we don't know that it did) then a great number of people, politicians and otherwise, left-and right-leaning, have helped us get there. I think singling out any individual for that is disingenuous.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Apparently investigation being led by counter terrorism, and bloke arrested was from abroad...so maybe nothing to do with left/right/centrist...

They did the same with the guy that killed Cox didn't they ?

Shouted "Britain First" and then said it had nothing to do with Brexit etc...

He was a British National apparently but from Somalia

Edited by Barry Fish

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I am very curious to find out which human rights he would like to overhaul and why.

Using 'Strasbourg' as a reference to the ECHR is the same kind of xenophobia that equates 'Brussels' with the EU parliament and spreads the misapprehension that we are being governed by foreigners. It's a cheap, dishonest move. And it will likely work.