news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Dirty bastards.

Without knowing much about it, where was the sewage going previously? I mean if it's "ours" and previously it was going elsewhere to be pumped in to someone elses water I'd feel pretty morally conflicted as to where indeed it should be going.

If that makes any sense at all?

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Dirty bastards.

Without knowing much about it, where was the sewage going previously? I mean if it's "ours" and previously it was going elsewhere to be pumped in to someone elses water I'd feel pretty morally conflicted as to where indeed it should be going.

If that makes any sense at all?

It was being treated by chemicals we could get from the eu … which now we can’t … although if I remember rightly these companies were always allowed legal discharges at certain times 

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It was being treated by chemicals we could get from the eu … which now we can’t … although if I remember rightly these companies were always allowed legal discharges at certain times 

Yes that’s right, we can’t get the chemicals to treat it so untreated water is being pumped into the rivers and seas. The water companies claim they need more funding to improve the pipes etc yet they still paid their bosses millions in bonuses. 

Edit - a proposal from the Lords to place legal duties on water companies to reduce discharges was voted down by the Tories. 

Edited by Ozanne

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Age of optimism apparently.

Is that Sunak's speech? Sounds like he's going to play a blinder today - promise loads of stuff that will be impossible to pay for because he'll be paying for the winter restrictions, but at least it'll make him look like he was willing to do them 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

Is that Sunak's speech? Sounds like he's going to play a blinder today - promise loads of stuff that will be impossible to pay for because he'll be paying for the winter restrictions, but at least it'll make him look like he was willing to do them 

What restrictions? No need for them and they’re not happening 

26 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Everything is awesome. Economy recovering well meaning dishi rishi doesn't have to be nasty austerity man and can splash the cash.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Everything is awesome. Economy recovering well meaning dishi rishi doesn't have to be nasty austerity man and can splash the cash.

This will all be after Lindsay Hoyle rips the PM and Sunak a new one for leaking effectively the entire budget in the press before today.

I'm actually tempted to hit the treadmill at the gym rather than what I'd originally planned to see it all unfold.

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Except for the excrement in our water, supply chain issues, rising taxes, hundreds dying from Covid every week etc. It’s all spin and lip service from a party that won’t deliver half of what they promise and won’t make the decisions that will help (such as taxing the rich and big corps).

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Except for the excrement in our water, supply chain issues, rising taxes, hundreds dying from Covid every week etc. It’s all spin and lip service from a party that won’t deliver half of what they promise and won’t make the decisions that will help (such as taxing the rich and big corps).

there's bound to be some cash for clean rivers in budget today.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

.. and who will still sadly win the next General Election as Labour has little to offer.

7 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

.. and who will still sadly win the next General Election as Labour has little to offer.

We’ve been through this before, Labour has offered plenty of policy proposals and a vision for the country. You might not like it but they have set out an offer. Good try to bring it back round to bashing Labour though.

Anyway Keir Starmer has tested positive for COVID, so Ed Miliband will take PMQs.