news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

When should the PM go on holiday? Boris or otherwise?

There's always issues to be sorted, the country doesn't grind to a halt & problems cease to exist in order for whomever it is to go on hols.

yeah, I may be coming across as a bit of a boris fan these days, but everyone deserves a holiday, especially when working in a high stress environment. Still, not a good look, but that's politics and the media for you. At the same time, didn't he have a holiday in August too?

Bojo and his mate Frosty want to rip up that excellent oven ready deal that they used to win an election and persuade MPs to vote through...because they didn't read the small print or something. Still, looks like EU about to make some concessions and maybe they'll be able to spin it as a great victory of our tough negotiating skills in the sausage wars, or maybe UK gov actually want this to keep rolling on as it favours them in pollings, forever brexit. Even if troubles return to NI they can spin it as the EUs fault.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, I may be coming across as a bit of a boris fan these days, but everyone deserves a holiday, especially when working in a high stress environment. Still, not a good look, but that's politics and the media for you. At the same time, didn't he have a holiday in August too?

This is the issue for me and why the 'everyone deserves a holiday' defence just doesn't wash. It was only a few months ago that there were questions of who paid for his last holiday. Never mind the generous Parliament breaks MPs are given and the fact he has taxpayer-funded lavish retreats he can retire to. It is not the same. 

19 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Thought this would pop up here. 

Just proves that people who aren’t qualified to drive a HGV shouldn’t be anywhere near a HGV. It doesn’t matter how good you are at driving a car, trying to get to grips with a HGV is completely different. 

This is actually a win for Starmer. He’s a competent man and not reckless, if he struggled to drive this vehicle then the Tory plan of getting anyone desperate for a job behind the wheel is going to end up in disaster.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s an increase in road deaths due to inexperienced HGV drivers. 

The Tories won’t care. They’ve stopped looking at the body count caused by their ineptitude. 

A few years ago I tried learning to drive a bus. It's really hard. They're fucking massive. HGV even more so

18 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

This is the issue for me and why the 'everyone deserves a holiday' defence just doesn't wash. It was only a few months ago that there were questions of who paid for his last holiday. Never mind the generous Parliament breaks MPs are given and the fact he has taxpayer-funded lavish retreats he can retire to. It is not the same. 

22 hours ago, steviewevie said:

22 hours ago, JoeyT said:

When should the PM go on holiday? Boris or otherwise?

There's always issues to be sorted, the country doesn't grind to a halt & problems cease to exist in order for whomever it is to go on hols.

35 days between his last holiday and this one. The last one was while the withdrawal from Kabul took place. Also been on several other holidays this year. 

Everyone deserves a holiday but he has a track record of being on holiday at the worst possible times - not a coincidence I'd suggest. Combine that with his reputation for doing bugger all work (not turning up to 5 COBRA meetings at the start of the pandemic, not knowing he has responsibility for pretty much everything as PM, etc).

Plus, he should be able to read the fucking room - we can't get fuel, price of food has shot up, energy crisis, supply crisis - and he's on an all expenses paid jolly. 

c**t. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I reckon the only opposition to Bojo and his govt are the tory party themselves. As with Thatcher and Blair, Johnson is hated by many in the country, but still loved, or at least accepted, by the majority, and also like Thatcher and Blair I expect he will either be kicked out by his own party or forced to resign, rather than be voted out at a general election.

*Person moans Labour provide no opposition.*

Labour provide opposition to highlight difficulties potentially being faced this winter.

*Person still moans at Labour for doing what they asked for*

All while being ok with the PM taking a holiday through several different crises. Double standards. 

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour provide opposition to highlight difficulties potentially being faced this winter.

All while being ok with the PM taking a holiday through several different crises. Double standards. 

😂😂😂😂😂

can’t help noticing you didn’t post in the latest poll out earlier btw 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

1. Me posting showing that Starmer was wrong previously is different to moaning they provide no opposition. It's literally saying Starmer was wrong previously.

2. I didn't say I was okay with the PM taking a holiday at this particular time. I passed no opinion on that. I asked when is a good time for a PM to go on holiday because there are always issues to be sorted?

I admire your commitment to supporting Labour, I really do.

It is 100% affecting your judgement in regards to replying to every post though.

30 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I mean that is kind of a shit argument made by that Ryan twitter tit. Arguing that Johnson was being reckless by allowing all restrictions to be eased when cases were still rising is very different to saying we are facing a difficult winter because of other govt actions. Just because Starmer who was listening to scientific advise may have called it wrong this summer does not mean he shouldn't call out other risks going forward.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, blutarsky said:

35 days between his last holiday and this one. The last one was while the withdrawal from Kabul took place. Also been on several other holidays this year. 

Everyone deserves a holiday but he has a track record of being on holiday at the worst possible times - not a coincidence I'd suggest. Combine that with his reputation for doing bugger all work (not turning up to 5 COBRA meetings at the start of the pandemic, not knowing he has responsibility for pretty much everything as PM, etc).

Plus, he should be able to read the fucking room - we can't get fuel, price of food has shot up, energy crisis, supply crisis - and he's on an all expenses paid jolly. 

c**t. 

Spot on. Some people will find any reason the try to defend Johnson even know the face of overwhelming evidence of his ineptitude. If this was Corbyn in charge doing this there would be uproar or any Labour leader to be fair.

As has been shown this week in the report he has presided over the worst public health response in UK history and he’s going off on a 2nd holiday in 3 months whilst other serious crises mount. He literally doesn’t give a shit about the country, is out for himself and is the worst PM we’ve ever had. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean that is kind of a shit argument made by that Ryan twitter tit. Arguing that Johnson was being reckless by allowing all restrictions to be eased when cases were still rising is very different to saying we are facing a difficult winter because of other govt actions. Just because Starmer who was listening to scientific advise may have called it wrong this summer does not mean he shouldn't call out other risks going forward.

This time last year Starmer was correct about rising cases but Ryan doesn’t seem to want to remember that. He’s been a resolute government defender though throughout. 

I mean, there is always fair amount of hope for the best/worst in politics, but especially at moment with this govt and they way Bojo operates. Maybe things might not be that bad this winter, but does feel like a perfect storm at moment...energy prices, hgv driver shortages, other worker shortages, rising inflation, tax rises, brexit disruption, covid+flu, cop26 commitments etc etc.

37 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Whilst 100,000 cases currently seems like a very extreme end of the numbers … we were at 42,000 daily cases yesterday… it’s not so much of a stretch to see those numbers rising to 70,000 plus … without getting into a covid discussion he might not be so far wrong as we are barely into autumn 🍂 so maybe one to watch … oh no he can’t be right now … testing is going to be charged now I think 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean, there is always fair amount of hope for the best/worst in politics, but especially at moment with this govt and they way Bojo operates. Maybe things might not be that bad this winter, but does feel like a perfect storm at moment...energy prices, hgv driver shortages, other worker shortages, rising inflation, tax rises, brexit disruption, covid+flu, cop26 commitments etc etc.

and starmer would never admit it but he'll be hoping for the worst!

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Whilst 100,000 cases currently seems like a very extreme end of the numbers … we were at 42,000 daily cases yesterday… it’s not so much of a stretch to see those numbers rising to 70,000 plus … without getting into a covid discussion he might not be so far wrong as we are barely into autumn 🍂 so maybe one to watch … oh no he can’t be right now … testing is going to be charged now I think 

MUST NOT DISCUSS COVID

(aren't cases much higher here then other parts of europe?)

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Spot on. Some people will find any reason the try to defend Johnson even know the face of overwhelming evidence of his ineptitude. If this was Corbyn in charge doing this there would be uproar or any Labour leader to be fair.

As has been shown this week in the report he has presided over the worst public health response in UK history and he’s going off on a 2nd holiday in 3 months whilst other serious crises mount. He literally doesn’t give a shit about the country, is out for himself and is the worst PM we’ve ever had. 

Not just Labour leaders. I imagine May would have been criticised a bit more.