news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Very strong, impressive speech from Starmer. Some off the cuff quips dealing with the hecklers (which in a way emphasised his point win Party change), some added humour in there which will address some of the 'dull' comments and most importantly plenty of policies outlining what Labour under his leadership would do in government.

2 minutes ago, Haan said:

I liked that he has pledged the Green New Deal, but I wonder if he actually will be endorsing or putting forward the one that Labour for a Green New Deal have (which includes nationalisation and repealing trade union act)

Rachel Reeves unveiled their Green New Deal the other day, so it'll be that one.

I think he showed plenty of passion in that speech, we certainly know more about what makes him tick and inspires.

27 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Rachel Reeves unveiled their Green New Deal the other day, so it'll be that one.

I think he showed plenty of passion in that speech, we certainly know more about what makes him tick and inspires.

I think Starmer's team will be pleased how it went, and Starmer's enemies will hate him even more.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

In the end, labour will still look much more divided than the tories next week, so job done I guess.

Not really, if anything the heckling played into Starmer hands as he tried to position the party as separate from the Corbyn years. He took on the hecklers and didn't come off worse.

What about the policy though? That was the main thing.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Not really, if anything the heckling played into Starmer hands as he tried to position the party as separate from the Corbyn years. He took on the hecklers and didn't come off worse.

What about the policy though? That was the main thing.

There wasn't much policy was there? it was all about him, his upbringing, his family, his experience as a lawyer etc. I mean, I think it was a good speech (bit long) and it will get a few good clips on the news, especially the way he actually dealt with the hecklers. But, I don't expect there will anyone heckling Bojo during his speech, or any alternative tory party events in circus tents. It is in Manchester though, so there may be some protests nearby...but that won't do them much harm electorally, might even favour them with all the culture war stuff that the tories use so effectively now.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

There wasn't much policy was there? it was all about him, his upbringing, his family, his experience as a lawyer etc. I mean, I think it was a good speech (bit long) and it will get a few good clips on the news, especially the way he actually dealt with the hecklers. But, I don't expect there will anyone heckling Bojo during his speech, or any alternative tory party events in circus tents. It is in Manchester though, so there may be some protests nearby...but that won't do them much harm electorally, might even favour them with all the culture war stuff that the tories use so effectively now.

There w2as plenty of policy in there, a whole load on Education inc mental health support in schools, health and mental health again, we had previously been given Labours policy on the Green New Deal, some comments on taxation and a strong focus on crime/law & order.

People have been complaining for months now that Labour had no policies, that has been firmly put to bed. We also know more about Starmer himself which people wanted.

Focus on the positives.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

There w2as plenty of policy in there, a whole load on Education inc mental health support in schools, health and mental health again, we had previously been given Labours policy on the Green New Deal, some comments on taxation and a strong focus on crime/law & order.

People have been complaining for months now that Labour had no policies, that has been firmly put to bed. We also know more about Starmer himself which people wanted.

Focus on the positives.

🙂

Yeah, ok. I only watched first half. Yes, there has been some good stuff this week, a lot of was kind of new labour which isn't surprising...and more policies will come. But, I know many on left will be fucked off with nationalisation commitments seemingly gone, I'm disappointed with that too,  but I guess that is direction starmer is taking labour.

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Keith's big day today. Some will be hoping it's a great success, and others will be hoping it's a todal disaster. Whatever he says both sides will think they've been proved right.

Called it. I found it very dull. I put it on 1.5x speed and still ended up turning it off halfway through. Not even meaning I didn’t like what he was saying, I was just barely listening. On the other hand it sounds like @Ozannehad to stick on a clean pair of briefs.

So yeah as you said, horses for courses in the end, and the world keeps turning. Only time will tell if he has the beans to win a GE. Its becoming thoroughly boring to talk about whether he does or not. Maybe in the end, left wing folk getting so bored of him that they tire of hating him will work in his favour.

Edited by mattiloy

27 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Called it. I found it very dull. I put it on 1.5x speed and still ended up turning it off halfway through. Not even meaning I didn’t like what he was saying, I was just barely listening. On the other hand it sounds like @Ozannehad to stick on a clean pair of briefs.

So yeah as you said, horses for courses in the end, and the world keeps turning. Only time will tell if he has the beans to win a GE. Its becoming thoroughly boring to talk about whether he does or not. Maybe in the end, left wing folk getting so bored of him that they tire of hating him will work in his favour.

I mean we don't know when next GE will be, could be next year, could be 2024...and we're living in kind of turbulent times which could play a big factor. Actually a big decision from Johnson when he calls an election, probably won't be till 2nd half of 2023 at the earliest, but who knows. Labour have a massive task even to reduce tory majority let alone getting a majority themselves...and really it's all about who replaces starmer when he inevitably loses...Reeves, Rayner, Nandy...or Streeting! 🙂 (or Burnham I guess).

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

@Ozanne I’m intrigued … do you think kier  Starmer has made mistakes ? Or has any faults …. No one is perfect I’m just wondering what you think he might improve on ? 

Everyone makes mistakes and has faults. However mistake-wise Starmer took his foot off the gas at the turn of 2021 with the pandemic, his stance on Brexit atm is a mistake as I feel he should be attacking it more and the performance in the elections in May wasn’t good enough either. As for faults he seems to be sometimes too slow to attack the government and he could show more passion at times but that’s just not his style. His leadership hasn’t been perfect but it’s been a very difficult time for opposition and hopefully the party will be able to push on from Conference now. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

To me it looks like Ozanne just wants labour to beat the tories more than anything and knows to do that need to get behind the leader...so muchos respectos to ozanne for that.

That’s exactly it, I was massively behind Corbyn back 2 years ago for that very reason.