Jump to content

Glasto politics: Non covid news


zahidf
 Share

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

In other news Bernie Sanders is going to talk at Momentum’s fringe festival ’the world transformed’ at labour conference. Good luck to the Labour right trying to get in the headlines with whatever feeble policies they come up with- talk about being upstaged.

is he very well known to most people in UK?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyway, I'm expecting conference season to be pretty depressing. Starmer will give an ok speech but it will all be overshadowed by usual scraps going on behind the scenes, whereas tory conference will be a celebration with Johnson getting a lot of love for his speech all about defeating the virus and how we're going to level up, fix the NHS and finally sort out social care, only worry for him will be if Patel/Truss/Sunak get even more love.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Winter is coming.

 

 

Laura, peddles the government spin, she should be hammering this home that we were promised cheaper utility bills not more expensive ones. The media should be taking the government to task about Brexit now but instead they get a free pas, still!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

 

Laura, peddles the government spin, she should be hammering this home that we were promised cheaper utility bills not more expensive ones. The media should be taking the government to task about Brexit now but instead they get a free pas, still!

This is a global problem though, right? But, brexit maybe leaves us a bit more exposed...

Edited by steviewevie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is a global problem though, right? But, brexit maybe leaves us a bit more exposed...


Nothing to do with Brexit. OPEC restricted supply a couple of years ago. Demand was suppressed during covid so supply stayed low. Now demand has increased and supply has not matched it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is a global problem though, right? But, brexit maybe leaves us a bit more exposed...

It is global but being part of the EU Internal Energy Market would've protected us from the highest prices. Leaving the Energy Market was a political choice and we gambled.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mattiloy said:


Nothing to do with Brexit. OPEC restricted supply a couple of years ago. Demand was suppressed during covid so supply stayed low. Now demand has increased and supply has not matched it.

would the EU not be a bit more willing to share if we were part of it ? or help protect some of the folding companies ? so we are heading back to a big 4 again .... that worries me in terms of pricing in the longer term .... are these energy caps going to get tweaked to allow big companies to survive ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And who knew that we get CO2 as a by product from the fertiliser industry and we need that CO2 to stun animals before slaughtering them. Set them free I reckon.

Actually...with all this, plus the other supply issues due to lack of HGV drivers or whatever, makes you realise how much you take for granted the whole supply chain thing that means we can buy whatever in supermarkets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This graph explains the differences in our prices of gas, and being part of the EU scheme would've meant some protection from that.

Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 19.15.27.png


No. This graph shows how dependent the UK is on gas and oil compared with the nations shown and therefore how much more exposed to oil price fluctuations wholesale electricity prices are. It has nothing to do with Brexit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

And who knew that we get CO2 as a by product from the fertiliser industry and we need that CO2 to stun animals before slaughtering them. Set them free I reckon.

Actually...with all this, plus the other supply issues due to lack of HGV drivers or whatever, makes you realise how much you take for granted the whole supply chain thing that means we can buy whatever in supermarkets.

We have never recovered from co2 issues for fizzy drinks .... although im not sure if this is because things are stuck at the ports or not ..... working in a supermarket picking customer orders is quite challenging at the moment and it seems like there is going to be quite a hit towards the end of the week ... hopefully it will only be short term .... Prays for wind .... and when I return from holiday the week after next things will be fine once more 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mattiloy said:


No. This graph shows how dependent the UK is on gas and oil compared with the nations shown and therefore how much more exposed to oil price fluctuations wholesale electricity prices are. It has nothing to do with Brexit.

Leaving the EU isn't responsible for the high gas prices but not being part of the EU has left us vulnerable to the full brunt of high prices. It was a political decision to take us out of the EU IEM and one that working people will be hit hardest by.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Leaving the EU isn't responsible for the high gas prices but not being part of the EU has left us vulnerable to the full brunt of high prices. It was a political decision to take us out of the EU IEM and one that working people will be hit hardest by.


You are incorrect. This is almost only the lack of diversification of the uk energy market and over exposure to gas/oil.

Should OPEC at the next meeting decide to increase supply significantly the UK might end up having the cheapest prices in europe, as it tends to when gas/oil prices are low - look ten years ago when gas prices were at a real long term low point

 

FBPE need to learn that falsely attributing everything bad to brexit is likely to convince brexiteers that its all ’project fear’ stuff. The dishonesty of remainers about the real virtues and real problems of EU membership will continue to be a major obstacle to any reconciliation and eventual rejoining.

Edited by mattiloy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mattiloy said:


You are incorrect. This is almost only the lack of diversification of the uk energy market and over exposure to gas/oil.

Should OPEC at the next meeting decide to increase supply significantly the UK might end up having the cheapest prices in europe, as it tends to when gas/oil prices are low - look ten years ago when gas prices were at a real long term low point

 

FBPE need to learn that falsely attributing everything bad to brexit is likely to convince brexiteers that its all ’project fear’ stuff. The dishonesty of remainers about the real virtues and real problems of EU membership will continue to be a major obstacle to any reconciliation and eventual rejoining.

yeah, so if energy is cheap then could be cheaper here than europe, but it isn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, mattiloy said:


You are incorrect. This is almost only the lack of diversification of the uk energy market and over exposure to gas/oil.

Should OPEC at the next meeting decide to increase supply significantly the UK might end up having the cheapest prices in europe, as it tends to when gas/oil prices are low - look ten years ago when gas prices were at a real long term low point.

That hasn't happened yet so can't be used as an example of Brexit working favourably. Countries in the EU’s internal energy market trade efficiently with each other using linked auctions that balance prices across the bloc, as we have left we aren't able to use so as such have seen our prices skyrocket by comparison.

Boris Johnson promised us that 'Fuel bill be lower for everyone' and at this current moment in time they aren't. There are a range of global factors at play but Brexit has accentuated the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That hasn't happened yet so can't be used as an example of Brexit working favourably. Countries in the EU’s internal energy market trade efficiently with each other using linked auctions that balance prices across the bloc, as we have left we aren't able to use so as such have seen our prices skyrocket by comparison.

Boris Johnson promised us that 'Fuel bill be lower for everyone' and at this current moment in time they aren't. There are a range of global factors at play but Brexit has accentuated the problem.

 

So how much of the difference in energy prices do you attribute to uk lecky companies not having access to what measures up to basically ebay for energy companies and instead having to get quotes directly from the energy sellers? I mean it sounds like a bit of work to be fair, but more than a few full time employees worth? Wouldn't have thought so. And how much to miscellaneous other 'global factors'?

But whatever, what should be a decent argument for divestment in fossil fuels becomes another tedious and pointless debate about brexit and nothing ever gets better in the united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...