Jump to content

Glasto politics: Non covid news


zahidf
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

When the average of all the polls (only thing really worth anything) shows the opposite. 

Does it show the opposite? It's further away than where opposition party should be at this point in parliamentary life cycle but general trend over the past few months has been gap closing again. I agree that individual polls are meaningless - not just because of MoE but sampling methodology and weighting varies greatly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2021 at 12:07 PM, steviewevie said:

 

Completely agree with this, and ofc I am for full legalisation too, but I saw these comments on reddit the other day which I had no idea about, interesting stuff:

image.thumb.png.a62dbf951869911034dc76019fff0733.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Does it show the opposite? It's further away than where opposition party should be at this point in parliamentary life cycle but general trend over the past few months has been gap closing again. I agree that individual polls are meaningless - not just because of MoE but sampling methodology and weighting varies greatly. 

To me they’re going from really bad for Labour to quite bad still so not much progress really but yeah I take your point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This is pretty interesting and shows a trend of the polls overall narrowing. 

yeah, a lot is dictated by events, and pretty much fuck all to do with anything labour does....and going forward will be more about normal politics, the economy (sunak vs johnson?), crime, immigration, usual shite, and maybe a bit of climate stuff although once the fires go out people will probably be less bothered.

I wonder when next election will be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, a lot is dictated by events, and pretty much fuck all to do with anything labour does....and going forward will be more about normal politics, the economy (sunak vs johnson?), crime, immigration, usual shite, and maybe a bit of climate stuff although once the fires go out people will probably be less bothered.

I wonder when next election will be?

At the moment the next election is May 2024. The bill to repeal The Fixed Term Parliaments Act has its next reading mid-September so with that repealed it’s rumoured to be May 2023. According to some Labour sources they’ve seen movement at local Conservative level which would indicate an Election could be sooner than 2023.

Autumn will be key with several key policy moments, Conference season and potential COVID issues; so if the polls narrow now then that just puts Labour in a better position. Starmer needs to have a good conference and deliver an exceptional speech. 
 

46 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

E8mVxMaUUAYZd1us.jpg

That’s the trend for sure (without your bit at the end). There definitely has been a slight narrowing of the polls as a whole but it’s only slight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Afghanistan is turning into Biden's first foreign policy disaster.

After 20 years and with over 2,400 US soldiers dead, a lot of people will be asking what is the point of it all. Some will see the withdrawal as a positive act of protecting US forces, others will see it as abandoning the Afghan government in their war against the Taliban.

I am surprised that Trump didn't do it already though. He clearly doesn't care about Afghanistan and the withdrawal would have appealed to his base. Although that base will be hyper critical of Biden for doing exactly the thing they would have praised trump for.

My own personal view is that I simply don't know enough about it to render a worthwhile opinion. I can see how these decisions play politically, but I just don't know if they're the right decisions that could lead to lasting stability in the region.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Afghanistan has always been known as the graveyard of empires. No external power has ever managed to control that region. 
 

The Persians, Greeks, Mongols, British, Indians, Soviets and now the Americans have all tried and failed. 
 

Maybe it’s time we left them alone and possibly they may stop rising up against their many oppressors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Afghanistan has always been known as the graveyard of empires. No external power has ever managed to control that region. 
 

The Persians, Greeks, Mongols, British, Indians, Soviets and now the Americans have all tried and failed. 
 

Maybe it’s time we left them alone and possibly they may stop rising up against their many oppressors. 

well, that seems to be the plan...problem is the taliban.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Egg://www.google.com/search?q=kenny+everett+round+them+up&oq=Kenny+Everett+ro&aqs=chrome.2.0i512j69i57j0i512l2.22081j0j8&client=tablet-android-huawei&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8Egg://www.google.com/search?q=kenny+everett+round+them+up&oq=Kenny+Everett+ro&aqs=chrome.2.0i512j69i57j0i512l2.22081j0j8&client=tablet-android-huawei&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Edited by guypjfreak
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...