news & politics:discussion

zahidf

I mean...Starmer has been a bit meh recently, there's no doubt about it....but also these polls are mostly reflecting what is going on with the pandemic...tories dropped in polls with all the shit going on last autumn and winter..but now we are approaching the end of lockdown and the vaccine rollout has been really successful, up they go again. In the end labour under Starmer is not really making many gains from when Corbyn was leader, he's gained some centrist type voters, but lost a bunch on the left...and is not winning over all those brexity red wall voters that seem to hold all the cards these days.  I think we're looking at a tory govt for the forseeable.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...Starmer has been a bit meh recently, there's no doubt about it....but also these polls are mostly reflecting what is going on with the pandemic...tories dropped in polls with all the shit going on last autumn and winter..but now we are approaching the end of lockdown and the vaccine rollout has been really successful, up they go again. In the end labour under Starmer is not really making many gains from when Corbyn was leader, he's gained some centrist type voters, but lost a bunch on the left...and is not winning over all those brexity red wall voters that seem to hold all the cards these days.  I think we're looking at a tory govt for the forseeable.

He was doing fine up until the vaccine, remember he called for the 2nd and 3rd lockdown before Johnson and the joke was ‘Captain Foresight’. Ever since the vaccine rollout Labour haven’t been able to keep in touch with the Tories, although they have been making mistakes in this time but there’s been no focus on them by Labour and the media.

I appreciate Starmer didn’t want to be seen to attack the government unnecessarily in time for crises and he has attacked them. But I think he need to go further now with that, he also needs to bring up Brexit and the impacts this is having too.

Ultimately you are right we will have a Tory government for a while but that doesn’t have to be the case we still have 3 years to do even damage to get a hung Parliament and given the poll movement we saw before the vaccine bounce I think Starmer was going about it the right way but he just needs to tweak his approach slightly now. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He was doing fine up until the vaccine, remember he called for the 2nd and 3rd lockdown before Johnson and the joke was ‘Captain Foresight’. Ever since the vaccine rollout Labour haven’t been able to keep in touch with the Tories, although they have been making mistakes in this time but there’s been no focus on them by Labour and the media.

I appreciate Starmer didn’t want to be seen to attack the government unnecessarily in time for crises and he has attacked them. But I think he need to go further now with that, he also needs to bring up Brexit and the impacts this is having too.

Ultimately you are right we will have a Tory government for a while but that doesn’t have to be the case we still have 3 years to do even damage to get a hung Parliament and given the poll movement we saw before the vaccine bounce I think Starmer was going about it the right way but he just needs to tweak his approach slightly now. 

I guess one thing that could really damage Johnson is if the union breaks up...I imagine that won't go down too well. But, the guy is a winner...and he'll probably somehow come out of all that on top too.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I guess one thing that could really damage Johnson is if the union breaks up...I imagine that won't go down too well. But, the guy is a winner...and he'll probably somehow come out of all that on top too.

I’m not sure what will damage Johnson, nothing really seems too.

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

Was just about to mention this,

"In 1988, the Duke of Edinburgh joked about deadly viruses when speaking to Deutsche Press Agentur.

Prince Philip reportedly said: “In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation.”"

But also came across this,

Prince-Philip-family-tree-2344048.jpg?r=

Turns out the Queen and Philip are related! I never knew that, he was often refered to as Phil the Greek but he's a gerry!

All the royals are inbred. For a really fucked up family tree check out the Hapsburgs. 

A weeks a long time in politics, labour have at least a couple of years, maybe 3. Lots can happen.

The turning point was when he booted Corbyn out. See in that latest yougov poll - one of the most notable things is the greens on 7%.

What the tories do so well is recognise that the news cycle moves fast, driven as it is by an all consuming novelty bias. Whenever there is a tory scandal, they just sweep it under the rug and shrug, a few days later the world has moved on.

Starmer chose the ’wrong hill to die on’ as the cliche goes. Trying to salve the faux outrage centrists who probably never voted labour in the first place and screamed that Corbyn’s apology wasn’t good enough at the cost of alienating a legion of activists. Then the attacks on the left since then..

He needs to extend an olive branch to the left in a big way - cabinet reshuffle, sack David Evans, stop obstructing party democracy at a local level at the minimum - and he needs to do it fast.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

... . Whenever there is a tory scandal, they just sweep it under the rug and shrug, a few days later the world has moved on. ...

OMG yes!  I feel like Cassanrda when I speak to people - "do you recal the time person x screwed us over and then laughed in our faces?".  And I get blank looks.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

All the royals are inbred. For a really fucked up family tree check out the Hapsburgs. 

Jesus fucking Christ:

Charles was the only surviving son of Mariana of Austria (1634–1696) and Philip IV of Spain (1605–1665) who was 56 years old at the time of his son's birth. For political reasons, marriages between Spanish and Austrian Habsburgs were common; Philip and Mariana were uncle and niece. All eight of his great-grandparents were descendants of Joanna and Philip I of Castile.[3]

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Jesus fucking Christ:

Charles was the only surviving son of Mariana of Austria (1634–1696) and Philip IV of Spain (1605–1665) who was 56 years old at the time of his son's birth. For political reasons, marriages between Spanish and Austrian Habsburgs were common; Philip and Mariana were uncle and niece. All eight of his great-grandparents were descendants of Joanna and Philip I of Castile.[3]

Ugly fucker isn't he? You'd think they'd have learnt to stop inbreeding a lot sooner 😅

f428149d17b28f5d0e7726df2334939f.jpg

9 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It's a small world isn't it, who would have guessed Bill Gates is related to the Queen?

https://famouskin.com/famous-kin-chart.php?name=7516+elizabeth+ii&kin=34818+bill+gates&via=27406+john+v+le+strange

Holy fug, Taylor Swift's 37xGreat grandad is Alfred the Great, and her 39xGreat grandad is Charles the Great.

Hope she continues the tradition and becomes Taylor the Great!

10 hours ago, gizmoman said:

It's a small world isn't it, who would have guessed Bill Gates is related to the Queen?

https://famouskin.com/famous-kin-chart.php?name=7516+elizabeth+ii&kin=34818+bill+gates&via=27406+john+v+le+strange

Ha ha ha.

If you go back 20 generations you get over a million 18 great-grandparents for the queen if you go back 22 generations you get 4 million 20 great-grandparents for Bill Gates of course they are related.

Or maybe they're both lizard people?

New Statesman sends me an email each morning because he likes and respects me so much...anyway, this is what he said today...

Good morning. Two thumbs up for Rishi Sunak: that's the preliminary verdict voters have on the Budget, according to the first post-Budget poll for YouGov. 

The Budget is also the highest scoring on the question of fairness or unfairness since YouGov began asking the question back in 2009. But the figure that would give me pause if I were in Sunak is that just 18 per cent of respondents believe that they will be worse off as a result of the Budget: an assessment that is hard to reconcile with the Budget's across-the-board tax rises and the £4bn of extra cuts this adds to 'unprotected' departmental spending (that is to say, spending priorities other than health, international development, education, and policing), which were already facing sharp cuts and growing financial pressures. 

Then there's the planned cut to universal credit in the autumn - just at the point that the Office of Budget Responsibility believes unemployment will peak - and you can see how this budget might unravel just as George Osborne's summer 2015 one did.

That's the cause for optimism within Keir Starmer's inner circle: that after the storm of the vaccine bounce and well-received Budget will come the better days (for them, at least) of arguments over a meagre pay rise for NHS workers and painful cuts elsewhere.

The cuts are sufficiently sharp that a number of economists - including the Institute for Fiscal Studies' Paul Johnson yesterday - are essentially arguing: look, there's no credible way those can be delivered, while a number of politicians, and not just in the Labour party, think that the only way those cuts can take place is by nuking the Conservative party's electoral hopes. 

Are they right? The secret to the Conservative Party's political successes and failures over the last decade has been expanding and contracting the reach of austerity in order to retain popularity. From 2010-7, that meant cuts for almost everything other than health and international development. From 2017-9, it meant increasing the amount going into the NHS and gradually extending the same protection to schools and policing. Labour's misery has been that whenever they have begun to make headway on one front, the Conservatives have withdrawn from austerity in that arena to continue it in another.

What's different this time is that Sunak is the first Chancellor since Osborne to increase, rather than decrease the scale of the planned cuts. That gives Labour hope that this time it really is different: that this time the cuts will be too much for the Conservative electoral coalition to bear. But it's equally possible that Sunak is right, and that the Tories can still reap further electoral dividends from an austerity agenda. 

19 hours ago, Cherry Tree said:

It is being reported on C4 news that the government report to the pay review body is suggesting a 1% wage rise for NHS workers. The got a few rounds of applause what more do they need?

Wasn’t there something relevant to this on the side of a bus recently?

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wasn’t there something relevant to this on the side of a bus recently?

Did they get the decimal point in the wrong place? Vote leave, and NHS nurses can get an extra £3.50 a week! How generous.

• Like 1