Jump to content

Glasto politics: Non covid news


zahidf
 Share

Recommended Posts

Listened to some Cummings on the way and way back from me Jab. A couple of digs at Carrie as expected and lots of how useless Boris is. He did say that no way that himself should have been in such a high position. He had a wonderful dig about the whole system and how messed up it all is and the wrong people are at the top jobs, and the real talent can not get there. Ended with saying the last Election summed it up with the choice of Boris or Corbyn who are both useless

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Cummings painting a very ugly picture today, that should damn the entire Tory leadership for a generation.

And yet I fear it will not even dent Johnson's popularity. He'll deny everything, and as Cummings is such an unsympathetic character, people will side with BJ.

Should we believe the liar and chancer or the liar and chancer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Listened to some Cummings on the way and way back from me Jab. A couple of digs at Carrie as expected and lots of how useless Boris is. He did say that no way that himself should have been in such a high position. He had a wonderful dig about the whole system and how messed up it all is and the wrong people are at the top jobs, and the real talent can not get there. Ended with saying the last Election summed it up with the choice of Boris or Corbyn who are both useless

So we're in the situation that Cummings is now the voice of reason, honesty and self-reflection. The world is upside-down!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, topmarksbri said:

Problem with Cummings evidence is that the impression I get from most people is that "mistakes were made and no one had dealt with a pandemic before, can't blame anyone, time to move on". Of course this is wrong but I think that's how a lot of public will deal with it

I happened to see a documentary about the 1918 pandemic in the middle of the night the USA govt never publicly acknowledged it was happening even when ten thousand plus conscripts died in army bases.. no wonder trump could get away with his approach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

So we're in the situation that Cummings is now the voice of reason, honesty and self-reflection. The world is upside-down!

I know. madness. He was painting himself as if he and a few others knew best, but then later basically said he was thick with no idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cummings is right that the entire process and governmental apparatus at the moment is fucked and needs a total overhaul.

We'd probably all be appalled by the way he would overhaul it, and call it undemocratic because it would be. But that doesn't mean he's wrong when he says it's broken in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Today hasn’t been good for Johnson but I wonder if it will have any cut through?

Cons +10

In all serious no...  I think Hancock is fucked.  Most people see Boris as an idiot who has been badly advised - and there is some truth around that - enough to keep him alive for now probably.  I don't see him leading the tories into the next election anyway.

Edited by Barry Fish
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Ian Dunt is a fool. Blows with the wind and then tries to claim hindsight as prophecy.

Same goes for James O’Brien, Dan Hodges etc

I blocked these charlatans on twitter sometime ago, I don’t want to be exposed to their blithering on here. In fact I’d rather shit in my hands and clap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:


Ian Dunt is a fool. Blows with the wind and then tries to claim hindsight as prophecy.

Same goes for James O’Brien, Dan Hodges etc

I blocked these charlatans on twitter sometime ago, I don’t want to be exposed to their blithering on here. In fact I’d rather shit in my hands and clap.

thanks for posting though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I don’t think it will have cut through tbh. The opposition just isn’t there. And wasn’t there at the time. Labour is complicit.

I don't know...this govt is dragging us to the cultural right...we're led by a clown who is meeting a potential new allie in Orban on Friday, and yet all you can do is criticise labour or some remainy/liberal twitterers because they may have been critical of Corbyn in the past. The left is so fucked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know...this govt is dragging us to the cultural right...we're led by a clown who is meeting a potential new allie in Orban on Friday, and yet all you can do is criticise labour or some remainy/liberal twitterers because they may have been critical of Corbyn in the past. The left is so fucked.


It doesn’t matter though. If I and every other ’looney left’ ’trot’ ’militant’ ’hard left’ ’extreme left’ shuts up about Starmer and the influence of silly commentators, Labour will still lose.

Before Labour even contemplates the possibility of winning an election the ghost of New Labour that currently haunts the party needs to be exorcised once and for all, including half the PLP. The rules need to be changed to enshrine the dominance of members over any other branch of the party in internal affairs.
 

Finally, it needs to stand upto the agenda’d liberal media, the lonely, empty, know-it-all understand-nothings, who sit and sneer, and smear, from the sidelines like Dunt does. The guardian is a liberal newspaper. Its commentators commentate from a liberal position, largely a lib dem position, they are not balanced and actively undermine the social democratic platform.

The fight for the labour party, or indeed whatever comes after it, has to take precedence over the fight vs the tories, because the latter is not winnable before the former is won.

Edited by mattiloy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Before Labour even contemplates the possibility of winning an election the ghost of New Labour that currently haunts the party needs to be exorcised once and for all, including half the PLP. The rules need to be changed to enshrine the dominance of members over any other branch of the party in internal affairs.

Only one man has won the GE for labour in the last 45 years: Tony Blair. New Labour remains the only successful incarnation of the Labour Party in 45 years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Cons +10

In all serious no...  I think Hancock is fucked.  Most people see Boris as an idiot who has been badly advised - and there is some truth around that - enough to keep him alive for now probably.  I don't see him leading the tories into the next election anyway.

Hancock was always going to be thrown under the bus been obvious for at least a year is spaffer does it now it can be used to deflect from much of the Cummings stuff. It's all a game to all of threm it's not about doing what's right for the country. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Only one man has won the GE for labour in the last 45 years: Tony Blair. New Labour remains the only successful incarnation of the Labour Party in 45 years.

And alongside that the biggest failures have been when the lunatics have taken over the asylum. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Only one man has won the GE for labour in the last 45 years: Tony Blair. New Labour remains the only successful incarnation of the Labour Party in 45 years.


Yes I’m aware, so sayeth centrist Dads of Britain everywhere. Nothing can ever happen other than the things that have occured in your voting lifetime and the Labour party is doomed to this neverending cycle of kinnocks and foots and Blairs. Its been happening since the stone age, caveman kinnock, caveman foot, caveman Benn, some militant cavemen and then caveman Blair saved us all.

By the next general election 1997 will be 27 years in the past.

Long enough so that what, a good third?, of the people who voted in 1997 will be dead given the age distribution of voters and life expectancy.

Tony Blair took leadership of the party not long after the end of the cold war. The cold war! The internet was of little concern to anybody. Nigel Farage was still working as a stockbroker. The Euro didnt exist. Hong Kong was a british colony - suffice to say the world has changed.

Disillusionment with third way politics is what delivered Brexit. And New Labours solution to win back those voters who plainly reject the neoliberal consensus of the 80s and 90s.

When even the right wing party is posing as a radical, reforming party (if only on messaging, as they certainly aren’t delivering) surely its a fairly good sign that there is something in it

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:


Yes I’m aware, so sayeth centrist Dads of Britain everywhere. Nothing can ever happen other than the things that have occured in your voting lifetime and the Labour party is doomed to this neverending cycle of kinnocks and foots and Blairs. Its been happening since the stone age, caveman kinnock, caveman foot, caveman Benn, some militant cavemen and then caveman Blair saved us all.

By the next general election 1997 will be 27 years in the past.

 

The next election corbyns politics will be fifty years in the past.

 

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Long enough so that what, a good third?, of the people who voted in 1997 will be dead given the age distribution of voters and life expectancy.

Tony Blair took leadership of the party not long after the end of the cold war. The cold war! The internet was of little concern to anybody. Nigel Farage was still working as a stockbroker. The Euro didnt exist. Hong Kong was a british colony - suffice to say the world has changed.

Disillusionment with third way politics is what delivered Brexit. And New Labours solution to win back those voters who plainly reject the neoliberal consensus of the 80s and 90s.

When even the right wing party is posing as a radical, reforming party (if only on messaging, as they certainly aren’t delivering) surely its a fairly good sign that there is something in it

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Before Labour even contemplates the possibility of winning an election the ghost of New Labour that currently haunts the party needs to be exorcised once and for all, including half the PLP. The rules need to be changed to enshrine the dominance of members over any other branch of the party in internal affairs.

I would love to see this happen, but I don't see it too many have a vested interest in the status quo 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...