news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Labour vote absolutely collapsed in favour of the Lib Dems. Not that it was the key factor as there was an even bigger CON > LD swing, but I wonder if we see the same tactical voting in Batley & Spen where Labour could really use a sizeable portion of the LD vote.

@mattiloy will be along soon to comment on how disastrous this is for Starmer (it isn’t) and how the Greens are hoovering up the Labour vote (they aren’t) 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Labour vote absolutely collapsed in favour of the Lib Dems. Not that it was the key factor as there was an even bigger CON > LD swing, but I wonder if we see the same tactical voting in Batley & Spen where Labour could really use a sizeable portion of the LD vote.

@mattiloy will be along soon to comment on how disastrous this is for Starmer (it isn’t) and how the Greens are hoovering up the Labour vote (they aren’t) 

I think it was always a dead rubber for Labour. A good illustration that tactical voting can work, just a pity that it only swaps a blue tory for a yellow one on this occasion. Low turnout and HS2 also unique local factors.

Batley and Spen is the more meaningful one. I don’t think Labour will win it but I’d be surprised if Starmer goes anyway. I think only a tory party implosion can deliver victory to Starmer’s Labour at the next GE. Furthermore if anything the Chesham election shows that potential for Labour to gain what they lost in the red wall in the leafy liberal burghs in the blue wall is probably under threat by the lib dems. Labour could end up being outflanked by the lib dems, the tories and the greens. And I cant see Labour agreeing to a progressive alliance. I could even see another tory lib dem coalition happening before that happens.

Edited by mattiloy

12 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I think it was always a dead rubber for Labour. A good illustration that tactical voting can work, just a pity that it only swaps a blue tory for a yellow one on this occasion. Low turnout and HS2 also unique local factors.

Batley and Spen is the more meaningful one. I don’t think Labour will win it but I’d be surprised if Starmer goes anyway. I think only a tory party implosion can deliver victory to Starmer’s Labour at the next GE. Furthermore if anything the Chesham election shows that potential for Labour to gain what they lost in the red wall in the leafy liberal burghs in the blue wall is probably under threat by the lib dems. Labour could end up being outflanked by the lib dems, the tories and the greens. And I cant see Labour agreeing to a progressive alliance. I could even see another tory lib dem coalition happening before that happens.

By Elections always have low turn outs and are famously unreliable bell weathers for general elections, I wouldn't read much into either. That being said I'm not sure you can selectively use the evidence of one by election which is bad for KS and ignore the other one which is (in a roundabout way) good news for KS.

Also don't see the result in C+A happening with JC a Labour leader. Easy to mobilise con support when you’re scaring Home Counties biddies with big bad scary commie labour leader. None of them are scared of the blandest man in existence so feel more able to vote LD.

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Only a Tory partyimplosion could have delivered victory to corbyns labour.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Labour aren't winning the next election, or the one after that, or maybe the one after that...etc.

I agree labour has been severely damaged. Much like it was in 1984.

So just like Blair was the consequence of a push to the left. The corbynistas need to ready themselves for the consequence of their doings.....

Edited by eFestivals

The Lib Dems don't win that seat with a Corbynite Labour party.

Leafy remainy Tory shires have been threatening to go Lib Dem for a few years but they held their nose and voted for Brexity Boris for fears that they'd enable a Corbyn led coalition.

With Starmer in place, the Lib Dems are in a much better place to win seats outside of red wall shitholes.

26 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Got sourcelinl?link?

Just read this topic from the beginning. There's a number of people who've posted by elivibg nanday would be doing a better job as leader. She can't even do a better job as shadow foeuiegn secretary  than raabwhich doesn't make m we think she could cut thru as leader if you can't better Raaab then you probably can't better spaffer either.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Meanwhile.

I wonder what the kick back is going to be if/ when we are asked to restrict certain things to help climate change .…. Will it be the same people who fight it as with covid ? Some challenging stuff around the corner .., 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I wonder what the kick back is going to be if/ when we are asked to restrict certain things to help climate change .…. Will it be the same people who fight it as with covid ? Some challenging stuff around the corner .., 

yeah, especially timescales are longer. I think they will just need to find solutions instead of too many restrictions, electricity from renewables, alternatives to using petrochemicals, electric cars (driverless and reduce car ownership?), more electric powered public transport, replace gas boilers etc etc. Christ knows about flights, think they'll need to put the prices up. I think in short/mid term we're already pretty fucked, but just need to act now so not superduper fucked in the long term. The challenge is huge.

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, especially timescales are longer. I think they will just need to find solutions instead of too many restrictions, electricity from renewables, alternatives to using petrochemicals, electric cars (driverless and reduce car ownership?), more electric powered public transport, replace gas boilers etc etc. Christ knows about flights, think they'll need to put the prices up. I think in short/mid term we're already pretty fucked, but just need to act now so not superduper fucked in the long term. The challenge is huge.

People being unable to holiday will be a thing … some massive challenges ahead … I guess in many ways I’m fortunate that I  don’t have kids and concerns over their futures … moving away from meat eating will also have a big impact along with the bigger infrastructure projects you mention … at least Glastonbury has a positive environmental impact