news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

The young middle-class lefties think the northern class lefties are Leave voting racists.

Anecdotal evidence isn't good evidence but that's not really my experience of young middle class lefties - I think there's a general sense that they've been mislead about brexit and maybe they're gullible (which is obviously it's own patronising issue) but I don't know many who think they're genuinely racist. 

Taking the author out of the equation, I think Tonty Blairs line that Labour have exchanged a leader who was seen as 'radical, but not sensible' for one who is seen as 'sensible, but not radical' is pretty dead on. 

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Why is Corbyn getting involved and trying to stay relevant? It’s the same as your ex partner getting in touch with your new partner and telling them what to do. 

Move on old man. Your time is up. 

ah...come on...he was labour leader not long ago...he is still a bit relevant...especially when some people still think Corbyn is the problem, or on the other side that Corbyn could be the saviour.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ah...come on...he was labour leader not long ago...he is still a bit relevant...especially when some people still think Corbyn is the problem, or on the other side that Corbyn could be the saviour.

My point is that it gets to a stage when it’s time to move on and not keep dwelling about what could of been. And you can’t move on while your ex is still sniffing around. 

41 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I don't - but if you were in a Scandinavian country we were talking about  it wouldn't be because of minimum wages and rent controls.

Berlin is changing its rent controls and the general opinion is that it's not going to make much of an improvement.thrresblimitsbon the numbers that can be accommodated in the available housing.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/may/12/online-safety-bill-why-is-it-more-of-a-minefield-in-the-culture-wars

Yay, The government want to give OFCOM the power to censor the internet in the UK, including censoring "Harmful but not unlawful speech" we are hurling towards a police state.

But yeah the masks were the problem the whole time. 

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Labour the party of nothing, the party for nobody. A party well and truly in its death throes.

A8A03DAE-6CED-4161-8995-E25E657B41A5.jpeg

I would love to see more Green MPs but sadly it's not hugely likely with our FPTP system. I know it's a catch 22 type of thing but we need to change the electoral system so these parties can have more of a chance.

Labour were in much the same position after the 1983 election defeat (funnily enough with another strongly left wing manifesto). Everyone was writing them off and they came back. The same will happen this time.

friend of mine - on NHS waiting list, end of June for earliest appt. Asked about going private, booked in for next Tuesday.

Same fucking equipment, same doctor, same hospital.

How about there's a ban on private health for 12 months or until the backlog is fixed?

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I would love to see more Green MPs but sadly it's not hugely likely with our FPTP system. I know it's a catch 22 type of thing but we need to change the electoral system so these parties can have more of a chance.

I’d wager they’ll win at least a couple more in the next election.

In any case the main point was about the capitulation of Labour under Starmandelson.

9 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Labour were in much the same position after the 1983 election defeat (funnily enough with another strongly left wing manifesto). Everyone was writing them off and they came back. The same will happen this time.

Time isn’t circular. History never repeats itself.

History tells us (and Labour need to learn) that they will always lose elections if they fight them with strong left wing manifestos. Moderate the policies and get themselves a half decent leader and they'll get elected again (although not until the General Election after next at the earliest).