news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Excellent jab rollout by the nhs and good vaccine procurement you mean ? 

Well yeah, but that doesn’t stop him claiming the credit for it. 

Just now, mattiloy said:

’Excellent pandemic performance’. He’s only lucky the dead can’t vote.

Well exactly. For most of us though, we are coming out of the pandemic before comparable European countries. 

Just now, eFestivals said:

Not sure how much the NHS has to do with the rollout.the USA has delivered many more jabs without a centralised bheathcare system behind it

They have delivered as many vaccines as they have had available with the help of many volunteers … so yes the nhs and infrastructure has played a part In it … no point having the jabs of you don’t have the people to stick them in peoples arms is there ? 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

They have delivered as many vaccines as they have had available with the help of many volunteers … so yes the nhs and infrastructure has played a part In it … no point having the jabs of you don’t have the people to stick them in peoples arms is there ? 

The NHS definitely takes a lot of the credit (though the government does get credit for actually buying the vaccines and making sure they were delivered on time) but ultimately the Tories will come out and claim the credit and the electorate will lap it up.

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I'm not trying to suggestthe NHS played no part I'm simply pointing out that a quicker result has been delivered without something similar playing a part.

34 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Well yeah, but that doesn’t stop him claiming the credit for it. 

Well exactly. For most of us though, we are coming out of the pandemic before comparable European countries. 

Be that as it may, the death toll is considerably worse than most countries per capita, even with amongst the most severe lockdowns, an attitude early on which underplayed the seriousness of the virus, decisions not taken which undoubtedly led to the loss of life. Its been a catastrophe. Starmer has laid low throughout this total shambles only to find Johnson pull the rabbit out of the hat at the end with the vaccines. The opportunity to bash the tories on decisions that to me border on manslaughter by negligence, cronyism and corruption, lockdowns.. gone begging.

Its been such feeble opposition.

And now Starmer’s voice double Rachel Reeves is shadow chancellor so even if by some miracle they get into power, expect an austerity fiscal programme that will lock us into another flat growth decade without ever actually getting near to balancing the books. Madness.

Edited by mattiloy
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

And now Starmer’s voice double Rachel Reeves is shadow chancellor so even if by some miracle they get into power, expect an austerity fiscal programme that will lock us into another flat growth decade without ever actually getting near to balancing the books. Madness.

well, they won't get into power, so you don't have to worry about that.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well, they won't get into power, so you don't have to worry about that.

True enough..

Its a bit depressing though. Any protest will fall on deaf ears. I fear Keir’s death march will take Labour all the way. In my lifetime the party has never been in more dire straits than it finds itself right now

And the people in charge seem to be completely unaware that they are hurtling towards the cliff edge. In fact their solution is to hit the gas 

Edited by mattiloy

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Not another one.

I am partly responsible for that as Labour were my second choice candidate for the West Yorkshire mayor. 

I also know Batley fairly well and knowing the people there and peoples opinions this side of Leeds I wouldn’t be surprised if that seat goes blue. The nearby seats are already blue unfortunately. 

Just now, Simsy said:

Please let it backfire like Cameron's stupid referendum 🤞

Hopefully!

The FTPA was fascinating legislation bright into ensure the Coalition was stable, it then propped top Mays zombie government then ended up doing what it was supposed to when Johnson wanted to call a GE (for a time anyway).

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Repealing the act is simply a manifesto commitment but I think there is good reason to call an early election.

Boris mandate for what needs to be done post covid is weak and his hand is strong.  

I think it would be a wise move. Labour are a wounded animal.

There’s little benefit of an early election tbh. He still has a mandate for levelling up and a huge majority to get it done. I do think a slightly early election will be called (spring 2023 rather than the following year) but I’d put the odds of an election before the end of next year at 10%, and that 10% represents the chance that Boris is backstabbed and the new PM goes to the public for a mandate. 

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Why the briefing she was being sacked last night I wonder?

Apparently the briefings were coming from her aides - I imagine either it was badly communicated to her or she was trying to get the jump on KS in case he tried something last minute.

16 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Apparently the briefings were coming from her aides - I imagine either it was badly communicated to her or she was trying to get the jump on KS in case he tried something last minute.

I imagine she could well be one of the first to move against Starmer if things continue to go badly over the next few years.

Anyway...Starmer definitely weakened now...if labour get hammered in next election, which is looking likely at moment, he'll be gone...maybe even beforehand if polls bad for labour. Then there will be an almighty hooha over which direction they will go in and who they need as leader...could well be Reeves vs Rayner. Pretty grim really, unless you like this Bojo shit.

I was listening to the Radio4 programme Week in Westminster over the weekend because I am a very boring man, and they had a bunch of commentators on there talking about the elections...and that Fraser Nelson turd from the Spectator was saying a lot of people in government are shocked and surprised how well they're still doing in red wall seats, said they're not sure what they're doing right. Anyway, was quite interesting, if you're boring like me you should have a listen.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Anyway...Starmer definitely weakened now...if labour get hammered in next election, which is looking likely at moment, he'll be gone...maybe even beforehand if polls bad for labour. Then there will be an almighty hooha over which direction they will go in and who they need as leader...could well be Reeves vs Rayner. Pretty grim really, unless you like this Bojo shit.

Remnd yourself how it got there and the part you played In Supporting that. It's not  just about other people's failings. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Remnd yourself how it got there and the part you played In Supporting that. It's not  just about other people's failings. 

eh what? You keep saying this to me? I've been mostly supporting Starmer on here, but have been a bit critical recently....is that not allowed?!

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

eh what? You keep saying this to me? I've been mostly supporting Starmer on here, but have been a bit critical recently....is that not allowed?!

Its allowed, but a partisan position is not a neutral act. Where Labour is is the outcome of lots of different input. Input which those inputting want to think of as neutral. 

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think you might have the wrong poster mate, Stevie has generally been pretty supportive of Labour under Starmer. He’s only said a few critical things after the elections which is fair enough.