news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Everyone knows spaffers flawsvtoobfew care about them.

What's been up with your spelling recently? - Broken keyboard or something? apologies if it's a rude question, just noticed it on most of your post, sometimes thought it was on purpose when criticizing SNP. 

Also do we have demographic breakdowns for previous local elections, wouldn't surprise me if a lot less young people vote than in a general election relative to older demographics. - I saw no one young when I went to the poll

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah fuck.

I don't think you should worry, from what I can read on Twitter (yes I know...) it seems that Khan will win in the 2nd round as voters have given smaller parties their vote in the first round.

5 hours ago, Haan said:

"working class" Hartlepool where most own their own homes vs "working class" woke Londoners on min wage hmmm.

You are right that the Labour are disconnected with what the average British person wants, but no one in this thread (me included) seem to have a coherent idea of what Labour should even do to remedy that.

have you actually been to Hartlepool? I don't dispute there is good home ownership but its a proper shithole that has lost pretty much all of it's industry and lot of folks pretty poor

I agree labour has lost it's vision against the PR/Marketing waffle Tory soundbites that general joe public who don't give a fig about politics are listening and sadly believing in 😞 

2 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

have you actually been to Hartlepool? I don't dispute there is good home ownership but its a proper shithole that has lost pretty much all of it's industry and lot of folks pretty poor

I agree labour has lost it's vision against the PR/Marketing waffle Tory soundbites that general joe public who don't give a fig about politics are listening and sadly believing in 😞 

yeah, the good people of Hartlepool wanted change...so have voted tory.

It's actually super weird to seeing Hartlepool being on the news so heavily tbh - I was born there and all my family currently live there (I escaped early 90s thank god)

What's sad to see is that most folks seem to think Tories will help them, up investment, level them up, bring more jobs and make good change... yet Tories have been in power for 11 years and they seriously don't give a flying fig about about the North never mind a small NE seaside town that hung a monkey back in the day...

But Tories have defo mastered the good PR and Marketing waffle, which folks are eating up as general joe public don't particularly care about politics and just listen to the soundbites - Tories playing a blinder on this and unfortunately Labour still clinging to integrity and pointing out all the unbelievable shit Bojo and Co are doing, but guess what people don't seem to care and labour are really paying the price.

They need a stronger vision and quite frankly need to play dirty to show grit, as that is why is giving Bojo more votes it's crazy!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Be funny if those who were so confident of a Khan win voted green and got Bailey.

I mean funny in a Mrs Brown's Boys sort of way.

STV means this is unlikely. 

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Correlation/Causation.

A lot of soul searching to be done and I don't this KS is the answer but that doesn't mean than an RLB type is the answer either. In terms of Labour dying out, 8 years before Bill Clinton came to power Reagan one all but one state in America,  highest number of electoral votes ever received by a presidential candidate. I remember similar conversations about the Tories in the early mid 2000s as well.  

Someone help me out, what does woke actually mean?

First time I heard it used was in Redbone by Childish Gambino where it basically meant ‘pay attention’, then nothing for years, now suddenly it’s apparently the worst thing someone can be. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, the good people of Hartlepool wanted change...so have voted tory.

they have Farage's HQ there, highest Brexit vote in the area and that's why the pool turned all the Brexit votes went to Tories...

I can't even speak to my parents about Brexit as some of the shit they come out with is unbelievable - I'm afraid to say there is alot of xenophobia and racism up that way 😞 

It's actually quite funny the old story that they hung a monkey that washed a shore from a sunken ship because they thought it was a Frenchman back in the 15th century or whenever it was - quite fitting for these days up there 

1 minute ago, topmarksbri said:

A lot of soul searching to be done and I don't this KS is the answer but that doesn't mean than an RLB type is the answer either. In terms of Labour dying out, 8 years before Bill Clinton came to power Reagan one all but one state in America,  highest number of electoral votes ever received by a presidential candidate. I remember similar conversations about the Tories in the early mid 2000s as well.  

They need someone who is likable, comes across as normal. I mean, Johnson is so un fucking normal but still he can pull it off...he's very good at it.

1 minute ago, Mimo said:

First time I heard it used was in Redbone by Childish Gambino where it basically meant ‘pay attention’, then nothing for years, now suddenly it’s apparently the worst thing someone can be. 

it's the new word for being too PC or basically giving a shit to your fellow person - I really hate the word tbh

2 minutes ago, Mimo said:

alert to injustice in society, especially racism.

25 minutes ago, Mimo said:

Woke culture is simply pushing progressive narratives. The right critique wokeism because they don’t think of it as real problems. They argue that it’s only an issue for middle class elites.