news & politics:discussion

zahidf

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is good (imo) by Rafael Behr...

Indeed. The trouble is that folk think ’politicians, they’re all the same’ when it comes to snouts in the trough. And to an extent they’re right, Labour MPs have been found to be doing so many a time.

Starmer is all rhetoric - ’we’ll stop this kind of corruption’ - without talking about how, so it just rings hollow. 
Corruption is a symptom of a system Where distance between voter and representative is large, so accountability is non existant. He should be talking about policies he will introduce to reduce that distance, put people in control and increase accountability. Which, incidentally, is the exact opposite of what he’s been getting upto in labour internal politics.

He’s just this shit, low energy, middle management Blairite throwback. 

All Labours efforts need to be focused on a ’progressive alliance’ with PR as the big goal, otherwise its a thousand year tory reich.

24 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

All Labours efforts need to be focused on a ’progressive alliance’ with PR as the big goal, otherwise its a thousand year tory reich.

yeah, I wonder if labour will do this...it is like admitting defeat that can't beat tories alone...and also will likely lead to the splitting up of the labour party...no bad thing in my opinion, but would be a brave labour leader to do that.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

This is good (imo) by Rafael Behr...

Good read but he doesn’t give any possible solutions just problems. This is a theme between commentators when they outline how difficult it is for Labour I’ve noticed. 

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, I wonder if labour will do this...it is like admitting defeat that can't beat tories alone...and also will likely lead to the splitting up of the labour party...no bad thing in my opinion, but would be a brave labour leader to do that.

Yeah kind of perversely, if he had the balls to do that and carried it off, even if he did nothing else, he’d be one of the all time great politicians

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Good read but he doesn’t give any possible solutions just problems. This is a theme between commentators when they outline how difficult it is for Labour I’ve noticed. 

I guess labour just need to offer an alternative...and not think of tory as some sort of nasty bastard party that people are tricked into voting (although they are a nasty bastard party that people are tricked into voting).

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess labour just need to offer an alternative...and not think of tory as some sort of nasty bastard party that people are tricked into voting (although they are a nasty bastard party that people are tricked into voting).

They should read my post, I solved it lads.

Also we should always call the Tories nasty.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe labour should say they're going to bring back hanging?

If that's what they'd done you'd have good reason to attack their attempts at realigning with voters, but instead they've merely tried to move on from the self indulgent politics of Corbyn.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and it isn't working

We’ll see over the next few days but polling suggest Labour are set to make gains in local council. They need to be over 7 points behind to make losses in councils. 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and it isn't working

Because people like you have don exactly the same thing that you said was so awful when the mistake of Corbyn was pointed out.a direct comparison with Corbyn can be made with these locals. As these locals were the first vote Corbyn faced, where he did pretty shit it isn't working and the cult defended him to the hilt and called it a victory.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

We’ll see over the next few days but polling suggest Labour are set to make gains in local council. They need to be over 7 points behind to make losses in councils. 

If they make gains then that's an improvement on Corbyn who fought these same seats did shit and called it a victory.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Because people like you have don exactly the same thing that you said was so awful when the mistake of Corbyn was pointed out.a direct comparison with Corbyn can be made with these locals. As these locals were the first vote Corbyn faced, where he did pretty shit it isn't working and the cult defended him to the hilt and called it a victory.

people like me? what the fuck. I don't even understand your post...but I have been pretty critical of corbyn on here and defended starmer and also the need to do the patriotic thing...but whatever...labour did badly in 2019 under corbyn, and have not recovered at all according to many recent polls. Now, that could be vaccines and lockdown ending, could be the fact that brexit was done by the Johnson government, could be that Starmer is boring as fuck and labour are selling nothing except oh look the tories are sleazy...I don't know, but don't give me your people like me shite.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If they make gains then that's an improvement on Corbyn who fought these same seats did shit and called it a victory.

I don’t wanna comment on Corbyn as I think we all need to move passed that but the polls show some gains could be made. Which is encouraging but a long way to go. 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

people like me? what the fuck. I don't even understand your post...but I have been pretty critical of corbyn on here and defended starmer and also the need to do the patriotic thing...but whatever...labour did badly in 2019 under corbyn, and have not recovered at all according to many recent polls. Now, that could be vaccines and lockdown ending, could be the fact that brexit was done by the Johnson government, could be that Starmer is boring as fuck and labour are selling nothing except oh look the tories are sleazy...I don't know, but don't give me your people like me shite.

I thought you were one of those who has taken great delight in calling starmer shit he might be shit but he's the best Labour has to offer right now.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I thought you were one of those who has taken great delight in calling starmer shit he might be shit but he's the best Labour has to offer right now.

I have supported him and defended him...but I am starting to lose faith and am thinking Nandy might have been a better choice. I still think he needs more time..see what happens post pandemic, and what labour's policies actually are. I'm sure there will be a big rethink of strategies if elections as bad as feared tomorrow.