news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, lost said:

You've posted a price which is way above the energy cap and said that proves they are greedy? They are greedy by selling us energy below cost?

Come on, we both know that if it wasn’t for the current price cap in the UK those firms would have boosted their prices by a lot more.

The energy cap did at least do its job in that regards. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Come on, we both know that if it wasn’t for the current price cap in the UK those firms would have boosted their prices by a lot more.

The energy cap did at least do its job in that regards. 

Well according to your numbers yes. We are getting a 50% discount on our energy costs. Prices need to double for the energy companies to break even and that's before staffing and infrastructure costs.

Edited by lost

47 minutes ago, lost said:

Well according to your numbers yes. We are getting a 50% discount on our energy costs. Prices need to double for the energy companies to break even and that's before staffing and infrastructure costs.

Shell made adjusted EBITDA for Q2 alone of $23.1b, they just like the majority of the others are doing just fine. It’s pure greed to put up our prices anymore. 

Edited by Ozanne

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Shell made adjusted EBITDA for Q2 alone of $23.1b, they just like the majority of the others are doing just fine. It’s pure greed to put up our prices anymore. 

Different energy company though isn't it. You've posted a link saying British energy companies are paying £564Mwh. What Shell made from say Iraqi oil fiends doesn't really have anything to do with that does it? For a start our power stations don't run on oil.

Edited by lost

54 minutes ago, lost said:

Different energy company though isn't it. You've posted a link saying British energy companies are paying £564Mwh. What Shell made from say Iraqi oil fiends doesn't really have anything to do with that does it? For a start our power stations don't run on oil.

Shell was an example of a firm that can easily absorb the cap increase being cancelled. I use Shell for my home electricity so it does matter as they’ll be looking to put my price up out of pure greed because they can’t possibly have a dent in their margins.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Shell was an example of a firm that can easily absorb the cap increase being cancelled. I use Shell for my home electricity so it does matter as they’ll be looking to put my price up out of pure greed because they can’t possibly have a dent in their margins.

Switch then? Isn't shell 100% renewable, basically shell in name only and nothing to do with the oil business?

Edited by lost

ok - this price cap thing...in simple terms...this is set by ofgem every 6 months to reflect costs faced by suppliers...and these costs have gone up first by post pandemic rise in demand and then by Russia-Ukraine war messing with supply. If government freezes cap by basically paying energy companies the shortfall...and will help pay for this by increasing the windfall tax (or levy) on these same energy companies?

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok - this price cap thing...in simple terms...this is set by ofgem every 6 months to reflect costs faced by suppliers...and these costs have gone up first by post pandemic rise in demand and then by Russia-Ukraine war messing with supply.

Yes

If government freezes cap by basically paying energy companies the shortfall...and will help pay for this by increasing the windfall tax (or levy) on these same energy companies?

£14bn coming from adding to national debt, £7bn from theoretical savings on interest due to lower inflation, £8bn by chopping the "reinvestment" part of the Tories windfall tax  (So no investment for 6 months I guess)

Edited by lost

27 minutes ago, lost said:

Switch then? Isn't shell 100% renewable, basically shell in name only and nothing to do with the oil business?

All other providers are the same, I have looked.

Shell Energy is owned by the oil giant Shell so they are one of the same and don’t need to put their prices up. 

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok - this price cap thing...in simple terms...this is set by ofgem every 6 months to reflect costs faced by suppliers...and these costs have gone up first by post pandemic rise in demand and then by Russia-Ukraine war messing with supply. If government freezes cap by basically paying energy companies the shortfall...and will help pay for this by increasing the windfall tax (or levy) on these same energy companies?

The cap gets reviewed every 3 months now.

That is Labours plan, they will tax the energy companies on their additional profits and will use that to fund cancelling the cap rising. So under their plan the public wouldn’t be paying more than they are now and would have some certainty. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Shell Energy is owned by the oil giant Shell so they are one of the same and don’t need to put their prices up. 

I thought it was re-badged first utility like shell broadband is re-badged post office broadband so in the same way when BT put up line rental costs shell broadband won't stay the same.

3 hours ago, lost said:

I thought it was re-badged first utility like shell broadband is re-badged post office broadband so in the same way when BT put up line rental costs shell broadband won't stay the same.

It was first utility but brought by Shell and rebranded as Shell Energy. 

Whilst our governments fix energy costs for all so Mr Smith from London never has to pay more than £18k a year to heat his indoor swimming pool at his 2nd home in Newquay we will never get demand destruction, these are the countries we are outbidding for that energy:

Edited by lost

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Whilst our governments fix energy costs for all so Mr Smith from London never has to pay more than £18k a year to heat his indoor swimming pool at his 2nd home in Newquay we will never get demand destruction, these are the countries we are outbidding for that energy:

we all built a future on gas then the future changed.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

they can fuck off !!!

Don’t worry it’s just a distraction to occupy the minds of the angry masses. If they’re whining about cyclists they’re not talking about the cost of living crisis. 

Obviously oblivious to the fact that more people cycling would contribute to reducing peoples fuel costs.