news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s not really free money it’s letting people keep more of their own money. 

as an exchange for doing things differently to the norm.

7 hours ago, Ozanne said:

That’s not entirely true, they are still proposing to keep the support for low income families and pensioners. 

His argument is that wealthier households should be using less energy and higher prices helps with that, same problem as Sunak's £400 for everyone. It's very expensive despite the inflation fiddle thing, and what happens if prices remain high after next March?

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

His argument is that wealthier households should be using less energy and higher prices helps with that, same problem as Sunak's £400 for everyone. It's very expensive despite the inflation fiddle thing, and what happens if prices remain high after next March?

Then we tax the energy firms they are rich enough to absorb the cost.

His arguments is wrong when the bills are going to be up to around £4k.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

It's very expensive despite the inflation fiddle thing, and what happens if prices remain high after next March?

You'd think the Tories would use it as an attack line that labour would of added £60bn to the national debt but I'm not sure its going to hit home after they've just added £400bn during covid.

3 minutes ago, lost said:

You'd think the Tories would use it as an attack line that labour would of added £60bn to the national debt but I'm not sure its going to hit home after they've just added £400bn during covid.

I don't think people are as bothered anymore, austerity + pandemic have changed the mindset.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't think people are as bothered anymore, austerity + pandemic have changed the mindset.

Indeed. We'd actually need to see the consequences a la Greece and Italy etc.. We do have the weakest pound since 1985 and the worst trade deficit in history but the results of those can be blamed on other things. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Then we tax the energy firms they are rich enough to absorb the cost.

His arguments is wrong when the bills are going to be up to around £4k.

not sure the energy firms that can be taxed here are rich enough, windfall taxes only partly pay for this. Labour's policy is similar to Sunak's £400 for everyone, except it's now £1000 or thereabouts for everyone, even the super duper rich like me.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

not sure the energy firms that can be taxed here are rich enough, windfall taxes only partly pay for this. Labour's policy is similar to Sunak's £400 for everyone, except it's now £1000 or thereabouts for everyone, even the super duper rich like me.

It’s nothing like Sunak’s policy, this one is cancelling the cap rise and keeping bills at the current level which also gives families some certainty over bill rather than what there is now. Sunak would wait for bills to rise then give people money.

They can tax the energy firms that do business in the UK. Unless you care more about massive corporations than you do working families of course. 

On 8/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, Neil said:

i can't believe that roy hackett isn't more widely celebrated, his actions have impacted on every non-white in the uk. there should be a roy hacket day. 🙂  he';s well celebrated in bristol.

th?id=OIP.bBidMwD18LGTCRnL3dtmRQHaGA&pid

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s nothing like Sunak’s policy, this one is cancelling the cap rise and keeping bills at the current level which also gives families some certainty over bill rather than what there is now. Sunak would wait for bills to rise then give people money.

They can tax the energy firms that do business in the UK. Unless you care more about massive corporations than you do working families of course. 

no, I just mean tax is not going to raise the £30billion required, which is why Starmer saying only part of this will be funded by windfall taxes. And I meant similar to Sunak's £400 thing in that it benefits everyone, not just the poorest...that is what that bloke on Guardian was arguing. Guardian leader on other hand broadly praises it...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/15/the-guardian-view-on-keir-starmers-bills-freeze-smart-politics-needs-smart-economics

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

only part of this will be funded by windfall taxes

the energy companies won't be making profits big enough to pay for the energy at the public's end, they'll be selling high because they'll be buying high.

Edited by Neil