news & politics:discussion

zahidf

54 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s strange sometimes how a contest goes, Sunak at first in the debates performed the best in my mind but he’s lost it now. 

I feel for him in a way, as he must know it's lost, but he has to go through the motions of it now.  He won't want to drop out, as that looks like giving up and he hasn't really dropped a clanger like Leadsom did in 2016.  He'll likely not get a good role in the new cabinet either.

I’m noticing a lot of Lib commentators, the likes of James O’Brien, starting to talk up nationalisation of energy as if they just invented the idea whilst *almost slagging off Starmer for not backing proper wage rises for workers.

And you know what, fine, all for personal growth. But it is quite remarkable.

Maybe it takes things getting really shit to make the libs realise that just because they did alright, that in fact the unfettered market doesn’t actually work.

Edited by mattiloy

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

New Statesman's latest podcast about Labour/Starmer/Forde/Tarry is worth a listen if you like that sort of thing...

https://play.acast.com/s/newstatesman/from-the-forde-report-to-strikes-is-labour-still-divided

Of course Labour is divided to an extent, every organisation is. However they seem the most united they have in a long time although there is still progress to be made. 

23 minutes ago, lost said:

I think Germany will crack this winter and try to get the rest of the west to agree to the carving up of Ukraine.

Maybe they will do a deal to stop some sanctions if Russia switches on the taps and allows food exports etc...but not a specific deal on Ukraine and west will continue to supply arms to Ukraine. Not sure if that could be done...

so...seeing as there's a good chance that labour will just fight with itself, something they're very good at, whereas tories are so good at masking divisions and winning elections...the choice for next PM for the forseeable is probably either Sunak or Truss...and I am starting to lean more towards preferring Truss as PM...she may be a bit mad and erratic, and we'll likely see brexit bollocks and culture wars bubbling away to keep the base happy, and union/worker/human rights will be further diminished and public services will be further starved of much needed funding...but at least I won't have to pay so much tax.

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so...seeing as there's a good chance that labour will just fight with itself, something they're very good at, whereas tories are so good at masking divisions and winning elections...the choice for next PM for the forseeable is probably either Sunak or Truss...and I am starting to lean more towards preferring Truss as PM...she may be a bit mad and erratic, and we'll likely see brexit bollocks and culture wars bubbling away to keep the base happy, and union/worker/human rights will be further diminished and public services will be further starved of much needed funding...but at least I won't have to pay so much tax.

Are Labour really fighting with itself? There are always disagreement but it doesn't feel like the Corbyn years. The PLP is pretty united and while those looking for a fight can be noisy (and tweet a lot) I am not convinced they are making much impact.