news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

"EXCLUSIVE:

Nadine Dorries and Jacob Rees-Mogg are expected to endorse Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, for PM tomorrow

They're planning to make a joint announcement - two of biggest Boris Johnson loyalists backing Truss

James Cleverly also endorses Truss in tomorrow's Times

He says she has shown leadership as foreign secretary and has experience to deal with cost of living crisis

He suggests Sunak was like a 'labour' chancellor & accuses him of plotting to bring down PM"

I'd think it'll be sunak vs Truss based on this

risky...Sunak bit more popular than Truss with members according to that Conservative Home survey.

40 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

bit pointless. Everyone has moved on and concentrating on leadership election.

It’s not pointless at all. We have a corrupt PM in office and Labour are trying to get him out. If the Tories want to back him then that’s on them. 

3 hours ago, lost said:

I seem to remember school fee's are one of the biggest price rises over the last 20 years. Mainly due to globalisation and the attractiveness of British schools.

Guy who lives next to me is a recent immigrant from Hong Kong and he pays for his kid to goto the local Grammar. There are definitely sacrifices in other areas gong on (probably got the oldest car on the estate) recent immigrants really seem to prioritise education*’

Prioritise getting grades and getting access*. These people are not educated in anything of value. Rishi Sunak is an idiot.

And the true price of that, is not just the $, but also the high likelihood that your kid ends up a complete c**t.

Depends whats important to you but I’d go out on a limb and say that Rishi Sunak’s dad is probs also a c**t.

27 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s not pointless at all. We have a corrupt PM in office and Labour are trying to get him out. If the Tories want to back him then that’s on them. 

a gift for the tories, who'll claim that labour knifed spaffer.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

They will be if the do it.  Its only going to hurt them.  The public don't like this sort of opportunism.   Bit thick from Labour.

Oh I don't agree....

Boris is a busted flush with the public after party gate and all the corruption. Link the Tories with Corrupt Boris one more time

No one actually believes Boris is sorry or sincere. Stick the knife in more.

Like they aren't getting rid of Johnson over a specific policy. They are because he's a corrupt liar who isn't fit to be Prime minister. Why should he still be in charge until September?

Edited by zahidf

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Well he shouldn't but that doesn't change the realities of how politics plays out in this country.

They will just say there is a process - Labour are just putting self interest ahead of stability and order blah blah blah...

Most the country will only pay mild attention having already moved on and will just see the headline of Labour rocks the boat - and the ones really paying attention will be emboldened to why the didn't trust Starmer anyway...

There is nothing to be won here

I don't really think they'll be any member of the public willing to give the tories the benefit of the doubt here, except the dwindling number of Boris fans.the last poll I saw had the public wanting Boris to go immediately. By a large margin 

7 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Prioritise getting grades and getting access*. These people are not educated in anything of value. Rishi Sunak is an idiot.

And the true price of that, is not just the $, but also the high likelihood that your kid ends up a complete c**t.

Depends whats important to you but I’d go out on a limb and say that Rishi Sunak’s dad is probs also a c**t.

I don't know...he was an immigrant who had money and wanted best for his kid. not sure that makes him a c**t. And I don't know if private education necessarily turns people into c**ts, but it definitely seems to make success easier...look at how many at the top in politics, science and culture who were privately educated. It's the schools like Eton, and Boris and his bullingdom chums, that seems to give them a sense of entitlement and confidence, and just an easier route to the top. I really think that there should be no private education if we ever are going to try and get rid of some of the inequalities in this country. If only labour under Eden had done it in the 40s, what a different country we would be in.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Neil said:

a gift for the tories, who'll claim that labour knifed spaffer.

It’s not a gift for them at all. It’s Labour trying to force out a corrupt and deeply unpopular Prime Minister.

This is the only way forward as the Tories are unable or unwilling to act quicker.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s not a gift for them at all. It’s Labour trying to force out a corrupt and deeply unpopular Prime Minister.

This is the only way forward as the Tories are unable or unwilling to act quicker.

Reckon it will hardly register with the public - just a bit of attention seeking.  The focus is now on the process of the leadership election, when those of the public who give a toss, will want to find out a bit more about the candidates.  Boris is going, he's irrelevant to them now.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

forcing out an elected official has an element of anti-democracy to it, and can be used to tarnish an opponent.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know...he was an immigrant who had money and wanted best for his kid. not sure that makes him a c**t. And I don't know if private education necessarily turns people into c**ts, but it definitely seems to make success easier...look at how many at the top in politics, science and culture who were privately educated. It's the schools like Eton, and Boris and his bullingdom chums, that seems to give them a sense of entitlement and confidence, and just an easier route to the top. I really think that there should be no private education if we ever are going to try and get rid of some of the inequalities in this country. If only labour under Eden had done it in the 40s, what a different country we would be in.

Private school is an interesting one - I'm privately educated (granted in Newcastle), it gave me a good education. I got decent, but not superstar grades.  I went to a good uni, scraped a Desmond in maths. Ended up in accountancy on a good salary.  I've no idea what difference there'd have been if my folks hadn't sent me privately, but I'd like to think I'd still do pretty well.  It may be different at the Etons, Winchesters, etc, but it's not an old boys network of legs up, internships, etc - we just apply for jobs.  A lot of my mates have done well for themselves too.  It's likely that it just boosted our grades up a notch or too, possibly getting us to a better uni than we'd have gone to.  Who knows.  

My folks didn't have flash jobs or anything - probably £40k between them.  But made sacrifices to pay the fees - which by today's standards weren't as high.  I'd like to send my son privately, but the fees are ridiculous.  Me and my partner are well off, but still can't afford it down here in Herts/Cambs.  Feels like a completely different level to afford private schools now.  I guess what I'm saying is that a politician in their 40's/50's who is privately educated isn't necessarily from that high an upbringing.

9 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

Reckon it will hardly register with the public - just a bit of attention seeking.  The focus is now on the process of the leadership election, when those of the public who give a toss, will want to find out a bit more about the candidates.  Boris is going, he's irrelevant to them now.

Nope, for the reasons I’ve outlined he needs to go now. 

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

forcing out an elected official has an element of anti-democracy to it, and can be used to tarnish an opponent.

So triggering another election through an approved mechanism in Parliament is ‘anti-democratic’? Ok then. We should just be happy with Tory members deciding our PM because that’s so much better. 

7 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

Private school is an interesting one - I'm privately educated (granted in Newcastle), it gave me a good education. I got decent, but not superstar grades.  I went to a good uni, scraped a Desmond in maths. Ended up in accountancy on a good salary.  I've no idea what difference there'd have been if my folks hadn't sent me privately, but I'd like to think I'd still do pretty well.  It may be different at the Etons, Winchesters, etc, but it's not an old boys network of legs up, internships, etc - we just apply for jobs.  A lot of my mates have done well for themselves too.  It's likely that it just boosted our grades up a notch or too, possibly getting us to a better uni than we'd have gone to.  Who knows.  

My folks didn't have flash jobs or anything - probably £40k between them.  But made sacrifices to pay the fees - which by today's standards weren't as high.  I'd like to send my son privately, but the fees are ridiculous.  Me and my partner are well off, but still can't afford it down here in Herts/Cambs.  Feels like a completely different level to afford private schools now.  I guess what I'm saying is that a politician in their 40's/50's who is privately educated isn't necessarily from that high an upbringing.

yeah, all different levels I guess.

Also...I don't really blame ethnic minorities sending their kids to private schools if they can afford it, try and balance against any bias against them. But, I think private schools should be abolished as a principle.

40 minutes ago, Neil said:

Hes still an MP. The Tory MPS are forcing him out as leader because hes as popular as smallpox and is constantly lying. There is zero justification for him staying until Sept when the Tory MPs have said that he is a scumbag who shouldn't be PM. Why should the country suffer cos of the Tories internal procedures?

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Hes still an MP. The Tory MPS are forcing him out as leader because hes as popular as smallpox and is constantly lying. There is zero justification for him staying until Sept when the Tory MPs have said that he is a scumbag who shouldn't be PM. Why should the country suffer cos of the Tories internal procedures?

i know tory mps are forcing him out, but its easy to spin that to be labour.