news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, BobWillis2 said:

Lockdown 😆 come on Neil be serious. 

i am serious, if the in-hospital numbers double-again, we're fucked for a health service.

Just now, Neil said:

i am serious, if the in-hospital numbers double-again, we're fucked for a health service.

The NHS hasn’t even begun to get over the last lockdown and the backlog. We can’t even contemplate another.  

Finally got a hospital appointment for my child after waiting 3 months for a referral, it’s been booked for October 2023 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

2 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

The NHS hasn’t even begun to get over the last lockdown and the backlog. We can’t even contemplate another.  

hospitals are coming on quite well (gp's less well), but this latest surge of covid risks  screwing that.

Edited by Neil

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

hospitals are coming on quite well (gp's less well), but this latest surge of covid risks  screwing that.

yeah...some confusion from Bob there...lockdowns are there to help NHS, not make backlog worse.

But...how high is hospitalisations from covid at moment? I guess maybe a lot of people in hospitals have covid, but how many are there because of covid? I guess gets complicated if still trying to isolate people with covid to prevent it spreading.

27 minutes ago, Neil said:

higher than expected, i think.

I just can't see it being possible for Johnson to bring back any restrictions, let alone a lockdown. His backbenchers and cabinet wouldn't allow it. The economy is already fucked as it is. We are entering summer, surely hospitals should cope even if it does mean more non urgent stuff is postponed. Maybe masks is a possibility I guess, but...nah, not happening. Some people will likely be more careful if in the news more. This wave will probably be past it's peak in a few weeks anyway.

Yeah can't see any restrictions personally. Are the figures worse than they were when Omicron first burst onto the scene? It would be absolute political suicide surely for Boris to implement restrictions again given everything that is going on, not least Partygate which seems to have come to an end and completely obliterated any authority behind restrictions anyway!

Changed my mind.

Will vote Green myself as in a Labour safe seat.

But the dismantling of the natural conservation areas in favour of developers is the final straw for me.

As bad and corrupt as Labour are, the tories ARE worse.

Vote tactically folks. #GTTO

Not too much. Still very much vital to get a hung parliament. But still.

Also rumours Starmer is about to get a fine and resign.

Streeting would be worse, he might win a majority and then his rule would be more right wing. Starmer in!

52 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Changed my mind.

Will vote Green myself as in a Labour safe seat.

But the dismantling of the natural conservation areas in favour of developers is the final straw for me.

As bad and corrupt as Labour are, the tories ARE worse.

Vote tactically folks. #GTTO

Not too much. Still very much vital to get a hung parliament. But still.

Also rumours Starmer is about to get a fine and resign.

Streeting would be worse, he might win a majority and then his rule would be more right wing. Starmer in!

HAHAHA

Why do people think Wes Streeting though? I remember the leadership debates, Starmer was the only one to say he wasn't a zionist and that he'd carry on Corbyns policy. He knew exactly what to say with the makeup of the labour membership. Have the momentum lot left the labour party as I can't see them voting for Streeting?

53 minutes ago, lost said:

Why do people think Wes Streeting though? I remember the leadership debates, Starmer was the only one to say he wasn't a zionist and that he'd carry on Corbyns policy. He knew exactly what to say with the makeup of the labour membership. Have the momentum lot left the labour party as I can't see them voting for Streeting?

Long Bailey said she was a zionist?!

I don't remember that part of the debate.

1 hour ago, lost said:

anyway, I think a lot of corbyn supporters and momentum people have left the labour party...and there isn't really a credible candidate on left at moment to get behind anyway. Personally I'm not sure about Streeting..he seems more idelogical than Starmer, and is definitely on the right of the party...and another hate figure for the corbyn crew because he wasn't loyal to their man. He seems good at media stuff though, good in interviews, not scared to have an argument, more assured than Starmer, but is likely to be hated even more on the left. It's probably between him, Reeves, Nandy and Rayner.

Edited by steviewevie

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

https://www.workersliberty.org/story/2020-02-19/rebecca-long-bailey-says-shes-zionist

At a hustings organised by the Jewish Labour Movement (JLM) on 13 February, Labour leadership candidates were asked if they were a “Zionist”. Three of the four said they were; Keir Starmer said that he wasn’t, but was “supportive” of and sympathetic to Zionism.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

any issue here, is down to differing views of what zionism is? at the most simple level its the right of Israel to exist.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

HAHAHA

I have buyers remorse. Starmer has been woeful, and I’ve enjoyed it because he’s a lying authoritarian toerag, so I’ve been quite happy to see him fail. But now he’s failing a bit too much and I’m getting worried he’s really fucked it.