news & politics:discussion

zahidf

I see Michael Fabricant is moaning that Starmer sent his police questionnaire in later so he wouldn’t risk a fine in the build up to the by-elections. I note he didn’t seem to mind when many in No 10 didn’t even hand theirs in. Shocker. 

I see Mick Lynch has been getting lots of plaudits. Shows how being straight forward and authentic helps, especially when compared with Johnson's waffly bulshit and Starmer's meaningless blandness. He sounds like a real person, real for someone from some place called London anyway.  Also, unlike Starmer/Corbyn/Miliband he doesn't look terrifed when stuck infront of a camera and asked difficult questions, maybe it's because he actually believes in what he is saying and doesn't have party PR people rehearsing the soul out of him.

• Upvote 1

On 6/29/2022 at 9:15 AM, steviewevie said:

Also, unlike Starmer/Corbyn/Miliband he doesn't look terrifed when stuck infront of a camera and asked difficult questions, maybe it's because he actually believes in what he is saying and doesn't have party PR people rehearsing the soul out of him.

I'm not sure its necessarily that. Len McCluskey believed what he said, but while he could give a good interview, I don't think he ever persuaded anyone who disagreed with him.

39 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not sure its necessarily that. Len McCluskey believed what he said, but while he could give a good interview, I don't think he ever persuaded anyone who disagreed with him.

Yeah, I don't know..maybe it's all union leaders, they are good at debating and arguing their points, but not from oxbridge debating societies which is what we hear constantly in westminster, but from the shop floor, and we don't hear so much of that stuff anymore, but maybe we will a bit more this summer and beyond. Bob Crow was similar to Lynch, McCluskey was all too wound up in internal labour politics.

Plus, at momemt maybe a lot of people are broadly supportive of the rail strikes...and will be until it impacts them more. If teachers or health care workers striked maybe there would be less support?

Anyone go to any of the debates at LeftField or Speakers Forum this year?

I made it to the 'State of the Nation: Politics in Crisis with Andy Burnham, Francis Foley, Mete Coban, Shaista Aziz, John Harris'. Burnham swears that he'll finish his second term as Mayor. He set out his big three priorities for changing politics: PR, reform of the Lords to an elected senate and max devolution for regions. The panel were in agreement about the need for PR to break up the two monolith parties (they were both described as dysfunctional due to FPTP), it was refreshing to hear it come out of his mouth...although he doubled down on no electoral pact to achieve a majority in the next election.

Thought John Harris did a good job of chairing the debate, he seemed on top of it, kept it moving.

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, I don't know..maybe it's all union leaders, they are good at debating and arguing their points, but not from oxbridge debating societies which is what we hear constantly in westminster, but from the shop floor, and we don't hear so much of that stuff anymore, but maybe we will a bit more this summer and beyond. Bob Crow was similar to Lynch, McCluskey was all too wound up in internal labour politics.

Plus, at momemt maybe a lot of people are broadly supportive of the rail strikes...and will be until it impacts them more. If teachers or health care workers striked maybe there would be less support?

Mick Lynch has done well but he’s no Keir Starmer 😝

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Anyone go to any of the debates at LeftField or Speakers Forum this year?

I made it to the 'State of the Nation: Politics in Crisis with Andy Burnham, Francis Foley, Mete Coban, Shaista Aziz, John Harris'. Burnham swears that he'll finish his second term as Mayor. He set out his big three priorities for changing politics: PR, reform of the Lords to an elected senate and max devolution for regions. The panel were in agreement about the need for PR to break up the two monolith parties (they were both described as dysfunctional due to FPTP), it was refreshing to hear it come out of his mouth...although he doubled down on no electoral pact to achieve a majority in the next election.

Thought John Harris did a good job of chairing the debate, he seemed on top of it, kept it moving.

I only saw the one which had Chris Packham and some others talking about autism. Found it very emotional actually.

Was there a lot of love for Burnham. I wonder how popular his plans for PR would be within labour?

Just now, steviewevie said:

his plans for PR would be within labo

does he have some fully formed plans, for bigger electoral reform, needs to be a full package to be worth supporting.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

does he have some fully formed plans, for bigger electoral reform, needs to be a full package to be worth supporting.

early days...he isn't even an MP...I guess they would come out more in any future leadership election...

Edited by steviewevie