news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

The governor of the BOE doesn't want pay restraint for himself.

No that's the way it works. We all want a pay rise but also want our wage to buy as much as possible. Its pointless if you end up with your salary end up buying the same or less.

They have a tool,  and they are going to use it. In the same way when they inject money into the economy they have no control where its going to end up, when they need to suck money out of the economy they have no control where its going to come from. They probably believe in the long run there is more pain for the poorest if interest rates need to go much higher from an inflation wage rise/price hike spiral due to the deeper recession/house price crash that would cause but yes its probably going to fall on deaf ears. We will all be pushing for at least inflation at our next pay rise because we all expect our current standard of living as a bare minimum.

Edited by lost

8 hours ago, lost said:

Because there are more of us and very few of them. , a ceo isn't going to start consuming 6 million calories a day or driving to work in 1000 cars hence they are not going to affect consumption in the same way, 

But it’s never on the bosses or the corporations (blue chip firms). Bosses continue to get pay rises and big bonuses whilst us plebs get told to take pay cuts. If it seemed like we all had to do this then it wouldn’t be as annoying. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

But it’s never on the bosses or the corporations (blue chip firms). Bosses continue to get pay rises and big bonuses whilst us plebs get told to take pay cuts. If it seemed like we all had to do this then it wouldn’t be as annoying. 

Buried in todays inflation figures was producer price inflation and thats at 22%. That's basically the cost that they have to pass onto people that they are worried about. The people that make the stuff or provide the service are sadly the biggest constituent of that.

Edited by lost

5 minutes ago, lost said:

No that's the way it works.

Yes it is

We all want a pay rise but also want our wage to buy as much as possible.

yeah, and world peace and an end to hunger.

Its pointless if you end up with your salary end up buying the same or less.

So workers should be happy with pay rises well below inflation which will mean they can buy less, because demanding pay rises in line with inflation (which will mean they can continue to buy what they currently buy) might mean they might be able to buy less in the future.

5 minutes ago, LJS said:

So workers should be happy with pay rises well below inflation which will mean they can buy less, because demanding pay rises in line with inflation (which will mean they can continue to buy what they currently buy) might mean they might be able to buy less in the future.

No I've already said its too late and the BOE is miles behind the curve. We all simply need to buckle up now and yes each of us will fight to keep our standard of living all the way up.

What will the neighbours think if the see a Skoda parked on the drive when you've had a BMW there the last 10 years?

That's why the BOE will probably feel it needs to cause a recession now. Not having a job significantly reduces your chances of demanding a higher wage and you'll suddenly take anything out there.

Edited by lost

3 minutes ago, lost said:

No I've already said its too late and the BOE is miles behind the curve. We all simply need to buckle up now and yes each of us will fight to keep our standard of living all the way up.

What will the neighbours think if the see a Skoda parked on the drive when you've had a BMW there the last 10 years?

I don't have a drive. I don't have a car & I don't give a fuck what the neighbours think.

I also don't much care about me - I'm all right. But loads of folk aren't & telling them to "buckle up" is frankly insulting

3 minutes ago, LJS said:

I don't have a drive. I don't have a car & I don't give a fuck what the neighbours think.

I also don't much care about me - I'm all right. But loads of folk aren't & telling them to "buckle up" is frankly insulting

I was using it as an example that its going to be rooted all the way up not just with the poorest. As I said it maybe insulting but the BOE sees it as the least worst option because I said their other option to reduce wage expectations is effectively to put people out of work via a recession.

Edited by lost

32 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So you don't create connections between the people selling you a dream, that persons creditability and then how much you fall for that mis-sold dream ?  Yet you call out the likes of Boris ? 

Strange...

I vote for ideas and policies not personalities. & I don't fall for your skewed interpretation of history, Barry.

...and I don't fall for Boris. Unlike millions of folk in your neck of the woods

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Its like taking advice and ideas from Jack the Ripper on street safety...

nicely dodged

Tiverton is an achievement. Wakefield was basically ground zero for the miners strike but you do see alot of help for hero's hoodies about town so basically any labour leader who hasn't been laying wreaths for terrorists should be looking at it as a bare minimum. Plus I've mentioned before the last administration seemed more interested in the Blairites losing their seats than actually beating the conservatives.

Edited by lost

38 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Very sad day for women rights in the USA

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61928898

Unfortunately RBG didn't protect her legacy by standing aside, this wouldn't have happened if she had. However it's a ridiculous system where such big ruling are determined by whether someone lives or dies.

Of course this will mainly discriminate against the poor as those in the middle (and above) will just hop on a plane. Hopefully the Dems can use it to get votes and try and change things.