news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

What would be the response from the SNP group if it was a tory or pro Salmond MP?

sex pestery is approved of by salmond 😛

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

Setting aside the slight surprise that this week has been termed a success, I would be very surprised if a government whose poll performance has been dreadful all year would go along with this. Especially if they lost both by-elections coming up this week.

Got to factor in the reasoning that if they have a shit time in the by elections, and Bozza thinks he's stuffed anyway and under inescapable threat from his own backbenchers and other factors such as enquiries, he might just call one to spite his own party as a last parting shot. Remember, he only cares about himself. What I don't know is whether Johnson has sole unilateral authority as PM to call a GE or whether it's a cabinet decision. Cabinet might be more wary but a Johnson facing defeat is far more unpredictable.

5 hours ago, Copperface said:

Got to factor in the reasoning that if they have a shit time in the by elections, and Bozza thinks he's stuffed anyway and under inescapable threat from his own backbenchers and other factors such as enquiries, he might just call one to spite his own party as a last parting shot. Remember, he only cares about himself. What I don't know is whether Johnson has sole unilateral authority as PM to call a GE or whether it's a cabinet decision. Cabinet might be more wary but a Johnson facing defeat is far more unpredictable.

It has to be voted on in Parliament doesn't it? I find it hard to believe myself. U never know of course.

Since repeal of the FTPA it's apparently solely down to the PM to request dissolution of Parliament and a new election from HMQ. 

Maybe not likely but not impossible. 

Bozza  could call an election in the knowledge that if he wins he'll be in a far stronger position and if he loses then he's lost nothing. 

11 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Since repeal of the FTPA it's apparently solely down to the PM to request dissolution of Parliament and a new election from HMQ. 

Maybe not likely but not impossible. 

Bozza  could call an election in the knowledge that if he wins he'll be in a far stronger position and if he loses then he's lost nothing. 

That’s been my thought all along. 

8 hours ago, Ozanne said:

This whole thing is very strange. 

The story in question, while it’s a resigning matter for anyone else, is very typical of Spaffers behaviour so wouldn’t alter peoples perception of him. They already know he’s a lying cheat who uses taxpayers money to fund his mistresses. 

The part that could come back to bite him is if it is shown that he is putting personal pressure on the media not to publish articles that show him in a bad light. 

He is definitely starting to lose the backing of the right wing media. 

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

The story in question, while it’s a resigning matter for anyone else, is very typical of Spaffers behaviour so wouldn’t alter peoples perception of him. They already know he’s a lying cheat who uses taxpayers money to fund his mistresses. 

The part that could come back to bite him is if it is shown that he is putting personal pressure on the media not to publish articles that show him in a bad light. 

He is definitely starting to lose the backing of the right wing media. 

Oh yeah it is. It’s really odd that they just pulled the story with no explanation. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Oh yeah it is. It’s really odd that they just pulled the story with no explanation.

I've not been reading/listening to the media much the last couple of days so don't know if it's been discussed, but is it just pressure from team Johnson (unlikely) or is there some sort of a super injunction involved? If the latter then it would have been the same for a labour guy.

It'll all come pouring out later on anyway, it's Johnson after all and there will be a 1000 other stories like this.

I had to laugh when I heard this as it was mentioned close to the story about EasyJet cancelling flights. If the airports can't even run a full schedule WITH access to agency workers then how is that going to work with the rail!

Also doesn't sit well for the govt given it's not long since their mock outrage when P&O did similar.

Govt is such an effing shambles. Don't know about you lot, but the country feels like it's disappearing down a post-brexit toilet at a fast rate of knots at the moment. I've not got much of an international perspective; there used to be someone on this thread from Sweden - we're constantly given the BS that it's a post-covid/Russian war thing (obviously true to some extent), but are other countries as world beatingly awful as us?

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2022 at 10:01 AM, pink_triangle said:

What would be the response from the SNP group if it was a tory or pro Salmond MP?

outrage of course. All politicians are outraged at the misdemeanours of their opponents 

On 6/18/2022 at 10:05 AM, Neil said:

sex pestery is approved of by salmond

You need to realise how irrelevant Salmond is now in Scotland. I know you love to have a pantomime villain but he really is of now relevance to current politics.

1 minute ago, LJS said:

outrage of course. All politicians are outraged at the misdemeanours of their opponents 

You need to realise how irrelevant Salmond is now in Scotland. I know you love to have a pantomime villain but he really is of now relevance to current politics.

You're not planning on dragging out and dusting off his white paper then...? 

2 hours ago, LJS said:

I think this kind of conduct you are outraged whatever their political persuasion. I don't understand the concept of giving out free passes because they are on your side. You can't preach no tolerance to some and not others.

Lib dem's posted a tweet saying the Tories and Unions are as bad as each other then had to very quickly delete it after a torrent of abuse 😆

16 minutes ago, lost said:

Lib dem's posted a tweet saying the Tories and Unions are as bad as each other then had to very quickly delete it after a torrent of abuse 😆

😂 I know the political balance is trying to stick to a middle line, but pissing both sides of the argument isn't quite what they meant.

It's interesting when you read some of the measures that the RMT are rejecting, aside from the pay issue.  All the advances in technology which could see safety improved, albeit at the cost of jobs.  But given that ~20% of commuters aren't going back to commuting, post pandemic - that gap in funding has to come from somewhere and lowering costs seems like a more efficient way.

You've got the BOE arguing people shouldn't ask for big rises as it will lead to even higher interest rates in the future but equally does anyone have any faith that they'll bring inflation under control? They've been completely wrong over the last 12 months regarding it being "transitory"

It’s always us people at the lower to middle end that have to take the stick though. It’s never the big bosses or corporations who continue to earn massive amount of money/profit and will see their earnings rise. Why is it always us that get told to tighten out belts and never them?

Because there are more of us and very few of them. , a ceo isn't going to start consuming 6 million calories a day or driving to work in 1000 cars hence they are not going to affect consumption in the same way, 

On 6/20/2022 at 11:57 PM, Barry Fish said:

The poster boy of independence is now irrelevant 🙂 

correct

On 6/20/2022 at 11:57 PM, Barry Fish said:

You wouldn't have your daily wet dream over independence if it wasn't the sex offender you once idolised 🙂 

I think "idolised" is an overstatement Barry.

I used to quite like Rolf Harris. I've changed my mind about that but that doesn't mean I support the mistreatment of pet dogs & cats

8 hours ago, lost said:

You've got the BOE arguing people shouldn't ask for big rises as it will lead to even higher interest rates in the future but equally does anyone have any faith that they'll bring inflation under control? They've been completely wrong over the last 12 months regarding it being "transitory"

The governor of the BOE doesn't want pay restraint for himself.