news & politics:discussion

zahidf

22 hours ago, Ozanne said:

So today we’ve seen the Conservatives break yet another manifesto promise by looking to renegotiate the Protocol. They really are awful. 

awful by default, no need to comment about daily goings on.

Whether he achieves it or not Johnson wants to appease a significant portion of his base who will applaud sending a load of asylum seekers to a country full of black people.

However the same people who cheer about Britain pulling out of the ECHR should be cautious about  any attempts to erode our rights. There are wealthy tory donors who would love to see erosion of wages, maternity pay, sick pay, holiday pay etc.

55 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Whether he achieves it or not Johnson wants to appease a significant portion of his base who will applaud sending a load of asylum seekers to a country full of black people.

However the same people who cheer about Britain pulling out of the ECHR should be cautious about  any attempts to erode our rights. There are wealthy tory donors who would love to see erosion of wages, maternity pay, sick pay, holiday pay etc.

That’s always been the thing hasn’t it, the people most likely impacted in time by these things are at the moment the base of support. 

Seems to be going on everywhere. Joe Biden appears to be signing a similar deal with Spain:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1624018/joe-biden-immigration-spain-honduras-summit-of-americas-us-politics-latest

I seem to remember it started with Aussie's they had some success and then it spread to other countries.. Israel etc..

Think it is quite embarrassing Starmer has to resort to Love Island and Star Wars references to try and get some cut-through. He can't really win I don't think either. Symptomatic of the society/political circus in which we live, sadly. 

18 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Think it is quite embarrassing Starmer has to resort to Love Island and Star Wars references to try and get some cut-through. He can't really win I don't think either. Symptomatic of the society/political circus in which we live, sadly. 

he's trying to get a headline in a newspaper somewhere I guess...like Johnson did with Sir Beer Korma.

40 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Yea quite. He’s damned either way, it’s the curse of the Labour leader. 

56 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ffs. sorry...but this being scared of upsetting a certain type of voter thing is kind of pathetic.

This is appalling. What exactly does he stand for if not being against that. He’s Labour leader ffs. That is indefensible (unless you’re ozanne of course)