news & politics:discussion

zahidf

9 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Given this is straight after a Tory MP called for the UK to rejoin the EU single market, this independence thing isn't exactly starting off well. And not least given Rees-Mogg's suggestion of "Brexit benefits" last week appears to have gone down like a lead balloon.

Saying that, what's to stop such a minded government decided to try and join the EFTA? Or would that be quite complex at this point?

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

What's kinda strange is that some Tory donors are apparently running around with declarations of the reverse - that is, deposing Boris Johnson now means losing the next election, compared to this saying that keeping Boris Johnson guarantees losing the next election.

Unless it's a false choice and, like the Tories in 1997 or Labour in 2010, the challenge really isn't in favour of the long-term incumbents.

BREAKING: Tory rebels expect Sir Graham Brady to make a statement this morning announcing that there will be a vote of no confidence in Boris Johnson.

Only Brady knows the exact details, but this is as certain as anyone has sounded that a vote is on.

1 minute ago, ian the worm said:

VONC vote 6pm-8pm tonight. 

Tory killjoys. I was looking forward to lots of media hysteria and speculation for days more yet.

Wonder if the quick vote works for or against Johnson?

Interesting that the bribery options over the weekend backfired:

23 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Tory killjoys. I was looking forward to lots of media hysteria and speculation for days more yet.

Wonder if the quick vote works for or against Johnson?

Interesting that the bribery options over the weekend backfired:

No 10 chose the vote to be today so the hope is that there won’t be much time for the rebels to organise. 

20 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, but if confidence is before byelection he'll likely win and stay in place forever.

yeah, i agree, its too early.

If he wins this then the public outrage ensures massive landslide defeats in the by-elections. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if that triggers more defections within the party. The average Tory MP are rats and will soon switch sides if things aren’t going their way. 

they've probably fucked it...should have waited a bit longer until after probable disastrous byelection results. I expect Johnson to win fairly comfortably tonight. Problem with these MPs putting letters in as there doesn't seem to be any coordinated move, they're from all corners of the party.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they've probably fucked it...should have waited a bit longer until after probable disastrous byelection results. I expect Johnson to win fairly comfortably tonight. Problem with these MPs putting letters in as there doesn't seem to be any coordinated move, they're from all corners of the party.

good summary, the vonc is too early, and there needs to be a challenger to replace him.

1 minute ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Imagine if he survives only for the cross party inquiry to find he did lie to parliament. Tbh I’m just enjoying his name being further dragged through the mud.

Could be a potential constitutional crises if he then faces a recall petition. 

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

we can have a bet on how many will vote against...

radio 4 just pointed out the real problem was tory mps putting him in a role he's unsuitable for, his fuckups were fully expected.

Edited by Neil

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

radio 4 just pointed out the real problem was tory mps putting him in a role he's unsuitable for, his fuckups were fully expected.

yeah, they took a gamble on him because they knew he was the best candidate to get brexit done and win an election, and he did deliver both for them...trouble is what came after...