news & politics:discussion

zahidf

17 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Remember Ukraine? After a bad few weeks for them Russia seems to be making gains in Donbas...and I guess eventually they will want to hold onto the whole region if any proper negotiations start to end the war...which Ukraine might not be willing to do...so it will just go on and on...stalemate and forever war and global food shortages and all that comes from that.

It's so grim isn't it? And no one ever talks about it any more, it just rumbles in the background (me included). 

29 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's so grim isn't it? And no one ever talks about it any more, it just rumbles in the background (me included). 

and I guess that is what Putin wants...west gets bored, and divided on sanctions and providing weapons and how war should end.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That's really funny. The whips are losing it if the very first thing she does is diss the leader. Very very funny.

I don't often see eye to eye with Baz, but I've also found it curious that Johnson never nipped the whole affair in the bud by calling an early VONC: he'd of won comfortably (no organised coup in place, still isn't) and it would have been very difficult for a new head of steam to have then built up.

Clear from the radio this morning that a rump of MPs are pushing the can down the road again waiting for the by-election results. If Johnson loses both of them then it'll be squeaky bum time for him, if he only loses one or wins both by a slender majority then I guess he's probably safe until the autumn?

3 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Someone in the thread talks about how given HoC is in recess, if they hit 54 letters Brady won't be telling Johnson until after the recess.

Just watch Johnson call a general election straight after recess. 

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Just watch Johnson call a general election straight after recess. 

Right when the general public is super pissed off with the Tories?

They will delay as much as possible. I don’t see any more letters coming in until after the inevitable kicking at the By Elections

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Right when the general public is super pissed off with the Tories?

They will delay as much as possible. I don’t see any more letters coming in until after the inevitable kicking at the By Elections

Yep. He’ll want to call their bluff and is so arrogant to think he’ll win. By November we’ll have a general election. 

Edited by Ozanne

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yep. He’ll want to call their bluff and is so arrogant to think he’ll win. By November we’ll have a general election. 

If he wins the by-elections then I suppose he might. Pretty suicidal as things currently stand.

Even if he wins then it'll deffo be with a much reduced majority making it very difficult for him to bluster his way around the way he does now.

...and there's a good chance the tories could scrape a win but with Johnson losing his seat. I can even see a kind of Martin Bell type standing against him as an independent on a respect for the NHS platform or such like, where both Labour and Lib Dems drop out to give a clear run. Delicious prospect.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Unless polls improve no way he'll call an election. Maybe he'll use it as a threat if a confidence vote or something...but you don't call an election where you're 5 to 10 points behind.

Johnson is arrogant though, he’ll probably think he can win it. 

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Do Scottish nationalists feel betrayed by labour?

Labour have decided to go into coalition with the tories in Edinburgh council. I think the article is rather that Labour voters should feel betrayed by that. It is pretty incredible really when you think about it. Scottish Labour feel like the interests of the citizens in the towns they hold sway in are better served by making deals with tories than with the SNP. Its pitiful.