news & politics:discussion

zahidf

With everyone that will go on today remember this, the most important thing to Tories is to let Johnson off, they don’t care about us or about what’s right, they just care about getting this one man off the hook. 

Edited by Ozanne

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

With everyone that will go on today remember this, the most important thing to Tories is to let Johnson off, they don’t care about us or about what’s right, they just care about getting this one man off the hook. 

ultimately they care about who can win them the next election so they keep their seats...and somehow many still think that person is Johnson.

The extract which caught my attention particularly was about how Sue Gray decided it would not be appropriate or proportionate to investigate further the party in the Downing Street flat, the so-called "ABBA party". I wonder who helped her come to that decision in the meeting that happened by chance and that no one knows who organised!

And this is how they've got away with it, the Met really helped them out:

The information collected on this gathering is limited as the process of obtaining
evidence had only just been commenced when the Metropolitan Police announced
their own investigations, which included events on the 13 November 2020. At this
point I stopped my investigation, given the need to avoid any prejudice to the police
investigation.
Following the Metropolitan Police announcement on 19 May 2022 I
considered whether or not to conduct any further investigation into this event but
concluded it was not appropriate or proportionate to do so.

3 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

The extract which caught my attention particularly was about how Sue Gray decided it would not be appropriate or proportionate to investigate further the party in the Downing Street flat, the so-called "ABBA party". I wonder who helped her come to that decision in the meeting that happened by chance and that no one knows who organised!

did police investigate it and not issue any fines?

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

did police investigate it and not issue any fines?

Extract helpfully shared by Kurosagi after my post - they did not issue any fines and then Sue Gray miraculously decided not to investigate further the event in which Boris was most closely implicated/associated with. 

Clear from PMQs that Keir Starmer feels restrained given the Durham police investigation over his head - shame that he has been rendered quite toothless now.

This for me is what 'normal' leaders would have resigned over:

3. I have already commented in my update on what I found to be failures of
leadership and judgment in No 10 and the Cabinet Office. The events that I
investigated were attended by leaders in government. Many of these events
should not have been allowed to happen
. It is also the case that some of the
more junior civil servants believed that their involvement in some of these
events was permitted given the attendance of senior leaders. The senior
leadership at the centre, both political and official, must bear responsibility for
this culture.

Johnson knew these frat parties were going on and it is disingenuous in the extreme for him to claim in HoC that all guidance was followed: he saw them happening, he knew it was wrong, he didn't once break any of them up. Conclusion: the rules don't apply to him.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The mood looks to be changing in the house. Everyone is laughing at Spaffer repeating the same lines as always. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an increase in letters calling for his head. 

Unsure about that, thought the opposite. All cheering at Johnson going off on one with a load of rubbish/provable lies culminating in "Vladimir Corbyn". PMQs and the conduct of MPs generally in these 'debates' is a disgrace.