news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Or Zahawi to try and sound authoritative?

Playing Devil’s advocate here but are these photos not that dissimilar to the ones of Starmer? That’s the Tories’ out - even though I think the rules were different at the relevant times?

Not really because the rules were completely different at the time, we were in full on lockdown in November whereas in April 2021 the rules in general were relaxed.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Not really because the rules were completely different at the time, we were in full on lockdown in November whereas in April 2021 the rules in general were relaxed.

one was a food break during a work event (allegedly), the other was a leaving party. 

But, I think main problem for Johnson is the denials and lies to parliament...aren't they supposed to be having an inquiry or something into that?

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m just trying to think like they would. They need a deflection or division tactic and throwing accusations at Starmer really appeals to their core base.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

one was a food break during a work event (allegedly), the other was a leaving party. 

But, I think main problem for Johnson is the denials and lies to parliament...aren't they supposed to be having an inquiry or something into that?

Yes, one was a party (illegal) and the other was food break during work (legal).

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

nah - given how much of an absolute gift to the opposition boris and his government have been, i think you can more take it as that starmer would even struggle to win a popularity contest vs his old mate jimmy savile.

the man couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo

The conservative PM just trounced in Australia was tied 42-42 in Preferred PM. It’s a poor metric to judge in a Westminster System where you vote for parties and local candidates. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

He won them a big majority...and there isn't a decent replacement..

There's plenty much better than him, he's woeful beyond belief but these people seem to think if Johnson isn't around then the world will end.

7 hours ago, Ozanne said:

There's plenty much better than him, he's woeful beyond belief but these people seem to think if Johnson isn't around then the world will end.

yeah, I know...just trying to see it from average tory MP point of view. He won them a big majority and got them a hard brexit, and maybe they think this is a midterm thing that will be forgotten about by next election, and also beergate maybe helps. But, polls seem pretty consistent, and maybe many will be thinking how long this can go on for, this and some bad decisions with cost of living could be it...with the likes of Baker plotting away in the background, who knows, maybe the end is nigh for boris.
Just have to see what is in this report, and how they spin it.