news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

He's thick, but he's not THAT thick! 😃

He might be tempted to call one before the cost of living crises gets worse.

55 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

looks like ill be paying my charity bet ..... hope you are recovered @Ozanne .... 

You never know but it looks like it at the moment. I'm feeling quite a bit better thanks, hope you are doing ok.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

He'd be mad to call one now. Not happening. They had their chance last autumn, now it will probably be 2024 or 2025.

Has to be 2024 really. Latest it can be is Jan 2025 and there obv won't be one in January. As you say, he's obviously not going to have one earlier than 2024, that would be utterly nonsensical.

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, if true. 

But surely the Met wouldn't have bungled this or been anyway corrupt, they have such a good track record after all.

Ho ho ho. Good one, I love a good morning joke.

7 hours ago, zahidf said:

Yup. One rule for us... 

We’ve all been made fools of. This is an epic swindle. 

So, this Sue Gray report...my default cynical side tells me to expect little more than a polite slap on the wrist for Johnson and then it'll all be brushed away.

But, what do others think? Is there any chance of something more substantial in the report that will push tory MPs into sending in their letters? After all, we were told time and time again by numerous MPs that they'll "wait for the report before making judgement".

I remember reading her brief summary when it came out (feels like years ago) and thinking that it used pretty damning language. If that report had come out first and quickly followed by the Met issuing a fine then no amount of operation Big Dog would have saved him. Exemplary work by his handlers unfortunately.

FFS:

"Mr Johnson is now also facing an inquiry by the cross-party Privileges Committee over allegations that he mislead Parliament after initially maintaining all rules has been followed inside No 10.

The Gray report may provide ammo for that inquiry, though Conservative critics who have contemplated moving against the prime minister may well now wait until the committee reaches a conclusion."

51 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

So, this Sue Gray report...my default cynical side tells me to expect little more than a polite slap on the wrist for Johnson and then it'll all be brushed away.

But, what do others think? Is there any chance of something more substantial in the report that will push tory MPs into sending in their letters? After all, we were told time and time again by numerous MPs that they'll "wait for the report before making judgement".

I remember reading her brief summary when it came out (feels like years ago) and thinking that it used pretty damning language. If that report had come out first and quickly followed by the Met issuing a fine then no amount of operation Big Dog would have saved him. Exemplary work by his handlers unfortunately.

I don't know...it will probably be pretty damning but not sure it will tell us anything we don't already know...?

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

Tory MPs will send in their letters if Johnson is an electoral liability and there is an obvious candidate to replace him...

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Tory MPs will send in their letters if Johnson is an electoral liability and there is an obvious candidate to replace him...

Depressing if true, looks like your cynicism is on a par with mine this morning.

People have a go at Starmer not taking advantage of a terrible mess of a govt, but I think it's more curious that no tory MP has made anything close to a run for power. I guess you could argue that Sunak was in the picture at the beginning of the year, but he bottled it and now his time has come and gone. But who else? Is the lack of an obvious organised push for dumping Johnson indicative of how successful his inner circle have been at suppressing it?

2 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

He'll use it as an excuse to pin the blame on civil servants & sack a few of them. 

2 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

Conservative critics who have contemplated moving against the prime minister may well now wait until the committee reaches a conclusion."

For once I don't blame Spaffer - I blame the cowardly, weasel MPs who were all set to ditch him a few months ago, but then backtracked, using a war thousands of miles away as an excuse!

32 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Depressing if true, looks like your cynicism is on a par with mine this morning.

People have a go at Starmer not taking advantage of a terrible mess of a govt, but I think it's more curious that no tory MP has made anything close to a run for power. I guess you could argue that Sunak was in the picture at the beginning of the year, but he bottled it and now his time has come and gone. But who else? Is the lack of an obvious organised push for dumping Johnson indicative of how successful his inner circle have been at suppressing it?

Yes I think team around Johnson have done a pretty good job at suppressing it..delay, distract etc, and now he can say he's fixed stuff in downing st and won't happen again. And now Sunak has lost his sheen there doesn't seem to be any stand out person who ticks all the boxes to lead this weird government.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Ozanne - you're based near Brighton aren't you? you might like this...

Fucking hell. I would rather shit in my hands and clap that have to sit through this centrist circlejerk

Imagining the blinding glare from such a foul congregation of baldy domes, the smug guffaws of tiny minds will echo over the pebbles and out to sea. Migrants will turn their kayaks 180 degrees - ’on second thoughts…’ 

26 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Fucking hell. I would rather shit in my hands and clap that have to sit through this centrist circlejerk

Imagining the blinding glare from such a foul congregation of baldy domes, the smug guffaws of tiny minds will echo over the pebbles and out to sea. Migrants will turn their kayaks 180 degrees - ’on second thoughts…’ 

it's funny on their latest podcast they talked about baldness because of that recent story of calling someone bald being sexual harrassment...and anyway Dunt and Lynskey were saying they get all these bald insults from the corbynite novaramedia goons on twitter...maybe cause they're all young and funky with loads of hair on their sweet little lefty heads.

Edited by steviewevie

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's funny on their latest podcast they talked about baldness because of that recent story of calling someone bald being sexual harrassment...and anyway Dunt and Lynskey were saying they get all these bald insults from the corbynite novaramedia goons on twitter...maybe cause they're all young and funky with loads of hair on their sweet little lefty heads.

Yeah clearly an age thing between the kids and grown ups. Nobody thinks they are going to go bald and yet most people do (saying that as a guy in my 40's with luckily a good hairline)

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

He'll use it as an excuse to pin the blame on civil servants & sack a few of them. 

A good chance of it.

He'll have to choose his sacrificial lambs carefully though otherwise there could be blowback. Despite it looking like partygate is all over, all sides know he's taking (has taken) the piss and it could just take one small spark to blow it up again. He's got to keep remembering to believe his own bullshit and liars tend to forget that.