news & politics:discussion

zahidf

30 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I missed the original story on the post it notes. It was referenced again later.

If it was JRM leaving them they would have probably been pen & quill written on parchment. 

You're right, quill on parchment would have been much better, he's let himself down:

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

a tory has switched to labour...is that it?

going to need a lot more of them if labour stand any chance of winning.

A tory candidate* has switched to Labour. We’ve had this discussion before about the MP who switched.

There is a big difference between attracting those who voted tory but have basically little understanding of politics, and somebody who has studied politics and is deeply enough embedded in it to be a tory candidate, and presumably holds convictions that are antithetical to those that the Labour party was founded to represent.. But you know that.

Lot of self denial amongst the soft left. Selling themselves out bit by bit in the name of ’winning’ and not even managing that. Sad.

+ that the goodwill afforded to those on the rightward margin of the ’big tent’ is not afforded to those on the leftward margin, which draws ever nearer the centre, tells you a lot about what the goals of those in charge actually are - ie not really forming a winning coalition but instead just shifting the Labour party to the right. Because they are as motivated by ideology, and not winning, as the previous regime. Just that now the ideology is centre right rather than left. Double sad.

50 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Lot of self denial amongst the soft left. Selling themselves out bit by bit in the name of ’winning’ and not even managing that

Politics isn’t a two sided coin. Only very few are one side or the other. 

The reason it’s called the political spectrum is because of the hugely wide range of views people have. 

If you only focus on a minority at one end of the spectrum then you’re likely to alienate many of those who don’t have the same intense attitude towards those views. 

The vast majority of the voting population aren’t biased towards one particular political leaning. 

Labour know they’re not going to please everyone with their ideology. They need to please as many as possible. 

Stick with them though, the alternative is eternal Tory rule and the crap we’re dealing with now will only get worse the longer they stay in power. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

A tory candidate* has switched to Labour. We’ve had this discussion before about the MP who switched.

There is a big difference between attracting those who voted tory but have basically little understanding of politics, and somebody who has studied politics and is deeply enough embedded in it to be a tory candidate, and presumably holds convictions that are antithetical to those that the Labour party was founded to represent.. But you know that.

Lot of self denial amongst the soft left. Selling themselves out bit by bit in the name of ’winning’ and not even managing that. Sad.

+ that the goodwill afforded to those on the rightward margin of the ’big tent’ is not afforded to those on the leftward margin, which draws ever nearer the centre, tells you a lot about what the goals of those in charge actually are - ie not really forming a winning coalition but instead just shifting the Labour party to the right. Because they are as motivated by ideology, and not winning, as the previous regime. Just that now the ideology is centre right rather than left. Double sad.

centrists of the world unite

Sort of politics related. I don’t really read newspapers but someone left one open on the bus this morning and I saw part of an article relating to a new Sky drama being made showing how Spaffer dealt with Covid. 

I’m predicting a very impartial and unbiased view if it’s being produced by Sky. 🙄

18 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Sort of politics related. I don’t really read newspapers but someone left one open on the bus this morning and I saw part of an article relating to a new Sky drama being made showing how Spaffer dealt with Covid. 

I’m predicting a very impartial and unbiased view if it’s being produced by Sky. 🙄

Kenneth Branagh is playing Johnson.

53 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Johnson has been told he won’t be getting anymore fines.

Of course he won’t, this has gone according to plan. We’ve all been completely mugged off. 

he should have got a ten grand fine. he did more than plenty of people who were fined ten grand.

Just have to see what's in Gray report. Johnson isn't resigning no matter what, it's all just down to whether MPs think he's not going to win them the next election, and at moment who knows. If Starmer gets fined and resigns that will be a huge wtf, but that's the gamble he took, and who knows what fallout from that would be...labour may get a better leader, and it might make Johnson look even worse, or it may just bring labour chaos and infighting to the fore again.