news & politics:discussion

zahidf

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, it is sad...there seems to be a bit of a bullying aspect towards Neil who is obviously strugggling, but at same time a bit of megalomania from Neil which doesn't help. Some people have set up an alternative discord site, and even a politics thread on there for the lols...but all seems a bit manic over there with gifs waving at you and stuff...a bit Glade compared to Leftfield.

I honestly don't know what discord is! I'm not in any rush to join something new so guess will see how this pans out. This and the Primavera threads (and Cave before it sadly went) are the only ones I've been visiting lately so I really had no idea all that was going on.

7 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hope you don't have it too badly! Get well soon.

Thank you. I knew it would get me at some stage!

I’m not excusing Neil’s language but I think it’s important to remember how ill he was last year which might go some way to explaining this. 

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fucking hell. I've been on this site for about 10 years or so and have seen Neil do this kind of thing from time to time, but I wouldn't be surprised if this goes a bit further and he finally shuts it down. I know he deleted the Nick Cave thread the other day, which seemed a bit extreme for a couple of trolls

Last Thursday I tried to find it to chat about the new Cave film and was left scratching my head about what on earth had happened. That Cave thread had loads of pages and if there had ever been troll activity in the past I'd missed it. Seems very extreme to delete an entire thread just because of a bit of trolling - could the offensive posts not have been deleted instead? What a waste.

I've been on the forum for a similar time to ZMG, mostly dipping in around festival time, but the pandemic changed that and instead made it a vital place to catch up on daily news and helped get a sense of how other people were coping. I've stayed on because I've enjoyed the differing views of those who regularly post here and I would definitely miss it if Neil pulled the plug, I hope it doesn't come to that, especially if the alternative is wading through endless memes and gifs.

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I found myself banned for a few hours over the weekend...no idea why..

Might explain some of your comments on the binfire thread yesterday!

Bollox, new binfire thread (gold membership cancelling one) has just got deleted before I managed to catch up with what on earth's going on...

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Basically people saying they don't like the forum anymore and saying they are going to leave because some people got banned for trolling and such like while still carrying on posting on the forum.  You know, the usal internet based me me me melodrama....

great summary,

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I found myself banned for a few hours over the weekend...no idea why..

a number of ip address ranges got blocked to block the trolls. worked too, as there was no trolling last night.from some emails i've had (with comments like yours) i  was blocking too much, so i've unblocked those ip addresses now.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Oh Liz - thats not good...

i thought you meant brenda who can open a train but cant open parliament.

Edited by Neil

3 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

Last Thursday I tried to find it to chat about the new Cave film and was left scratching my head about what on earth had happened. That Cave thread had loads of pages and if there had ever been troll activity in the past I'd missed it. Seems very extreme to delete an entire thread just because of a bit of trolling - could the offensive posts not have been deleted instead? What a waste.

I've been on the forum for a similar time to ZMG, mostly dipping in around festival time, but the pandemic changed that and instead made it a vital place to catch up on daily news and helped get a sense of how other people were coping. I've stayed on because I've enjoyed the differing views of those who regularly post here and I would definitely miss it if Neil pulled the plug, I hope it doesn't come to that, especially if the alternative is wading through endless memes and gifs.

I did exactly the same re Cave thread. I actually got a notification that someone had posted in my email but it wouldn't wokr so I checked if it had been deleted. Film was great, eh? 

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I did exactly the same re Cave thread. I actually got a notification that someone had posted in my email but it wouldn't wokr so I checked if it had been deleted. Film was great, eh?

Desperately trying to think of a politics angle to the film to make it on topic...but can't!

[OFF TOPIC: Yep, fab film, loved the whole ceramics thing at the beginning and the audience were roaring with laughter when Nick was describing Warren's creative process. The songs just keep getting better with each new way he performs them, and had the treat of spotting Polly J and her mum watching it a few rows down from us.]

• Upvote 1

I'll love it if the EU scraps visa free travel do everyone needs a visa for their hols. Will be direct pain back onto Brexit voters. 

Desperately trying to think of a politics angle to the film to make it on topic...but can't!

[OFF TOPIC: Yep, fab film, loved the whole ceramics thing at the beginning and the audience were roaring with laughter when Nick was describing Warren's creative process. The songs just keep getting better with each new way he performs them, and had the treat of spotting Polly J and her mum watching it a few rows down from us.]

Broadly my thoughts too! I thought it was beautifully shot. A real treat to watch. And the Marianne Faithfull bit was very cool and funny.

PJ Harvey? Kind of surprised by that! Felt like one for the mega fans only. 

Was thinking I might not see them at Primavera next month after the recent tragic news but Warren posted something about getting his Bad Seeds kit ready yesterday and there's been no cancellation so looks like it's on! 😀 Watching the film was tinged with sadness about not knowing when I was going to see them again.

OK sorry back to politics... will make another Cave thread when we can tie it back into him maybe playing Glastonbury!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
  • Like 1

Oh just thought of a way to tie it into politics! Cave riffing on retraining as a ceramicist as per the government's advice.

• Thanks 1