news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

first openly gay then.

But, I think they'd pick a woman, and I reckon that woman would be Nandy...but we may not know as Starmer may stay in place and be the next PM.

the outstanding female performer is still  Yvette Cooper.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

the outstanding female performer is still  Yvette Cooper.

yeah, she'd definitely be a contender, but not sure how popular she is within labour.

I think Nandy probably has the best chance of uniting different sides of labour, but at same time I have no idea if she'd actually be any good, labour leader is not an easy job.

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, she'd definitely be a contender, but not sure how popular she is within labour.

I think Nandy probably has the best chance of uniting different sides of labour, but at same time I have no idea if she'd actually be any good, labour leader is not an easy job.

nandy has been strikingly underwhelming in her shadow cabinet roles.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

can't see that the Lib Dems would go into a coalition again but encouraging that there is a route to government for Labour.

people vote to create an outcome and not for the outcome to be stitched-up without their vote, a pact isn't going to work out how many imagine.

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

people vote to create an outcome and not for the outcome to be stitched-up without their vote, a pact isn't going to work out how many imagine.

Yeah well that's how it works, if no overall majority then it will either be a coalition or minority govt that can't do anything and has to call another election.

A pact between lib Dems and labour makes sense in England if they're going to stand a chance of beating the Tories...but yes some voters won't like it, and I imagine some lib Dems voters would rather vote Tory than labour..and visa versa maybe.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah well that's how it works, if no overall majority then it will either be a coalition or minority govt that can't do anything and has to call another election.

A pact between lib Dems and labour makes sense in England if they're going to stand a chance of beating the Tories...but yes some voters won't like it, and I imagine some lib Dems voters would rather vote Tory than labour..and visa versa maybe.

If lab and lib dems had a formal pact, other voters will create an informal pact to create an outcome more to their liking. 

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

If lab and lib dems had a formal pact, other voters will create an informal pact to create an outcome more to their liking. 

But by doing what? I think an informal pact would mean labour or lib dem not standing in some places...not sure what alternative pact there is at moment. Also not sure it would work everywhere, but might help Tories lose that majority.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

can't see that the Lib Dems would go into a coalition again but encouraging that there is a route to government for Labour.

Completely and utterly deluded. Labour need to get their heads out of the sand ffs. 

The Tories got decimated at the local elections and Labour still didn’t make huge gains. The people do not want a Labour government, the disillusioned Labour voters that defected to the Tories used their local election vote to voice their displeasure at the government and still couldn’t bring themselves to vote Labour again. If a vote for the Lib Dems meant a vote for a Labour government they would barely get a look in. 

You would think the Labour Party would be worried that the best they could do against the worst government in living history was gain slightly more councillors than the Greens, but instead they’re treating it as a victory. Clueless. 

They haven’t gone anywhere near far enough to repair the damage done by the momentum idiots. 

6 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Completely and utterly deluded. Labour need to get their heads out of the sand ffs. 

The Tories got decimated at the local elections and Labour still didn’t make huge gains. The people do not want a Labour government, the disillusioned Labour voters that defected to the Tories used their local election vote to voice their displeasure at the government and still couldn’t bring themselves to vote Labour again. If a vote for the Lib Dems meant a vote for a Labour government they would barely get a look in. 

You would think the Labour Party would be worried that the best they could do against the worst government in living history was gain slightly more councillors than the Greens, but instead they’re treating it as a victory. Clueless. 

They haven’t gone anywhere near far enough to repair the damage done by the momentum idiots. 

2018 was a good set of results for labour in England, and they improved on it, and also made some gains in Scotland. Yes it isn't like mid 90s, but the country isn't. They are nowhere near winning a majority, but they are doing a lot better than a few years ago when people were writing them off for at least a couple of election cycles.

1 minute ago, BobWillis2 said:

Isn’t that the point? This government should be getting obliterated at every turn, but they’re not, because the alternative is not what the British public want either. 

Well yeah, maybe..but a lot of people don't follow politics much anyway, think they're all as guilty as each other with the partygate thing, think covid and Russia are the reason for the cost of living crisis, and still like Boris Johnson cause he got Brexit done. With Scotland gone to snp it is even harder for labour...england are majority Tory and have been most of time for last 40 years (and longer). Only time labour got in was by not looking like labour. If cost of living crisis continues to get worse and economy remains screwed who knows, maybe people will get fed up with Tories and want something different, but what labour needs to do is look like they're fit to govern and could  improve things...

12 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Isn’t that the point? This government should be getting obliterated at every turn, but they’re not, because the alternative is not what the British public want either. 

the british public don't want a message of we're all fucked.

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Thread about column by Johnson in Belfast Telegraph in which he argues the need to rip up NI protocol to save Good Friday agreement.

Almost as if he ignored his own rhetoric with his 'oven-ready deal'. Mendacious cock.