news & politics:discussion

zahidf

On 5/13/2022 at 4:41 PM, steviewevie said:

I mean...wtf...

Unfortunately this is what happens when fascists are given a free pass by conducting a highly successful campaign seeking to obfuscate criticism of their actions with racism.

The mask is hanging on by a thread, you just wonder how far the atrocities need to go before something like boycott, divest and sanctions becomes policy. The fear is, as with Russia, that it’ll be too little too late and the genocide will be counted in the tens if not hundreds of thousands of lost lives. Its absolutely tragic.

The parallells with Russia are plain to see, state sponsored genocide by a fascist occupational power with a view to create a ’Greater Israel/Russia’ borne of some warped interpretation of history and the belief that the land rightfully belongs to their people. Blood and soil fascism. Plain and simple.

Edited by mattiloy

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Someone told me recently that ‘data don’t lie’.

Eh? Last time I checked 28 was a lower number than 29?

And then he’s added another 3% on disapprove..

These aren’t good numbers..

You know, you shouldn’t try to be a smart arse if you can’t pull it off.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Does UK coming 2nd in eurovision (would have won it if not for that pesky Putin) mean that we're officially popular again? Cool Britannia 2.0?

I don’t know but one thing we can guarantee is Boris Johnson will take all the credit for it.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Does UK coming 2nd in eurovision (would have won it if not for that pesky Putin) mean that we're officially popular again? Cool Britannia 2.0?

Ukraine were always going to win it. There was an agreement in place that 2nd place would host next years and foot the very considerable bill for doing so. 

The EU knew exactly what they were doing when giving us 12 points. All the cost with non of the glory. 

15 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Ukraine were always going to win it. There was an agreement in place that 2nd place would host next years and foot the very considerable bill for doing so. 

The EU knew exactly what they were doing when giving us 12 points. All the cost with non of the glory. 

oh...the cheeky bastards.

11 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Leadbetter for deputy.

Maybe so. I’ve seen some stories that Labour staffers are briefing that Starmer’s team went back to work whilst Rayner did not. Rayner is also maybe the least right wing and just about the only member of the shadow cabinet with a consistently net positive approval rating.. so it makes sense that they’d try to get rid of her.

But Leadbetter is a strange choice for a replacement. I guess she is right wing enough but besides that from what I’ve seen she’s poor in front of a camera and in addition probably 50/50 to lose her seat in the next election..

11 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Eh? Last time I checked 28 was a lower number than 29?

And then he’s added another 3% on disapprove..

These aren’t good numbers..

You know, you shouldn’t try to be a smart arse if you can’t pull it off.

11 hours ago, steviewevie said:

🤔

Apparently drinking at a music festival means you don’t pay enough attention 😂 sorry chaps. 

14 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Maybe so. I’ve seen some stories that Labour staffers are briefing that Starmer’s team went back to work whilst Rayner did not. Rayner is also maybe the least right wing and just about the only member of the shadow cabinet with a consistently net positive approval rating.. so it makes sense that they’d try to get rid of her.

But Leadbetter is a strange choice for a replacement. I guess she is right wing enough but besides that from what I’ve seen she’s poor in front of a camera and in addition probably 50/50 to lose her seat in the next election..

Well Rayner says she'll resign if fined by police, but if that doesn't happen maybe she'll stand for leader if Starmer quits after next election. I only said about Leadbetter as that is what someone suggest in that observer article.. Streeting and Leadbetter running together for leader and deputy.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Well Rayner says she'll resign if fined by police, but if that doesn't happen maybe she'll stand for leader if Starmer quits after next election. I only said about Leadbetter as that is what someone suggest in that observer article.. Streeting and Leadbetter running together for leader and deputy.

It could just be a slow news day and they are reading too much into a normal fundraiser.

14 hours ago, mattiloy said:

he belief that the land rightfully belongs to their people

there's more than one side making claims of ownership due to history.

but also, most Israeli's have been born in Israel, while most Palestinians have not been born within 'historical Palestine' at some point they'll need to update their justifications with reference to the facts.

Edited by Neil

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I did see Zelensky suggest that they could try to host it in Mariupol but I suspect next year might be too soon for such a project.

If the UK is requested to do it, I'm sure we could help out. But where could host it? Presume London O2 or maybe Manchester Arena?

Edited by charlierc

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and Streeting is one of the favourites at moment

who are these morons, are they the same people who thought corbyn was a good choice?

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

who are these morons, are they the same people who thought corbyn was a good choice?

these morons are the media and bookies...and those on labour right who think starmer is a bit shit.

Also, he's pretty good at the media stuff, is bright, has a good back story...but is maybe more ideological than starmer, more to right of party, more blairite...corbynites hate him. The one thing going against him is his gender.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

these morons are the media and bookies...and those on labour right who think starmer is a bit shit.

starmer is a bit shit, but streeting is a lot shit, starmer is the best labour have they're not getting elected with someone else.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The one thing going against him is his gender.

and that those who talk him up cant count past one.

34 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'm sure people are thinking who could replace Starmer...it is only natural...and Streeting is one of the favourites at moment, along with Nandy.

Oh no doubt people are always planning a succession plan. I just am not convinced that there is a grand plan for Leadbetter to be deputy leader. I doubt she has the support.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Also, he's pretty good at the media stuff, is bright, has a good back story...but is maybe more ideological than starmer, more to right of party, more blairite...corbynites hate him. The one thing going against him is his gender.

Maybe he could get past the gender on the basis he could be the first gay leader.