news & politics:discussion

zahidf

57 minutes ago, zahidf said:

As someone with mobility issues I sympathise with liz. But she'll never be unable to get a taxi and try getting herself home

Just now, steviewevie said:

this country will go into meltdown when she dies.

Haven't you heard she's coffin dodging already. 

It’s leadership as well, he’s shown that no matter how much he might want to be PM if he’s found to have broken the law then he will do the right thing and resign. He’s a decent man and as every week or month goes on I admire him even more.

I truly believe he would make a damn good PM if given the chance. 

7 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It’s leadership as well, he’s shown that no matter how much he might want to be PM if he’s found to have broken the law then he will do the right thing and resign. He’s a decent man and as every week or month goes on I admire him even more.

I truly believe he would make a damn good PM if given the chance. 

yes, he's lovely etc...but let's not get too deluded, this is politics. He went for the jugular on Johnson and co over partygate, and mostly got a lot of praise for it...but that left him with little choice but to resign himself if found to have broken the rules otherwise he looks incredibly hypocritical. It is certainly high stakes, him and Rayner's political careers could be over in a few weeks/months depending on what Durham police do.

I actually think it's silly getting the police involved with all this, including investigating parties in downing st. We had the Gray report which if had fully come out may have been enough for the political damage to Johnson to be too much and MPs to move against him, as it is we have these opaque police investigations which take ages and due to time taken and other things happening Johnson won't quit or be kicked out, and now tories/media have been pusing for police to investigate Starmer and now they're under even more pressure after what Starmer said yesterday. The whole thing is a bit of a farce.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

yes, he's lovely etc...but let's not get too deluded, this is politics. He went for the jugular on Johnson and co over partygate, and mostly got a lot of praise for it...but that left him with little choice but to resign himself if found to have broken the rules otherwise he looks incredibly hypocritical. It is certainly high stakes, him and Rayner's political careers could be over in a few weeks/months depending on what Durham police do.

I actually think it's silly getting the police involved with all this, including investigating parties in downing st. We had the Gray report which if had fully come out may have been enough for the political damage to Johnson to be too much and MPs to move against him, as it is we have these opaque police investigations which take ages and due to time taken and other things happening Johnson won't quit or be kicked out, and now tories/media have been pusing for police to investigate Starmer and now they're under even more pressure after what Starmer said yesterday. The whole thing is a bit of a farce.

He’s done what many people think he didn’t have in him. He believes enough in his principles and convictions that he’s willing to put his career on the line for it. He’s everything we need in a PM. 

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He’s done what many people think he didn’t have in him. He believes enough in his principles and convictions that he’s willing to put his career on the line for it. He’s everything we need in a PM. 

he likes a beer and a curry too like a proper lad.

Queen's speech today, minus the Queen. Will hippy Charles approve of what he's having to read out. Anyway, I wonder if there will be credible stuff in there to fix cost of living crisis and on levelling up, or will it be the usual culture war guff, stop those pesky enviromentalist protesters, bit of woke ch4 privatisation etc. There has been talk of house building, Gove saying it's why tories doing badly which is quite a take. They do need to build more homes though, homeowners more likely to vote tories and prices have made buying a first house impossible for most people under 30s, but nimbys in tory shires don't want new houses built...so it never gets resolved.

Edited by steviewevie

Given the turnout of local elections, particularly from the apathy amongst tories at the time, and the distribution of the council seats, it is fair to say that they are a poor measure of voting intention in a hypothetical general election.

Furthermore, the Beer Starmer story dropped on the day of the election, the fieldwork carried on to the following day.

Hate to break it to you @Ozannebut the data don’t lie.