news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

It’s only a bit of fun, I’m not sure what else I’ve said suggests insincerity. Although I do find it quite funny that this might mead to his downfall. 
And I’d add that you have no idea what my political leanings are 🙂 

Sorry if I've got that wrong then.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Sorry if I've got that wrong then.

No worries. 

for what it’s worth I view it as any political leaders job to win me over, and as of now Starmer hasn’t at all, though will probably still end up voting labour 

same thing with corbyn. 

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

isn't there a lag with this sort of thing?

Are there any politicians who actually have positive approval ratings anymore?

Not really, with Partygate is was pretty instant. That's not to say it won't impact Starmer's rating but at the moment it isn't.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Not a huge dent and only going to the Greens which would indicate this Berate isn't having much of an impact yet.

when i see 5% for the SNP I know the polling is dodgy.

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

I’ve always wondered why Andy Burnham has never been considered a frontrunner previously. Has always come across very well. 

He was the front runner in 2015. Would almost certainly have won if it wasn't for MPs lending votes to get Corbyn on the ballot. This puts huge pressure on the police knowing the result of their investigation could remove the leader of the opposition.

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

This puts huge pressure on the police knowing the result of their investigation could remove the leader of the opposition.

they coped with their investistion possibly removing the PM.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

He was the front runner in 2015. Would almost certainly have won if it wasn't for MPs lending votes to get Corbyn on the ballot. This puts huge pressure on the police knowing the result of their investigation could remove the leader of the opposition.

The Tories have already put immense pressure on the Police for this anyway.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

He ran in 2015 but after that he went on to become Mayor of Manchester so as he's not an MP he's not really spoken of as a serious contender.

If the MPs agreed to elect him without a leadership contest he could easily get back in by someone resigning from a safe seat.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If the MPs agreed to elect him without a leadership contest he could easily get back in by someone resigning from a safe seat.

There wouldn’t be enough time with selection and then the by-election. I think it’s part of Labours constitution where the person has to be an MP so I’m not sure he could run for leadership before. The optics would look awful.