news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I reckon he waited these 2 days and has got the feeling he’ll be exonerated hence why he’s done this.

It seems pretty clear he’s done nothing wrong. 

I haven't read enough about it to know either way but I agree, he must be confident he will be found innocent to make that promise.

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I haven't read enough about it to know either way but I agree, he must be confident he will be found innocent to make that promise.

apparently he didn't want to but has been persuaded...probably because if he was fined the pressure to quit would be massive anyway.

I've just seen that Durham police weren't originally going to investigate as they didn't think any rules had been broken. Probably just doing so now to make absolutely sure and put the issue to bed.

Did Met police every make a similar statement about Boris etc? (That they didn't think any rules had been broken before investigating)

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I've just seen that Durham police weren't originally going to investigate as they didn't think any rules had been broken. Probably just doing so now to make absolutely sure and put the issue to bed.

Did Met police every make a similar statement about Boris etc? (That they didn't think any rules had been broken before investigating)

They got "new significant information", probably because they had been told a few untruths by labour originally. It's probably the nuimber of people there, Rayner being there, allegations that some people got pissed, the planned meal etc

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

yes, think so. It was after seeing the stuff in the Sue Gray report they opened the investigation, meaning she had to leave some incriminating stuff out of report. I always thought that was a bit weird.

I don't trust the cops.

You don’t get to the top of the CPS without knowing your stuff when it comes to what is in breach of the rules or not. If he did break the law he would know and would already have stepped down. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Starmer himself who prompted the story. Perfect antidote to the law breaking that is happening on the other side of the house. 

The lawman vs the criminal. Could make a good western. 

19 minutes ago, rock the clock said:

Didn’t they say that about Dominic Cummings tho? That there was a minor breach of the rules but not enough to fine… or something along those lines 

Not quite. They said that that they did not consider an offence to have been committed.

They also said that a minor breach relating to lockdown rules might have occurred but because there was no apparent breach of the social distancing rules, no action would be taken at that point.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Not quite. They said that that they did not consider an offence to have been committed.

They also said that a minor breach relating to lockdown rules might have occurred but because there was no apparent breach of the social distancing rules, no action would be taken at that point.

Right. So theoretically the same could be said for Keith? 
it didn’t look great for Cummings 

1 minute ago, rock the clock said:

Right. So theoretically the same could be said for Keith? 
it didn’t look great for Cummings 

Theoretically but that would mean he hasn't broken the law. He either has and will be fined or hasn't and won't be.

Just now, DareToDibble said:

I’ve always wondered why Andy Burnham has never been considered a frontrunner previously. Has always come across very well. 

He ran in 2015 but after that he went on to become Mayor of Manchester so as he's not an MP he's not really spoken of as a serious contender.

Just now, rock the clock said:

What’s that supposed to mean?

Keith tends to be what the angry Corbyn supporters call Starmer, the ones who'll constantly criticise no matter what happens so as such won't be entering into a discussion with any sincerity.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Keith tends to be what the angry Corbyn supporters call Starmer, the ones who'll constantly criticise no matter what happens so as such won't be entering into a discussion with any sincerity.

It’s only a bit of fun, I’m not sure what else I’ve said suggests insincerity. Although I do find it quite funny that this might mead to his downfall. 
And I’d add that you have no idea what my political leanings are 🙂