news & politics:discussion

zahidf

lol just read that there was also boundary changes which affected every ward, + turnout was down 5%, + the tories still held onto the wards with the highest % jewish populations - golders green and garden suburb...

anyway, now you see how spin works folks!

Labour have clearly made progress given how the Jewish community felt after Corbyn, they still have a way to go but the results so far look encouraging. The far left for some reason are desperate to rubbish any type of Labour progress, bad faith actors all of them. 

I'm kinda finding it bizarre how the DUP lost their lead as biggest part in the Northern Irish Assembly yet seem to be getting what they want in the form of the UK government trying to throw the NI Protocol under the bus and potentially start a full trade war with the EU at a time when the UK and EU are on the same side of the Russia-Ukraine crisis and when UK food prices are already escalating without imported food getting tariffs added. Just such a mess.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

They are obsessed. They didn’t give anywhere near this level of coverage to the actual Prime Minister that broke his own laws.

They’re also calling Dennis Waterman a ‘rough diamond’. Seems a bit wishy washy for an abuser?

7 hours ago, charlierc said:

I'm kinda finding it bizarre how the DUP lost their lead as biggest part in the Northern Irish Assembly yet seem to be getting what they want in the form of the UK government trying to throw the NI Protocol under the bus and potentially start a full trade war with the EU at a time when the UK and EU are on the same side of the Russia-Ukraine crisis and when UK food prices are already escalating without imported food getting tariffs added. Just such a mess.

Works well for tories to keep those Brexit fires burning. In some places anyway.

I'm fairly neutral on Starmer and I do think the whole situation is a bit unfair given the difference in what he is accused of and what the Tories were up to. But politics is all about optics at the end of the day isn't it? If it starts to damage the party he has to go and if that has the added benefit of hurting the Tories surely that's worth doing.

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm fairly neutral on Starmer and I do think the whole situation is a bit unfair given the difference in what he is accused of and what the Tories were up to. But politics is all about optics at the end of the day isn't it? If it starts to damage the party he has to go and if that has the added benefit of hurting the Tories surely that's worth doing.

yeah, if he's found to have broken the rules then surely he resigns and then that hurts Johnson...if found innocent then that hurts Johnson. The worse thing he can do is try and stay put if found guilty and fined.

yesterday i heard a tory politician say something about labour being in thral to the public sector unions, reckon that's their next line of attack, playing on the idea of the public sector being overpaid and that labour want to pay them more.

Edited by Neil

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

yesterday i heard a tory politician say something about labour being in thral to the public sector unions, reckon that's their next line of attack, playing on the idea of the public sector being overpaid and that labour want to pay them more.

I think a lot of people are going to feel underpaid with all this inflation

1 hour ago, Neil said:

I'd like to see these Tory bastards survive on my pittance of a public sector wage!

If he gets a FPN and resigns then I would of thought it unlikely that Johnson (or Sunak) will consider his position. Yes, it might prompt a flurry of letters to the 1922, maybe even trigger a vote, but I think it's likely he will survive a vote [can't remember if 1922 changed the rules or is it still that he'd be safe from another confidence vote for a year?].

I hear people saying that it if Starmer doesn't get a FPN then it'll give him more authority to challenge Johnson if he gets some more or if it's a troublesome Gray report...but I don't think it'll change the operation big dog crew who will still go on about how it's time to move on blah blah, more important things blah blah.

It's all been a Dancing Squirrel to deflect from the local elections and the squirrel has danced a blinder.