news & politics:discussion

zahidf

52 minutes ago, lost said:

They seemed ready to unite behind Gardiner when Starmer wasn't hysterical enough about Covid. I would think the Chinese spy thing has finished that and as you say there isn't an obvious candidate.

I noticed Diane Abbott was in not so many words calling for Starmer to go if he's fined on the beeb. That's the first MP I've seen to really break rank.

I don't think they would have the support to get on the ballot, the vote lending days of Abbott and Corbyn are gone. Gardner wouldn't be part of any breakaway, he is a party loyalist.

1 hour ago, lost said:

I noticed Diane Abbott was in not so many words calling for Starmer to go if he's fined on the beeb. That's the first MP I've seen to really break rank.

playing it for Jez, as she always has.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe Tories want Starmer to actually remain labour leader because he is so unpopular...bit like Labour wanting Johnson to remain in place too.

actually they probably just don't want him to resign as that would increase pressure on Johnson to do the same.

I like that this thread has become my own personal substack type blog which no one reads.

I only watched that Andrew Neil thing because it has Pippa Crerrar on and she has about 20 seconds worth of air time. The rest was Neil doing his oh so tough interviewing thing on Rees-Mogg.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I like that this thread has become my own personal substack type blog which no one reads.

I only watched that Andrew Neil thing because it has Pippa Crerrar on and she has about 20 seconds worth of air time. The rest was Neil doing his oh so tough interviewing thing on Rees-Mogg.

I read it dear Sir. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe Tories want Starmer to actually remain labour leader because he is so unpopular...bit like Labour wanting Johnson to remain in place too.

Is Starmer "so unpopular". I get the impression he doesn't have a great strength of feeling one way or the other.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Is Starmer "so unpopular". I get the impression he doesn't have a great strength of feeling one way or the other.

He’s currently the most popular mainstream politician in the country. 

If Starmer is found to have been in breach of the rules he has to walk.

Even if its some minor transgression, ’well it was just a beer and a curry after work’ doesn’t cut it when many people had to forego seeing dying relatives.

The scale of the tories carry on is of course another thing, but its the principle of believing that the rules that many people observed so strictly that they underwent a fair degree of personal trauma to do so - that those rules did not apply to politicians.

And then of course there would be the hypocrisy of it..

Wouldn’t surprise me if Mandelson/Streeting have been sitting on this new evidence for the last year telling him to go all in on Johnson and partygate, knowing that he’d tie himself into a corner. Then the locals are disappointing, theres a bit of dissent amongst Labour backbenches, and boom, the new evidence drops, meanwhile Streeting is out first and lots in the media post election, its in essence the start of his leadership campaign.

10/1 on Wes Streeting for next Labour leader. Worth a flutter imo. Could be paid out sooner than you think.

If Starmer does go before the end of the year, and all he achieved in 3 years as leader is the decimation of Labour members with any kind of progressive views, and the alienation of the unions.

And if you consider that there is no way in hell that Wes Streeting or Rachel Reeves or someone of that irk would be able to win a leadership election before… 

Then you could say his job as martyr for the ghoulish right wing of the party has been executed with aplomb. The runway has been cleared, ready for big Wesley chopper to make his landing.

Edited by mattiloy

Just now, mattiloy said:

If Starmer is found to have been in breach of the rules he has to walk.

Even if its some minor transgression, ’well it was just a beer and a curry after work’ doesn’t cut it when many people had to forego seeing dying relatives.

The scale of the tories carry on is of course another thing, but its the principle of believing that the rules that many people observed so strictly that they underwent a fair degree of personal trauma to do so - that those rules did not apply to politicians.

And then of course there would be the hypocrisy of it..

10/1 on Wes Streeting for next Labour leader. Worth a flutter imo. Could be paid out sooner than you think.

If Starmer does go before the end of the year, and all he achieved in 3 years as leader is the decimation of Labour members with any kind of progressive views, and the alienation of the unions.

And if you consider that there is no way in hell that Wes Streeting or Rachel Reeves or someone of that irk would be able to win a leadership election before… 

Then you could say his job as martyr for the ghoulish right wing of the party has been executed with aplomb. The runway has been cleared, ready for big Wesley chopper to make his landing.

at least he got rid of all the jew hate.

12 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

If Starmer does go before the end of the year, and all he achieved in 3 years as leader is the decimation of Labour members with any kind of progressive views, and the alienation of the unions

Still achieved more than Corbyn 

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Yeah?

+ would be kinda cool to see the forde report sometime no? I mean, its only what, 2 years late?

E4CE3567-B20E-4B25-BC47-238D3EED879C.jpeg

Yeah. Ask the voters of Barnet. Maybe you just think it was smears and Corbyn is whiter than white and Starmer is a c**t etc forever and ever. But just go ask the voters of Barnet.

image.thumb.png.921cc4d64c10f9af352ce319042aeccd.png

The jewish Labour vote wasn't exactly thriving pre-Corbyn..

+ only 15% of Barnet council residents are Jewish and here's a quote from the tory council leader in the wake of their win in 2018.

image.thumb.png.2bb87387a121e54e7dc3295222de1357.png

I have to say that this is being spun into some great vindication of the witchhunt in the centrist echo chamber is pretty desperate. The reality is that these local results (even still largely unaffected by the fallout from the beer and curry thing) point towards a situation whereby Labour may not even by the largest party come 2024, and given all thats gone on, thats pretty shocking.

Edited by mattiloy