news & politics:discussion

zahidf

If it is found that he broke the rules he has to resign. You can't call for the prime minister to resign and then not do so yourself for the same crime. That would look terrible.

On the other hand, if he resigns then it will send an even more powerful signal that Johnson should do likewise.

I hate that this is now the focus though. Very skilfully done.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

If it is found that he broke the rules he has to resign. You can't call for the prime minister to resign and then not do so yourself for the same crime. That would look terrible.

On the other hand, if he resigns then it will send an even more powerful signal that Johnson should do likewise.

The Tory press have played a blinder here.

Bigger picture: Tories did badly, off the back of partygate and cost of living. Labour have done well but still need to do more to win over what was once traditional labour areas in N/mid England. Lib Dems had a good night, as did the Greens. Beergate could be end of Starmer, probably end of partygate damage to Johnson remaining leader. Seems unfair to me, but there you go. Economy is fucked and looks like will remain that way for next year or so...that could be main factor leading up to next gen election. SNP still popular in Scotland, Sinn Fein now largest party in NI Assembly, so UK remaining united still looks uncertain.

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Tories on 460 odd losses, what a disaster of an election for them. 

They won’t want to talk about that though because someone had a beer with a curry. 

My local seat didn’t change hands unsurprisingly. They actually increased their vote share. 

A big contributing factor is the local Facebook group. There’s a blanket ban on discussing politics in there including local politics. The only political post you see is made by the local Tory councillor who also happens to be one of the group admins.

Definitely knows how to control the information the local populace see. 

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

They won’t want to talk about that though because someone had a beer with a curry. 

My local seat didn’t change hands unsurprisingly. They actually increased their vote share. 

A big contributing factor is the local Facebook group. There’s a blanket ban on discussing politics in there including local politics. The only political post you see is made by the local Tory councillor who also happens to be one of the group admins.

Definitely knows how to control the information the local populace see. 

We had similar on our local community Facebook group. Our Labour rep wanted to do a walk round to see what the most pressing issues are and invited the elusive Tory MP to work together and just got accused of ‘political point scoring’ and being a ‘social media justice warrior’.

They eventually did meet up and work together - looked bad on the Tory MP. Labour got in today, which is thoroughly deserved.

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It isn't though. Their reviewing it, which currently means nowt. 

There's also the rumoured further fines for Downing Street, plus then the Gray report. 

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

It isn't though. Their reviewing it, which currently means nowt. 

There's also the rumoured further fines for Downing Street, plus then the Gray report. 

yeah, it isn't actually anywhere near the main news on BBC...but certainly is on front page of some of the newspapers...The Mail and Sun loving it of course (Express amazingly trying to spin the election results as good for Johnson)....and I'm sure Johnson will bring it up in next PMQs a few times. If police find wrong doing then it certainly will be big news, especially if Starmer does resign.

42 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

The front pages show where loyalties lie - The Scum language of ‘Hypocrite Keir Starmer’ will cut through.

I guess we’ll see with any polling that comes out but I have a feeling we’ll see Labour’s leads fall. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Talking of who might replace Starmer I keep forgetting about Streeting, he has to be one of the favourites too... although surely they will elect a woman this time.

If Sadiq or Burnham could get back you would think they stand a chance. Streeting since he has been health secretary has looked the most effective in terms of media, but as you say calls for woman could be overwhelming.

It’s awfully convenient that there’s no another story to distract from the disastrous election results for the Tories.

It’s also awfully convenient that there is still no news from the Met even though Durham Police we’re happy to announce their investigation the day after the elections.

The Tories play politics on easy mode. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

If Sadiq or Burnham could get back you would think they stand a chance. Streeting since he has been health secretary has looked the most effective in terms of media, but as you say calls for woman could be overwhelming.

I imagine Burnham would be a shoe in if he was still in parliament, but he isn't. Maybe one day. Not sure about Khan.

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s awfully convenient that there’s no another story to distract from the disastrous election results for the Tories.

It’s also awfully convenient that there is still no news from the Met even though Durham Police we’re happy to announce their investigation the day after the elections.

The Tories play politics on easy mode. 

I mean the Mail were pushing this as were some Tory MPs, and they did uncover some stuff that labour had lied about...the amount of people there, Rayner being there...and I guess that is why police are now investigating. Doesn't look good really. I mean, as it stands it could still be considered a break during work, but then so could Johnson's birthday cake...and with the amount of grief Starmer has been giving Johnson over this...I don't know..not great.

But...at same time...it's a blow, but not the end of the world for labour if Starmer goes, he's not exactly set the world alight. He has done a good job on distancing labour from some unpopular parts of Corbyn's labour, but in doing so as made a lot of enemies on the left who will rejoice if he is forced out (until Streeting, Cooper or Reeves replaces him). He is also good at all the grown up stuff especially in contrast to Johnson, but he is also kind of boring. I mean...who would you rather have a beer with...Johnson or Starmer? 🙃

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

who would you rather have a beer with...Johnson or Starmer

Starmer. There’s no way Spaffer is paying his share of the bill at the end of the night. 

Back on local election news. Heavy Tory losses in the parts of Wakefield where the upcoming by-election will be held. That looks like it’s almost certain to be a loss. 

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean the Mail were pushing this as were some Tory MPs, and they did uncover some stuff that labour had lied about...the amount of people there, Rayner being there...and I guess that is why police are now investigating. Doesn't look good really. I mean, as it stands it could still be considered a break during work, but then so could Johnson's birthday cake...and with the amount of grief Starmer has been giving Johnson over this...I don't know..not great.

But...at same time...it's a blow, but not the end of the world for labour if Starmer goes, he's not exactly set the world alight. He has done a good job on distancing labour from some unpopular parts of Corbyn's labour, but in doing so as made a lot of enemies on the left who will rejoice if he is forced out (until Streeting, Cooper or Reeves replaces him). He is also good at all the grown up stuff especially in contrast to Johnson, but he is also kind of boring. I mean...who would you rather have a beer with...Johnson or Starmer? 🙃

None of what the Mail has ‘uncovered’ means anything though, all of which was within the rules of campaigning. The Police has only started an investigation now due to significant amounts of pressure.